It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• worried about heart rate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
    Ladybandit08
    (female)

Ladybandit08 HB User
    worried about heart rate

Hi guys,
    today has not been a very good day, its really strange, my HR used to be in the 90s, even at rest, now today it seems really low, its in the upper 60s lower 70s, maybe im just not used to that. I am a chronic pulse checker, but the last couple days i realized i hadnt checked it! Now today it's all I have done. and i cant seem to make my heart rate go higher! It used to be i was so worried about it being high, now im worrying about it being low! It's been about 16 days since i started Zoloft, maybe its just starting to work or something. ITs like i cant even scare myself into a panic attack!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 06:56 PM   #2
    Ladybandit08
    (female)

Ladybandit08 HB User
    Re: worried about heart rate

and to ad to my wonderful day i just fell down the steps! Landed on my tail bone, and am in a lot of pain...also in a panic attack thinking i am going to die from it .

Old 03-08-2004, 10:46 PM   #3
    Madj
    (female)

Madj HB User

I am really sorry to hear what has happened to you. I hope you get better soon!! My advice is to stop checking your pulse. I have an obsession with my blood pressure...since they found it very high a few times. Now I just stopped checking it and trying to ignore it. I know it's hard..believe me, but ignoring it is the best thing you can do.

Hope you feel better.

Madj

Old 03-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

many anxious people monitor their hearts and blood pressure, which always causes problems, the heart generally works best when ignored, the zoloft may well be calming you, but it doesnt directly effect the heart beat rate

sorry about the fall

Old 03-09-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
    zzzzlady

zzzzlady HB User

LadyBandit,
    That's GREAT news about your heartrate being lower!!!! I know you're worried, but trust me......coming from someone that has a tachycardia (fast heartbeat) problem, you are fortunate to have found something that works. I have had to start taking a beta blocker, and I would prefer not to do that forever. I plan to try it for 6 mos or so to see what happens. I would much prefer to find another way to handle this. My doc tells me that a lower heartrate is a much healthier state to be in than a fast one. Over time, all the fast beating wears your heart out.

I have an appt with my physiatrist tomorrow and i'm gonna ask for a new plan. I dont want to take xanax everyday for the rest of my life...nor the beta-blocker. I want to learn CBT to help me cope with my overwhelming anxiety and panic attacks. I know it'll take a while for me to get there, and in the meantime i'll stay on the meds until i'm strong enough to wean off.

That's my plan ! GOOD LUCK to you.....OH!....sorry about the fall. You won't die from it. :-)

Old 03-09-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
    Ladybandit08
    (female)

Ladybandit08 HB User

Thank you guys so much for all the advice, it does make me feel so much better reading it. My heart rate is indeed still slower than usual, i guess i am just used to it being in the upper 90's lower 100's all the time, I have tried really hard not to take my pulse as much...yesterday i was taking it about every 10 minutes, maybe more~!
    I guess if it wasnt going to be a pulse there i would sure as heck know it ! It just seems so strange that i cant make it go any higher, and of course the worrying has caused my chest to hurt and the just BLAH feeling.

zzzzlady, I hope your phyciatrist appt goes well tomorrow! I eventually want to learn CBT too, and one day not take any zoloft, thank you so much for reassuring me that everythign was ok, let me know how your appt went..keep in touch! take care everyone!

Closed Thread