HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Panic Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/panic-disorders/)
-   -   Wow, what a difference a book makes. (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/panic-disorders/158306-wow-what-difference-book-makes.html)

Pharaoh7 03-18-2004 09:51 PM

Wow, what a difference a book makes.

I was having panic attacks day in day out since I had my first one a couple weeks ago. I picked up the book "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook--3rd Edition" by Edmund J. Bourne yesterday. I read through about half way, did some of the excersises and holy crap... no panic attacks at all today!! I really doubt this is the zoloft kicking in ( i'm on my 4th pill).
I can't believe how mental it is. Just reading about what a real heart attack actually feels like, knowing that my symptoms are exactly like what someone going through a panic attack feels like not a heart attack. Just learning about how to just ignore the signs and you'll be fine. I would get the crazy feeling or the fluttery heart today, and I'd just ignore it. Then I wouldn't get a panic attack. I know this is just one day, but after the last two weeks I can't believe the improvement.
Also what else helped me was finding out you can't be angry and anxious at the same time. So when anxious situations came up instead of getting anxious over it I just got ****** off at what it was. Or just thought of something I was ****** off about. I was in the doctors today and I was waiting forever to be seen. Instead of getting stressed about it I just got ****** and I had no anxious feelings. You guys should really try that!

I hadn't been able to leave my house in almost 4 days. I went and picked up a friend tonight and went to wendy's and grocery store to visit friends that were working. :D

So just a suggestion for people to check this book out. Worked wonders on me in just one day. Although I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow saying how crappy I feel :o

pixiedust71 03-19-2004 06:12 AM

Re: Wow, what a difference a book makes.

i hope it stays working for you, i'm going to get the book and try it myself. thanks for the info.

hry33 03-19-2004 08:31 AM

most books on overcoming anxeity and panic attacks have lots of useful advice, you do need to actually read them and be prepared to take their advice and try what they recommend, some arent sadly

its been my experience that some docs are better organised than others, some always keep everyone waiting, but some see everyone on time, and give patients enough time without rushing them

wang_gun 03-19-2004 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=Pharaoh7]I was having panic attacks day in day out since I had my first one a couple weeks ago. I picked up the book "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook--3rd Edition" by Edmund J. Bourne yesterday. I read through about half way, did some of the excersises and holy crap... no panic attacks at all today!! I really doubt this is the zoloft kicking in ( i'm on my 4th pill).
I can't believe how mental it is. Just reading about what a real heart attack actually feels like, knowing that my symptoms are exactly like what someone going through a panic attack feels like not a heart attack. Just learning about how to just ignore the signs and you'll be fine. I would get the crazy feeling or the fluttery heart today, and I'd just ignore it. Then I wouldn't get a panic attack. I know this is just one day, but after the last two weeks I can't believe the improvement.
Also what else helped me was finding out you can't be angry and anxious at the same time. So when anxious situations came up instead of getting anxious over it I just got ****** off at what it was. Or just thought of something I was ****** off about. I was in the doctors today and I was waiting forever to be seen. Instead of getting stressed about it I just got ****** and I had no anxious feelings. You guys should really try that!

I hadn't been able to leave my house in almost 4 days. I went and picked up a friend tonight and went to wendy's and grocery store to visit friends that were working. :D

So just a suggestion for people to check this book out. Worked wonders on me in just one day. Although I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow saying how crappy I feel :o[/QUOTE]

I am so GLAD that you have begun to realize this. This is why so many popular psychologists and doctors are encouraging you to start practicing these alternative therapy. Although stress alters your body chemistry and causes dizzyness, fainting, heart palpitation..etc, everything starts with your MIND. What happens is that when you read those kind of workbooks, not only that it relaxes your mind, it gets rid of your anxieties. When your mind becomes anxiety free, you will start to feel good and gain confidence that you can beat this thing without any medication. It is this CONFIDENCE that will CALM your mind and cure this disease.
The reason why we need to practice these coping therapy religiously is because you can't be anxiety free all your life. They are bound to come back. You have to apply those techniques so that it does not turn into a full panic attack. Once you know how to control yourself and mind, you will worry less about your NEXT PANIC ATTACK and give you a big confidence. That's when your body starts to STABILIZE itself and starts healing.

I am pretty sure that you will feel like having another panic attack later, but don't get discouraged. There is no overnight cure. It takes time and practice. Even when you are feeling okay, practice those techniques mentioned in the book. It is better to practice them when you are feeling great, not when you are having a panic attack.

Pharaoh7 03-19-2004 03:08 PM

Just an update- went to bed last night much easier then usual. No panic attacks today. I don't know what happened in my brain but all of a sudden I went from constantly paying attention to the beating of my heart to having to remind myself I even had a problem a couple of days ago. I plan on going out again tonight.

I think the muscle relaxation and breathing techniques in the book really helped. And what I think really helped was once and for all reading a clear description on what people with panic attacks do versus what people who actually have heart problems do. I'm considering stopping the zoloft now, but will talk to my doctor about it next week when I get back to school. I honestly can not believe the turn around since i read that book.

I have also improved my diet, and excersised a couple of times. Everything helps...

Elana 03-22-2004 06:12 PM

That's great Pharaoh :) I have heard of that book but never read it. I believe it is rooted in cbt but please correct me if I am wrong? CBT is what cured my panic. The two books we used in my group are really really good and I would recommend them both highly: Been there, done that? do this! By Sam Obitz and Mastery of your Anxiety and Panic-Third Edition by Michelle Craske and David Barlow which focusses on panic disorder. I have not had a single attack since the group :) Books are great if you use them like hyr33 said.