It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• how many of you have muscle twitches?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
    montos
    (male)

montos HB User
    how many of you have muscle twitches?

I've been getting muscle twitches for the last two months and my Dr says it's anxiety related. They do get worse when I'm anxious but I didn't know they were a common symptom. I get them in my calves and feet usually (though my left deltoid is driving me nuts right now)

I know a lot of other serious health problems can be related to twitching so if anyone else gets this (espesially non-eyelid) please tell me and make me feel a whole lot better.

thanks,

p.s. I'm not on any meds so it's not that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2004, 05:51 AM   #2
    OhioGolfer
    (male)

OhioGolfer HB User
    Re: how many of you have muscle twitches?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by montos
    I've been getting muscle twitches for the last two months and my Dr says it's anxiety related. They do get worse when I'm anxious but I didn't know they were a common symptom. I get them in my calves and feet usually (though my left deltoid is driving me nuts right now)

I know a lot of other serious health problems can be related to twitching so if anyone else gets this (espesially non-eyelid) please tell me and make me feel a whole lot better.

thanks,

Twitching is very common with anxiety and panic disorder. I have it quite frequently. Don't overly stress yourself with internet research on all of the dreadful things that can cause muscle twitching. You can just add to your anxiety.

That being said, there are some very common maladies that seem to go hand in hand with anxiety/panic and the twitching. Two of these are Fibromyalgia and Sleep Apnea. I have been diagnosed with Fibro, and have an evaluation Friday for Sleep Apnea. Check out the fibro and sleep disorders boards here to see if anything rings a bell. My docs now seem to think that there is an excellent chance I have sleep apnea, and that if I get that treated, my fibro symptoms and anxiety will be dramatically reduced, if not eliminated.

HTH

Jeff

Old 03-03-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
    carrielynn
    Veteran
    (female)

carrielynn HB User

Quote:

thanks,

I had this last year... but all over my body, not just my calves. I also had problems getting a good breath. I worried (actually freaked out is a better description) that I had some devastating muscle disease or something. But it was just the anxiety that was increasing my muscle tension. What's going on is you are unconsiously tensing up constantly and you don't realize it. You've normalized the tension.

I saw a biofeedback therapist who hooked my muscles up with electrodes to a computer and showed me just how tense I was. She then showed me how to relax those muscles. It felt very, very strange, like I was out of control. When I'm anxious, tensing my muscles makes me feel like I have some control. Anyway, she gave me relaxation homework, which I diligently practiced and within two weeks, the twitching and tension was dramatically reduced. I kept up the relaxation exercises for months and months... and 9 months after the first biofeedback session I can breath deeply and the tension and twitching is gone. (I have a couple of minor twtiches from time-to-time, but nothing like before. And I'm confident that too will go away as I continue the relaxation.) It takes about 3-4 months of consistent exercise to "reset" your body's tension level.

It's amazing to me that doctors don't know this, or they don't tell you this stuff.

CarrieLynn

Old 03-03-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
    Tony1

Tony1 HB User

I have been having leg muscle twitching now that my panic attacks and anxiety have flared up. Wasn't too worried about it but I am glad this is a common symptom.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:54 PM   #5
    shawn20k

shawn20k HB User

hey leg twitches arent so bad, when I get nervous looking at people I make facial twitches and ofcourse that is noticable and is almost always misinterpreted, but I havent found anything yet to work with panic anxiety twitches. Staying away from caffeine altogether is how I eliminated full fledged panic attacks, but Im not sure how to stop nervous twiches, faces or leg twiches or anything, hopefully we can figure it out, good luck, twitches are hard to figure out.

Old 03-04-2004, 03:29 AM   #6
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

I get them every nite when I'm falling asleep. Not the kind that most people get, you know when you're just about asleep & you "jump", these are really hard jolts. I get about 3 of them when trying to go to sleep. I actually shake the bed they are such hard twitches. This is just since I've been on new meds, about 2 months now.

Old 03-04-2004, 11:28 AM   #7
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:

thanks,

But have you had any drugs in the past? Muscle twitches can be a withdrawal/recovery symptom from past drugs and can take months/years to clear up.

Aside from that, it could be something neurological, so I would go to a neurologist first before assuming it's stress. If you get a clean bill, maybe it is stress, or dietary, such as caffeine consumption can cause twitches in some people. Get a complete physical to rule out physical causes....

Old 03-04-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
    montos
    (male)

montos HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    But have you had any drugs in the past? Muscle twitches can be a withdrawal/recovery symptom from past drugs and can take months/years to clear up.

Aside from that, it could be something neurological, so I would go to a neurologist first before assuming it's stress. If you get a clean bill, maybe it is stress, or dietary, such as caffeine consumption can cause twitches in some people. Get a complete physical to rule out physical causes....

I have not been on any drugs for years and the twitches started around X-mas. (a time I was very stressed out at for various reasons). Because I live in canada I can't just go to a neurologist, I have to be referred to one by my doctor and I believe the waiting list is around 6 months. At any rate I'm learning this is fairly common with anxiety so I'm not too worried about it in the absense of other symptoms. (Actually I have a million other symptoms that seem to come and go depending on how anxious I am but I'm dealing with that)

Old 03-04-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    I have not been on any drugs for years and the twitches started around X-mas. (a time I was very stressed out at for various reasons). Because I live in canada I can't just go to a neurologist, I have to be referred to one by my doctor and I believe the waiting list is around 6 months. At any rate I'm learning this is fairly common with anxiety so I'm not too worried about it in the absense of other symptoms. (Actually I have a million other symptoms that seem to come and go depending on how anxious I am but I'm dealing with that)

Well, good luck figuring it out. I'm sure if it is from stress, it will get better when the stress triggers are gone.

Closed Thread