It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• lexapro for panic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
    jennifer.e
    (female)

jennifer.e HB User
    lexapro for panic?

Hi, I am 23yrs. and I have a huge fear of taking meds. I was hospitalized for depression when I was 16 and I felt like a science experiment with all of the meds they were trying out on me. I remember having horrible reactions to them. My blood pressure would drop and I would get the spins and so on... Prozac and Zyprexa were the only ones I could deal with. I took them for 2 years. Now I am suffering from horrible anxiety attacks and I am always nervous wich makes my heart flutter. My doc just gave me Lexapro and I have read some scary things about it on these boards I just read that it is not helpful for panic attacks and can actually cause them to happen. I dont understand. Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 07:45 PM   #2
    Dmhr

Dmhr HB User
    Re: lexapro for panic?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennifer.e
    Hi, I am 23yrs. and I have a huge fear of taking meds. I was hospitalized for depression when I was 16 and I felt like a science experiment with all of the meds they were trying out on me. I remember having horrible reactions to them. My blood pressure would drop and I would get the spins and so on... Prozac and Zyprexa were the only ones I could deal with. I took them for 2 years. Now I am suffering from horrible anxiety attacks and I am always nervous wich makes my heart flutter. My doc just gave me Lexapro and I have read some scary things about it on these boards I just read that it is not helpful for panic attacks and can actually cause them to happen. I dont understand. Please help.
    Hi, I first had a panic attack 2 months ago. I went to the doctor and she also gave me lexapro. I hate taking a lot of medication too, and I ended up only taking one! Anyway, she also gave me an anxiety pill which is lorazepan. I've taken some of these and they really help, but I try not to take them unless I really can't sleep. The worse time for me is at night, and then I usually only take 1/2 of a pill. I just hope that I don't continue with these attacks, because they are awful! Anyway, my doctor said that the lexapro would prevent panic attacks, but I don't think I'm depressed. They only time I think I'm depressed lately is if I'm in an attack! I think maybe you could try the lexapro because I've also read a lot of good from it. Good Luck!

Old 02-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi Jennifer

lexapro is a prozac type med and often helps with anxiety, panic attacks and depression, you could again take prozac instead if you trust it more

Old 02-19-2004, 03:52 PM   #4
    jennifer.e
    (female)

jennifer.e HB User

Thanks for the replies. I cant take prozac anymore. I have pretty bad pvc's and was told that prozac would make my heart jumpy.

Old 02-19-2004, 07:36 PM   #5
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

You just answered one of my questions.....I was on prozac and My heart got jumpy, it just didn't seem to do the trick so I am starting lexapro 10mg tomorrow, I have severe anxiety,ocd, and panic attacks(panic disorder)
    Hope it helps us!!! Carly

Old 02-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #6
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennifer.e
    Thanks for the replies. I cant take prozac anymore. I have pretty bad pvc's and was told that prozac would make my heart jumpy.

To Jennifer and Worrywort,

I have been on Lexapro now for almost 5 months. I have been feeling pretty good. I feel like myself again. I had to start on 5mg because the 10 mg dose was just too strong for me at first. It felt like I drank a whole pot of coffee after I took it, so don't be scared if you feel that way the first few days....you can always lower the dose.

It is a VERY good drug and it DOES help panic attacks. I had severe panic attacks and was put in the hospital for a week. I couldn't even funtion right. Now since I've been on Lexapro, I've got my life back

Chantel

Old 02-20-2004, 12:39 AM   #7
    Weeping Willow

Weeping Willow HB User

OMG, don't get me started on Lexapro
    I took 2months supply and have had HORRIBLE insomnia since. I have been off of it for almost 2 weeks now and still have insomnia. Nothing seems to make me sleep.
    I am on birthcontrol pills and missed a full period (they're usually bad even on the pill)....after making 3trips to the gyn, finding out my prolactin level was out the roof and my breasts were engorged with milk, had an ultrasound of my pelvis, and had a very light period the next month I do a search online and found that lexapro can cause elevated prolactin levels. Which in turn made me miss my MP, gain 5pounds of water weight, blah blah blah.

I hate Lexapro! I would rather be depressed than bloated, up all day and night, mood swings, etc... I really hope it works for everyone else. It just wasnt' for me.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:56 AM   #8
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Weeping Willow
    OMG, don't get me started on Lexapro
    I took 2months supply and have had HORRIBLE insomnia since. I have been off of it for almost 2 weeks now and still have insomnia. Nothing seems to make me sleep.
    I am on birthcontrol pills and missed a full period (they're usually bad even on the pill)....after making 3trips to the gyn, finding out my prolactin level was out the roof and my breasts were engorged with milk, had an ultrasound of my pelvis, and had a very light period the next month I do a search online and found that lexapro can cause elevated prolactin levels. Which in turn made me miss my MP, gain 5pounds of water weight, blah blah blah.

I hate Lexapro! I would rather be depressed than bloated, up all day and night, mood swings, etc... I really hope it works for everyone else. It just wasnt' for me.

I just want to let you and others know that Lexapro is NOT the only SSRI that causes insomnia. I have also been on Paxil and Prozac and they too cause insomnia, so it is not just Lexapro.(Insomnia is one of the symptoms of SSRI drugs. The pamflet that comes with your orescription will say that.)

Now about the light period and such.....birth control pills CAN cause this. When I was on them, I had very, very sore breast and my periods were all out of wack. I can also say that since I've been on Lexapro I have had normal periods every month. Before I would skip months and even went a year without one!

I know not all pills work the same on all people, but I think most of your symptoms were related to the birth control pill and not Lexapro.

Chantel

Old 02-20-2004, 06:00 AM   #9
    Weeping Willow

Weeping Willow HB User

I have been on BCP pills most of my adult life. I'm almost 30, none of the symptoms occured until I started Lexapro. I have a bad history of allergies to meds and adverse reactions. I'm almost certain it was the Lexapro that caused my problems. Like I said, I have adverse reactions to lots of meds. It just wasn't right for me. I also had a reaction to Paxil. I took it for one week. One hour after taking the first one I started having bad ab cramps/vomitting/excess trips to the bathroom. I lost 6-7 pounds in the week I took it. My symptoms stopped 1-2days after stopping Paxil. I guess anti-depressents are not for me.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:37 AM   #10
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Chantel, Thank you for the info on lexapro, Prozac gave me insomnia for a bit but it did go away. My doc is going to have me take the lexapro at night, Do you think that is best? I took Prozac in the morning. I really hope this works for me.Thanks again Carly

Old 02-20-2004, 10:36 PM   #11
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Weeping Willow
    I have been on BCP pills most of my adult life. I'm almost 30, none of the symptoms occured until I started Lexapro. I have a bad history of allergies to meds and adverse reactions. I'm almost certain it was the Lexapro that caused my problems. Like I said, I have adverse reactions to lots of meds. It just wasn't right for me. I also had a reaction to Paxil. I took it for one week. One hour after taking the first one I started having bad ab cramps/vomitting/excess trips to the bathroom. I lost 6-7 pounds in the week I took it. My symptoms stopped 1-2days after stopping Paxil. I guess anti-depressents are not for me.

I have a friend that started Paxil about 5 months ago and she told me that she had diarhea for a whole month. She was in walmart and went in her pants because she could not hold it. I know that is gross, but it's true and she's 25 years old, so she was very embarassed to say the least. I think some of these medication do cause diarhea, nausea, insomnia, and sometimes vomitting. You just have to find the right one for you.

I think it was Lori who could not take any of these medications and they put her on something else. I don't remember what, but she is doing good now. If you read this Lori, maybe you can share your story

Chantel

Old 02-20-2004, 10:39 PM   #12
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worrywort
    Chantel, Thank you for the info on lexapro, Prozac gave me insomnia for a bit but it did go away. My doc is going to have me take the lexapro at night, Do you think that is best? I took Prozac in the morning. I really hope this works for me.Thanks again Carly

Hi Worrywort,

Yes, I think it's best taking the Lexapro at night because it can cause nausea. You shouldn't notice it while your sleeping. I would say that if you cannot sleep after a week taking it, then maybe talk to your doctor about it. It does go away though. I think I sleep too much now, lol.

Chantel

Old 02-21-2004, 09:24 PM   #13
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks chantel. I do feel a little sick to my tummy today and blah. Last night was the first night to take it, I went to sleep but woke up a lot(like usual) I think I was a little nervous with taking a new med.............it was hard enough to take the prozac when I did. I hope it works for me like it does for you. Take care Carly
    p.s. I hope it does help me sleep because I could use it.

Closed Thread