It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Just started having panic attacks, looking for help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2004, 07:38 PM   #1
    Pharaoh7

Pharaoh7 HB User
    Just started having panic attacks, looking for help

I have considered myself a pretty worry-free guy my entire life, I'm 19. I was at a college basketball game last monday and all of a sudden I felt like I was having a heart attack. I was utterly convinced I was going to die. Luckily my g/f was with and she dragged me out of there and stayed with me. Oddly enough she used to suffer from panic disorder so she knew exactly what was going on. I was SO grateful of this. Anyways I have seen doctors, psychologists, the works. I have been having panic attacks every single day since last Monday. Never had them in my life now every single day if I leave my house/room I have one. I can't eat, I'm very jumpy and figity, you know the works. Right now I just got prescribed on Zoloft. I was so lucky that my g/f had this because I feel like I had a head start. I just don't understand why this is happening. One day I'm fine and now everyday I'm having panic attacks? It's horrible, its ruining my life. I guess I'm just looking for answers and maybe some tips to avoid these attacks. How come one day I'm the most stress-free person around and the next day I can't control my feelings? It just seems to come out of the blue. From what I hear this Zoloft is really helpful and for my g/f she hasn't had an attack since it started kicking in. Only problem is I have to go back to school next week (i'm on spring break right now). Does anyone have any tips to help me get through the next couple weeks til the Zoloft kicks in? I seriously can not leave my house without getting panicky. My doctor won't prescribe me anymore xanax and that seemed to help me through the real tough times. Also I drank one night and I felt awesome that night and most of the next day. I know these are just quick fixes. Just looking for any help...
    PS my doctor was clueless about this, I basically did all the research myself. And walked in their and told her what meds I needed. She was of not much help at all. Any help would be appreciated...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
    wang_gun

wang_gun HB User
    Re: Just started having panic attacks, looking for help

You are not alone on this.....
    It is my experience that once you start having panic attacks, it does something to your brain and hormone chemistry. Some people believe that it is all about your thinking, but I believe that your constant anxiety changes your body chemistry that affects you (bring panic attacks) even when you are not anxious.
    One bad thing about this chemistry thing is that it doesn't turn back normal overnight. Once your learn to control your anxieties and fear, your hormone and brain chemistry starts to return to its normal state. However, this takes time and effort. My advise to you is that you don't totally depend on your medication..... because medication alone will not do anything to your problem. If you are already on a medication, use it wisely and apply coping therapy daily. It will not make you get better overnight, but it will eventually get you off the medication and allow you to handle your anxiety and panic easily.
    I also used to suffer from panic attacks daily. I also used to be normal like you before this stupid thing changed my life completely. However, I am winning this fight. I never took a pill to comfort my anxiety. It was like living in a coffin for two months, but this made me to practice coping theraphy religiously. As a result, I am still medication and panic free. Being panic free is also making my brain and hormone chemistry to return to its normal state. I can feel them...... I am not 100% yet, but I will be soon. Thanks to coping therapy. Find out as much as you can and practice them.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:12 AM   #3
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pharaoh7
    I have considered myself a pretty worry-free guy my entire life, I'm 19. I was at a college basketball game last monday and all of a sudden I felt like I was having a heart attack. I was utterly convinced I was going to die. Luckily my g/f was with and she dragged me out of there and stayed with me. Oddly enough she used to suffer from panic disorder so she knew exactly what was going on. I was SO grateful of this. Anyways I have seen doctors, psychologists, the works. I have been having panic attacks every single day since last Monday. Never had them in my life now every single day if I leave my house/room I have one. I can't eat, I'm very jumpy and figity, you know the works. Right now I just got prescribed on Zoloft. I was so lucky that my g/f had this because I feel like I had a head start. I just don't understand why this is happening. One day I'm fine and now everyday I'm having panic attacks? It's horrible, its ruining my life. I guess I'm just looking for answers and maybe some tips to avoid these attacks. How come one day I'm the most stress-free person around and the next day I can't control my feelings? It just seems to come out of the blue. From what I hear this Zoloft is really helpful and for my g/f she hasn't had an attack since it started kicking in. Only problem is I have to go back to school next week (i'm on spring break right now). Does anyone have any tips to help me get through the next couple weeks til the Zoloft kicks in? I seriously can not leave my house without getting panicky. My doctor won't prescribe me anymore xanax and that seemed to help me through the real tough times. Also I drank one night and I felt awesome that night and most of the next day. I know these are just quick fixes. Just looking for any help...
    PS my doctor was clueless about this, I basically did all the research myself. And walked in their and told her what meds I needed. She was of not much help at all. Any help would be appreciated...

Hi hun,

I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through this at such a young age. The problem is, that most of the time, there is no answer as to where the panic started. I am still not 100% sure myself. The best thing you can do is accept it and stop worrying about where it came from and try to find a cure for it. Zoloft is a good medication for panic attacks and you are also lucky that your g/f has been through this so she will be able to help you. I know these attacks can be scary, but always remember, they cannot hurt you. I get mine at night when I'm sleeping. They wake me up so I'm already goo goo from waking up and them I have to deal with these weird feelings. The adrenaline rush and the feeling of dying is the worst. It's actually your subconcious doing all of this. It is called flight or fight. You know how you feel when someone jumps out and scares you? Well, that is kind of what your body is going through at the time. You either fight of run. Your body is making enough adrenaline for you to take up for yourself or run. Why don't you do some research on panic attacks. It will make you feel alot better once you read all of the symptoms and what you can do when you have one.

Good Luck Hun,
    Chantel

Old 03-17-2004, 02:04 AM   #4
    girl3900
    (female)

girl3900 HB User

Hello. At one point in time, I had something very similar to you. I know what triggered mine. I've never dealt with stress very well and one day while I was working, it became too much and I had a very bad panic attack right there in front of everyone. I convinced myself I was going to faint and that I was having a heart attack even though I'm only 20 and something like that is almost impossible. Anyway, I felt I had to quit that job because I couldn't dare have another attack at work and embarrass myself again so i quit. All this really got to me because I felt myself being very afraid to even leave my house. I was never like that before so I doomed myself into thinking I'd be housebound for the rest of my life. I had it extremely bad to the point where i couldn't even walk around my neighboorhood or drive or go in ANY store so I just want to give you some reassurance that you won't be stuck in your house forever. That all happened last month and now I can drive and go in any store without getting panicky at all. How I got over that was by reading just about every self help book on anxiety you could think of. It helps SO much in a time when you think you're the only one going through those sorts of things. I thought i was going crazy but these books reassured me a lot. Instead of telling yourself how scary situations are, it helps to use what they call "positive self talk". Admittedly so, when I first heard that I thought it was a load of B.S and I didn't want to try it but I was desperate for anything so I did. It worked. There's a lot more than just this positive self talk but i find that what i say to myself is what usually starts the panic attack and the downward spiral. My favorite coping statements I use are "It's just panic, nothing will happen to me" or "I can do this even if it is a little uncomfortable".

I think one of the most important things is to accept that you can't keep avoiding things that are making you panic. If you are having troubles leaving your house, each day make a commitment to yourself to leave a little more until you can do something you fear. Once you start getting very uncomfortable, retreat and go a little further the next day. All the while telling yourself how great you did even if it was a small step. You just have to trust that you'll get better. I know how hard it is but if I can do it, I believe you can too. Having the support of someone can help a lot. Maybe you could ask your girlfriend to help you coach through some stuff? I'm lucky to have had someone that could talk me out of things.

Old 03-17-2004, 11:12 AM   #5
    Pharaoh7

Pharaoh7 HB User

Hey guys, thanks alot for the input. I have been doing the best I can to get out there and do stuff. I went out to breakfast today, but had a panic attack and had to leave. I understand that I can't rely totally on meds. I mean I HAVE to get back to school next week. And zoloft takes a few weeks to see any kind of results from what i hear. I need to learn to deal with this. I keep hearing all these things like try CBT, try aroma therapy, try breathing excersises, try this try that. I guess I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction. Maybe a website (preferably) or a book (that i could find in a bookstore) that people have found useful. Its to the point where I know my symptoms aren't going to kill me, but that doesnt stop the constant anxiety (twitching, irregular breathing, etc,etc). I am here ready and willing to try anything right about now. I can't see my therapist til I get back to school next wednesday and I need something to sort of bridge the gap for me (psychologically). I always feel better when I leave the doctors office, leave the psychologists office, so I know its something mental I can deal with. Ex) I always have anxiety attacks on the way to the doctors and feel like a million bucks when i leave. Another problem with me is the more I research it the more problems I have. If i hear that people have panic attacks in cars, I'll have one in a car. If i heard that poeple wake up and have panic attacks in the middle of the night I'll wake up and have one, its so mental. Funny story is that I had an exam the day of my first panic attack. And the entire tests material was on panic disorders... wish i never took that class!

A couple other things)
    1-I have been too anxious to eat lately, and I feel like that has been adding to my symptoms and anxiety. Anyone have any suggestions to combat this?
    2- Does anyone elses left arm go numb when they have their attacks? I know this is a symptom of a heart attack. But I'm 19... I feel like its way more likely that it's mental. Can I mentally be causing it to feel numb? I had an EKG during an anxiety attack and everything was cleared.

Thanks for any help. It's really nice to hear from people with the same problems who are dealing with this.

Greg

Last edited by Pharaoh7; 03-17-2004 at 11:22 AM.

Old 03-17-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi Pharaoh,

zoloft often reduces or stops panic attacks but, as you say, takes a while to become effective, what dose are you taking?
    many books on overcoming panic disorder and agoraphobia are available, try ****** or a library

IMO you need some more xanax, or any other benzo or valium type med, to calm you for now, also when the zoloft is working, you may still need occasional xanax, etc Try other docs, older docs are generally less anti xanax.ask for some other benzo as xanax has a very bad reputation for being addictive, the other brands work just as well, IMO

It helps to always carry a few valium type tablets with you and disolve 1 under the tongue when you start to have a panic attack

when you do panic, accept it and dont tense up or fight back, breathe deep and slow and wait for it to pass. Its a good excuse to tell people you have a migrane

Old 03-17-2004, 12:51 PM   #7
    girl3900
    (female)

girl3900 HB User

You sound exactly like me. Just last night I was having some pain in my left arm and if I didn't have an EKG earlier, I probobly would have started to panic. Just note that it's highly, highly unlikely for a 19 yr old to have a heart attack. Especially if your tests came back fine. You'd have to have a history of heart problems to have a heart attack that young.

The book I'm reading now and the book that has been my life saver through this is called "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook--3rd Edition" by Edmund J. Bourne. I got it from a friend (who i never even knew suffered from panic attacks. A lot more people have it than you think) so I'm not sure where she got it. I know they have it on bn.com. It's a very good book. It has step by step directions and all that good stuff.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
    Pharaoh7

Pharaoh7 HB User

Right now I am on 25mg of Zoloft for the first week and then 50 mg after that. I'm not a huge guy. Do you think sounds about right?

girl3900- sounds like we have alot in common with this. It's funny you mention that book cause thats the exact book I picked up from the bookstore today. Acutally I didn't get it my friend did (I don't like to stray to far from the house). Good to hear someone else has that numbness in the arm thing. That really freaks me out. I found it helpful to try to mentally think about my right arm and then I realize if I think about that long enough my right arm feels numb too. Just helps to realize its all mental...
    Yeah and its true about how common it is, I feel like everyone i tell that i'm having an attack tells me how they used to have problems. I had an attack at b-fast this morning and my waitress was all understanding cause she had them before. My g/f has had them before, mom, a few friends. So far I'm the only guy I've known to have them that i've known, but I heard it's less common for guys anyway.

I can handle these attacks when I'm at home. I have to go back to school on Sunday (300 miles away). I'm just a little worried how I'm going to handle that after only being on Zoloft for 6 days. I have three xanax (0.25 mg) pills i'm saving one for a horrible attack, and two for the greuling ride to school. I hate being in cars, especially when i'm not driving.

Only slept 5 hours last night after sleeping 12 a night since I started having this condition, could this be an affect of the Zoloft? Does anybody know?

Sorry If i'm all over the place, i feel all over the place right now

Old 03-17-2004, 09:40 PM   #9
    girl3900
    (female)

girl3900 HB User

They only put you on 25mg? My doctor started me off on 50 mg of Zoloft. Maybe i'm fatter than you, lol. 25mg doesn't seem like much though. I was on Zoloft and Lexapro but had to quit both because Zoloft gave me horrible tremors and I lost about 10 lbs on it. Lexapro turned me into a psycho. When I was on that I didn't sleep/eat for 3 days. I can't say for sure if it was the drugs though because still (after not being on any meds) I have a very hard time calming my nerves enough to sleep. Good luck with the book...it's helped me a lot.

Last edited by girl3900; 03-17-2004 at 09:40 PM.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:14 PM   #10
    Ladybandit08
    (female)

Ladybandit08 HB User

Hi,
    I do the same exact things as you, and I just started Zoloft, i am also on 25mgs,for a little over 3 weeks now .. i am really afraid to up the dose any.i was even taking less than the 25 mgs at first... I had really bad upset stomach at first, and now it seems as tho my mood has improved but have had two major panic attacks the last couple of days. But they seem different in nature than the usual ones, i havent had many chest pains since starting, tho i am still checking my pulse many many many times a day. iT has been lower than it ever used to be. I just wanted to say i too get numbness in my arms, and my toes..so i guess panic attacks or anxiety about having another one can cause that. I want to get a good book on panic too and start reading, i will get the one you guys suggested. I dont want to be on meds forever, but i will do what i have to do to actually try and feel more normal. Good luck to you! I hope you feel better soon! Take Care

Old 03-20-2004, 08:37 AM   #11
    Katyana
    Veteran
    (female)

Katyana HB User

I know how you feel. A few years ago I hurt my back at work and had to be off work for several months (8 I think). I was pushed back to work even though I was still in ALOT of pain, and my job is very hard on my back and involves alot of walking and lifting. To top it off, my boy friend cheated on me and then left me to be with her. It was all too much for me. I started to shut down and didn't realize it. I cried all the time from pain, and heart ache. Soon I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything. I started to avoid situations that had too much environmental stimulus going on as it made me feel overwhelmed and confused. I just couldn't take it all in.

I started to notice panic attacks when I was playing an online computer game. I thought the attacks were limited to this game and being in the game in areas that had too much going on on the computer screen at one time. They would sometimes creep up on me, or hit me like a speeding train. If I felt that feeling of "panic": increased heart rate, tremors, shortness of breath, the need to cry.... I had to get away from that area at all costs... NOW!!! If I didn't, I ended up crying and shaking and in a full blown asthma attack, and it took me several hours sometimes to calm down. I thought I was nuts, as did some people I played this game with. And many thought they could "cure me", which only made things worse for me. The constant badgering, and the need to justify my feelings became tiresome and made me feel even worse and more insane because they could do things that I couldn't and I felt totally inadequate.

Believe it or not, but I played that game with those feelings for a few years... talk about a sucker for punishment.... or so desperately bored and lonely that I just stuck it out to be "around people".

I quit the game a few months ago; I just had enough of feeling stressed out. I figured that would be the end of that. I was still having back pain, and I was still stressed out from the pain and from work and from some other health concerns that I had. But I figured that my panic attacks were limited to inside this computer game. I was wrong. I noticed that they also manifested themselves in other areas of my life. I just couldn't cope with much going on around me at one time; and I cried at the drop of a hat. I knew I was "mildly" depressed. But was ashamed to admit it to anyone. Finally I made the leap and saw my family doctor and talked to him about all of this. He put me on Celexa. I was told that it would take several weeks for it to start working, but I found that within a couple weeks I started to feel more 'alive', and certainly much calmer. I feel "normal" again.

If you are going to a doctor that has no clue about anti-depressants, then go see another doctor. It's not up to you to research medications and tell her what you need. I haven't seen a psychatrist, but that was my next step if I couldn't get help from my family doctor. However, if your family doctor isn't familiar with these things, perhaps you should see about getting into seeing a psychatrist and getting on some medications, and talking about the issues that are troubling you. I've been in counselling through a crisis management service at work. I was in crisis and was heading toward a breakdown. Talking and medication has certainly helped me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pharaoh7

Old 04-07-2004, 08:27 AM   #12
    MCASSEDY

MCASSEDY HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Just started having panic attacks, looking for help

Hello. I Am 19 Too. I Have A Major Problem With Panic Attacks. I've Been Dealing With Them On And Off For 2 Years Then The First Week Of March I Started Getting Them Every Single Morning, I Was Hospitalized For 1/2 A Day And I Still Deal W/them Every Morning. Doctors Can Do Very Little For You Sweety. I Was Purscsribed Zoloft And It Made My Panic Attacks 10000etc. Times Worse! But If It Is Working For You Continue Taking It. The Only Thing That I Can Do To Get Them To Go Away Is To Take A Xanax And An Anti-nausea Pill And Go For A Looong Drive. And Let Me Tell You, My Attacks Can Last Up To 5 Or 6 Hours. I've Been Doing Plenty Of Research On This And I Found A Rare Method That Surprisingly Works:

As Soon As You Feel Symptoms Of Panic You Need To Close Your Eyes, Take A Deep Breath And Allow Yourself To Give In To The Attack Completely. (i Know It Sounds Crazy But I Read About This And Tried It And It Worked.) An Anxiety Attack Is Only As Bad As You Make It. If You Totally Give Yourself Into Having "the Worst Attack Of Your Life" The Feeling Will Automatically Go Away. You Cant Just Tell Yourself That Tho, You Need To Believe That You Are Ready To Experience It, Like You Want To Experience It And It Will Completely Go Away. It Is A Reverse Psychology Tactic. The Only Thing That Fuels Panic Attacks Is Fear When There Is No Fear There Is No Anxiety, You're No Longer Afraid Bec. You've Already Experienced These Attacks At Their Worst. & You're Scared Its Going To Get Worse And Come Back, Among Other Minute Things That Would Normally Be Of No Concern; Etc. Tell Yourself You Want It. And The Feeling Will Vanish. Try It And Tell Me If It Works For You.

Old 06-15-2004, 01:35 AM   #13
    SweetSori
    (female)

SweetSori HB User

hi, i just want to tell you that i am younger than you, 18, and i've started suffering panic attacks two weeks ago and last week i got them everyday and now i get them less because when i feel that its going to kick in i start to drink water and wet my head a little and it seems to stop the panic attack from becoming full blown....the thing is, even though i find it really hard also to go in cars because my first two attacks happened in a car, i stil GO in the car because eventually i will get in the car one day and i wont have any attacks, and I REFUSE to go on any drugs, its a mental thing and I CAN HELP IT i can fight this without being druged, its a matter of concetration and self-belief. GOOD LUCK

Old 06-15-2004, 06:49 AM   #14
    scottskitty

scottskitty HB User

well, i'd find a new dr. i used to suffer from anxiety really bad, panic attacks every day. it got so i couldn't leave the house either. but it got to the point where i made myself. i'm 20 years old, my fiancee and i shouldn't be stuck in the house all the time. were young. so i just took deep breaths, kept telling myself i was ok. my fiancee is great. every time i started to freak out he'd give me reassurance. for the really tough times i carried a little notebook and wrote down what i was feeling, and that i'd be fine and get over it. the notebook trick does wonders.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:36 PM   #15
    CINDERELLA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CINDERELLA HB User

Hi, I have had back pain for 8 years and have worried about it and tried to find the reason as no doctor can tell me. I guess it has been a obsession for me to cure myself. At christmas something snapped and I started getting heart palpitations, frights, chest pain arm pain etc, I didnt know what was going on. For a while I was scared to go out for fear of an attack. Now that I know more about the symptoms I have chilled a bit. Now I feel tense most of the time and have a sore stomach and a pain in my head which has been there for months, tension I think. You MUST have a reason for this to start, subconsciously maybe? Right now I find I have to fight my worrying mind which is really hard work. Good luck

Last edited by CINDERELLA; 06-16-2004 at 09:37 PM.

Closed Thread