It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Do not be afraid to live with taking meds its better than pd

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2004, 07:31 PM   #1
    atmont1977

atmont1977 HB User
    Do not be afraid to live with taking meds its better than pd

The main point im trying to get across here is that medication is safe, as long as you follow your doctors directions on how to take them. For all new comers to pancic disorder, DO NOT BE AFRAID OF MEDICATION. Do not feel ashamed in taking medication. Sickman noted on one of his posts that panic disorder is a disease. I totally agree. If you have diabetes you need your insulin, if you have high blood pressure you need your coumadin. None of these medications cure, but they do prevent unwanted symtoms of high sugar levels or high blood pressure.

If you stop your medication your Panic disorder might very well come back. If you stop your cbt, your panic disorder might also very well come back. I am not saying that cbt does not work and that medication is the only way you can feel better. I personally have tried very hard to be relieved from the horrible symtoms of panic without medication through self help books and and cbt techniques with a therapist. Medication worked best for me and provided the most relief from panic and anxiety. Medication gave me my life back and i am not ASHAMED AT ALL in taking meds. I dont know what the long term effects will be from taking medication but i also dont know what the long term effects of constant panic and anxiety will be either.

I do not believe panic disorder is necessarily a problem in the way you think. I believe it may very well be biological. My sister has it, i have cousins who have it and i have uncles who have it. I would also like to note that some of these relatives have been taking medication for a very long time and are doing just swell. It is not true that medication is only effective for short term relief. How do i know? I have seen it and heard first hand reports of it.

Once again im not encouraging everyone with panic disorder to take meds but definately do not be ashamed or feel as if though you are weak. I have spoke out on some of my frustrations with meds on this board but overall i must say that i dont know where i would be today without them. Medications also help very well with depression which is typically comorbid with panic disorder.

Abdominal breathing and relaxation techniques may work wonders for some of you but for many it just does not cut it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
    Re: Do not be afraid to live with taking meds its better than pd

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Carly

Old 03-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Couldn't agree more!!!

Old 03-05-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Agree too, I get so frustrated when I see posts from people who just can't wait to get off their meds! I lived in depression & panic for most of my life, not knowing what it was. I feel a lot of my life was wasted to these diseases. I am so thankful to have meds so I can enjoy life finally!! I know I'll be on them the rest of my life, so what!

Old 03-06-2004, 08:07 AM   #5
    Martica

Martica HB User

I agree. No one should be ashamed for using meds, nor made more afraid than many of us already are.

Cindy

Old 03-06-2004, 11:35 AM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

good advice from atmont, some are too stubborn or proud to take meds or do CBT

Old 03-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #7
    housemum
    (female)

housemum HB User

I needed to hear that....thanks. Annie

Old 03-07-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
    ItWontGiveUp
    (male)

ItWontGiveUp HB User

There should be no stigma attached to taking meds. In that aspect I agree. However, I don't think taking meds like paxil or lexapro is the same as people taking insulin. They are not comparable in my opinion. People who don't take insulin will die, people who don't take paxil, or zoloft, or whatever won't die. We KNOW what insulin does in the our bodies...we DON'T KNOW what paxil and lexapro and all those other psych. drugs do exactly. Why do some of them help some people and hurt others with similar symptoms? Why do some solve multiple problems(ie depression, anxiety, OCD)? We DON'T KNOW. They aren't the cure, at best they suppress or numb you from your mental ailment.

I, for one, have had some pretty horrible experiences with paxil and lexapro. The only drug that ever helped me was Clonazepam(klonipin) and you aren't supposed to take it for a long time. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from taking or trying meds, but at least go in knowing that whatever you are trying may not be the magic potion you've been waiting for.

Last edited by ItWontGiveUp; 07-19-2005 at 01:00 AM.

Old 03-07-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
    atmont1977

atmont1977 HB User

In a perfect world these medications would be a cure all, or work like magic potion but its not. I definately agree that psych meds do not cure but they may help with the horrible symtoms of panic disorder. If someone has diabetes and is in need of insulin and does not get it he/she will die. But i have read that people who have panic disorder and do not get treatment are at a high risk of suicide.The risk of suicide is higher than any other mental disorder that is left untreated. Panic disorder if left untreated will not kill you fast but it may kill you very slowly. Our bodies are not meant to be under such stress all of the time year after year. Note that i am not trying to scare people. Im talking about years of constant anxiety and stress that is left untreated. Most people on this board are probably getting some kind of treatment.

Just because someone is in need of insulin so that they can survive does not mean that people with panic disorder do not need their medication. I for one do not wanna die but on the other hand i do not wanna live with panic disorder that is left untreated. You can imagine what kind of life that would be.

But anyway my point is still that those of you who are scared or ashamed of getting medication for panic disorder, dont be. Many of us who are on this board are using medications and doing so much better and are leading much more of a productive life than if we were left untreated.

As i stated in my post, I agree, i dont know what the long term effects of using medication will be but what about the long term effects of panic disorder and its effect on not only our minds but our bodies and our way of living and leading some sort of productive life and feeling self-fulfilled.

So for those of you trying cbt and it is not working, do not be scared of medication and dont feel as if though you are a weak individual or even too proud to use meds. You can even try both forms of therapy at once. As far as benzodiazepines like klonopin go, this medication can be used long term as long as its working why stop? You are not an addict if you take klonopin or xanax long term. You are treating an illness. Pdocs know how to wean you off these meds if you decide you wanna get off of them. I never heard of klonopin being the cause of someones hair loss and im sorry that happened. It must be rare. But people should not live in fear of taking meds, panic disorder is scary enough.

good luck everyone

Last edited by atmont1977; 03-07-2004 at 08:15 PM.

Old 03-07-2004, 10:53 PM   #10
    Madj
    (female)

Madj HB User

After all these years of taking pills I have come to the conclusion that medication does not cure you. I donít know if anyone has been cured from medication, but I definitely havenít. I am giving therapy another go and I really hope I will get better. Maybe I wonít who knows?? At least I can say Iíve tried it and it didnít work rather than wondering what if?

Good luck to all of you.

Madj

Closed Thread