It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Panic or anxiety attacks, whats the diffence?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2004, 10:39 PM   #1
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
    Question Panic or anxiety attacks, whats the diffence?

I've heard the terms of panic/anxiety attacks mentioned and would like to know what the difference is if any. I've ended up in ER with panic attacks, but walk around almost on a daily basis with symptoms of palps, trying to catch my breath, feel like I'm suffocating, breathing rapidly, freaking when I have to go somewhere or commit myself to doing something in the house. Chores and normal activities I used to breeze through now stress me out and make me anxious even before I start. The symptoms of these attacks cause me even more worry and stress and I can't seem to find any peace or an end to this problem. I know I'm under a lot of stress from personal problems and I know I should be resting more and taking care of ME by first changing the way I handle this and yet I don't feel motivated enough to start. I've tried several different types of meds for this and won't take them because the side effects hit me like a bull dozer. (I'm chemically sensitive) Could this be panic or is it anxiety attacks. Can anxiety attacks cause the same symptoms as panic attacks?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
    Re: Panic or anxiety attacks, whats the diffence?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dorri
    I've heard the terms of panic/anxiety attacks mentioned and would like to know what the difference is if any. I've ended up in ER with panic attacks, but walk around almost on a daily basis with symptoms of palps, trying to catch my breath, feel like I'm suffocating, breathing rapidly, freaking when I have to go somewhere or commit myself to doing something in the house. Chores and normal activities I used to breeze through now stress me out and make me anxious even before I start. The symptoms of these attacks cause me even more worry and stress and I can't seem to find any peace or an end to this problem. I know I'm under a lot of stress from personal problems and I know I should be resting more and taking care of ME by first changing the way I handle this and yet I don't feel motivated enough to start. I've tried several different types of meds for this and won't take them because the side effects hit me like a bull dozer. (I'm chemically sensitive) Could this be panic or is it anxiety attacks. Can anxiety attacks cause the same symptoms as panic attacks?
    The terms anxiety and panic attacks are used interchangeably. If you have to take meds for awhile then do it, but I would also suggest that you look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). I was on meds for many years before I found CBT and it cured me and got me off meds in a remarkably short period of time. CBT is not like other talk therapy, it's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. The more dedicated you are to the tools the faster and deeper the recovery regardless of how bad their anxiety was when they got started. It does take a lot of work and is not a magic cure though. If you are having a hard time getting motivated I would highly recommend joining a CBT group specializing in Panic. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Old 03-06-2004, 11:41 AM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

panic attack is a medical term, people are often insulted if told their problem is panic attacks, so anxiety attack is sometimes used as it sounds more polite.

Old 03-07-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hry33
    panic attack is a medical term, people are often insulted if told their problem is panic attacks, so anxiety attack is sometimes used as it sounds more polite.
    I had not heard this explanation before; thanks for sharing hry

Billy

Old 03-09-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
    MSH

MSH HB User

My understanding is that panic attacks are the ones that hit you all of a sudden and last for minutes, but anxiety attacks are long lasting, such as an entire day, or more.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:38 PM   #6
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSH
    My understanding is that panic attacks are the ones that hit you all of a sudden and last for minutes, but anxiety attacks are long lasting, such as an entire day, or more.
    Yes that makes sense, but I walk around the house sighing all day because I feel like I can't take a full breath in, that initself makes me panic and then leads to hyper-ventilation etc.. Could these symptoms also be an anxiety symptom?

Last edited by dorri; 03-09-2004 at 03:41 PM.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dorri
    Yes that makes sense, but I walk around the house sighing all day because I feel like I can't take a full breath in, that initself makes me panic and then leads to hyper-ventilation etc.. Could these symptoms also be an anxiety symptom?
    Yes, without question and very common in anxiety. I had this problem for years before I learned the tools in CBT.

Q

Old 03-09-2004, 09:58 PM   #8
    dorri
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you for the replies. Even knowing that this can also be symptoms of anxiety, I still feel the symptoms but feel a whole lot better knowing that others share my symptoms and that I'm not going off the wall. :

Closed Thread