It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Lexapro and panic

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2004, 06:18 AM   #1
    tgrose
    (female)

tgrose HB User
    Lexapro and panic

HI all. I just signed up here and I'm ever so glad I did! I have a question for those of you who've tried Lexapro. My doctor switched me last week from Buspar to Lexapro, because 30 mg of buspar just wasn't keeping the panic away. The first day I took a full 10 mg, I had hot flashes and felt like my skin was on fire, but only on my back and neck. So, she had me take 5 mg for a few days and start taking the full ten (divided up) after that. Taking the med in two doses really helped; I don't feel any side effects, except that this morning while lying in bed, it happened again. I felt like I was getting hot and then the hot flash happened so I got up and looked up side effects of Lexapro. (hot flashes aren't on there) Now I can't tell if it's just another type of panic or if it's a side effect of the medicine. I've only been on it for a week now, and I feel great during the day, but I'm wondering if hot flashes go along with the med or if it's another panic attack.
    Also, I'm wondering if anyone has low blood sugar problems with their panic. If I don't eat regularly and then try to do some kind of physical activity, like cleaning out in the barn, I get very weak and dizzy and have to eat something. My dad has this problem too, and food always helps, but it gives me a panic attack. ANyone else had this?

I hope I won't become a nuisance on this board because I feel like I've had all these questions all these years and finally have a place to disucss with others who have panic attacks and all the "crap" that goes along with it.

Sincerely,
    Panic off and on for 8 years

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 08:02 AM   #2
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User
    Re: Lexapro and panic

I completely understand the side effects you are having from the Lexapro. They aren't side effects that are listed anywhere and it is hard to find people that have had similar experiences, but I had the exact same thing. The way I described it though was it felt like someone had rubbed icy-hot on my arms, legs and chest. It was terrible. I only took the Lexapro for 3 days because I couldn't tolerate the feeling, it made my panic shoot WAY up. Where I take .25 xanax as needed (maybe 2-3 times a week), I took 1 - 1.5 mg each day I was on Lexapro b/c I was so scared of the burning feelings. I do feel if I had stuck it out it would eventually have subsided, but I just couldn't handle it. The burning would come on slowly and build to where it felt like my body was exploding. Maybe yours aren't this intense, but I just couldn't deal. My doctor switched me to Zoloft and I've had pretty good results with it. Good luck with whatever you do or try. If you are able to tolerate the Lexapro side effects and stick it out for 2-4 weeks, you will most likely feel better, but if it really becomes too much, you can talk to your doctor about switching to another med.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:16 AM   #3
    kbell

kbell HB User

do not have a lot of experience with lexapro and wonder what the standard is for when it will start to take affect and what people have experienced in terms of side effects? I know every person is different.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
    tgrose
    (female)

tgrose HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brandekristene
    I completely understand the side effects you are having from the Lexapro. They aren't side effects that are listed anywhere and it is hard to find people that have had similar experiences, but I had the exact same thing. The way I described it though was it felt like someone had rubbed icy-hot on my arms, legs and chest. It was terrible. I only took the Lexapro for 3 days because I couldn't tolerate the feeling, it made my panic shoot WAY up. Where I take .25 xanax as needed (maybe 2-3 times a week), I took 1 - 1.5 mg each day I was on Lexapro b/c I was so scared of the burning feelings. I do feel if I had stuck it out it would eventually have subsided, but I just couldn't handle it. The burning would come on slowly and build to where it felt like my body was exploding. Maybe yours aren't this intense, but I just couldn't deal. My doctor switched me to Zoloft and I've had pretty good results with it. Good luck with whatever you do or try. If you are able to tolerate the Lexapro side effects and stick it out for 2-4 weeks, you will most likely feel better, but if it really becomes too much, you can talk to your doctor about switching to another med.
    Thanks so much for your reply. It really helps to know that someone else had this side effect. I think it is somehow related to panic too. It's only happened a couple of times and I think I'm going to try and stick it out. But they way you describe it is exactly how it happens; only it doesn't get so bad that I can't handle it. Usually, if I walk around or move around it goes away. I have an appt. next week and am going to discuss it with my doctor.

t

Old 03-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #5
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Hi, I have been on lexapro 10mg for about a month and I felt warm(hot flash) too. When I clean or do excercise I get hot! I sweat a bit more to. It has gotten better though, Give the med some time and talk with your doc. Hope everything goes well!!
    Carly

Old 03-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
    kbell

kbell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worrywort
    Hi, I have been on lexapro 10mg for about a month and I felt warm(hot flash) too. When I clean or do excercise I get hot! I sweat a bit more to. It has gotten better though, Give the med some time and talk with your doc. Hope everything goes well!!
    Carly
    Thank you. I hope everything goes well too. This is the 4th SSRI I've tried so far!

Old 03-23-2004, 11:21 PM   #7
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tgrose
    HI all. I just signed up here and I'm ever so glad I did! I have a question for those of you who've tried Lexapro. My doctor switched me last week from Buspar to Lexapro, because 30 mg of buspar just wasn't keeping the panic away. The first day I took a full 10 mg, I had hot flashes and felt like my skin was on fire, but only on my back and neck. So, she had me take 5 mg for a few days and start taking the full ten (divided up) after that. Taking the med in two doses really helped; I don't feel any side effects, except that this morning while lying in bed, it happened again. I felt like I was getting hot and then the hot flash happened so I got up and looked up side effects of Lexapro. (hot flashes aren't on there) Now I can't tell if it's just another type of panic or if it's a side effect of the medicine. I've only been on it for a week now, and I feel great during the day, but I'm wondering if hot flashes go along with the med or if it's another panic attack.
    Also, I'm wondering if anyone has low blood sugar problems with their panic. If I don't eat regularly and then try to do some kind of physical activity, like cleaning out in the barn, I get very weak and dizzy and have to eat something. My dad has this problem too, and food always helps, but it gives me a panic attack. ANyone else had this?

I hope I won't become a nuisance on this board because I feel like I've had all these questions all these years and finally have a place to disucss with others who have panic attacks and all the "crap" that goes along with it.

Sincerely,
    Panic off and on for 8 years
    Hi Tgrose

I have been on Lexapro 10mg for 6 months now. It is a great drug. I too had problems taking the 10mg to start. My doctor put me on 5mg for almost a month. I tried twice to up it and always had bad side effects until finally I tried for the last time, and it worked. I think your body just has to get used of the side effects. I had severe panic attacks and I could not even get out of my house. My husband had to take off of work because I couldn't be alone. I thought I was gonna die. It was really terrible. But now, with the Lexapro, I feel like myself again. I can go out of the house and I can now stay by myself again. Thank God for that......I have 2 kids, LOL.

I don't know about "the feeling weak" you are experiencing. Are you taking anything else besides the Lexapro? I know the Lexapro can sometimes make you nauseated and dizzy, but I didn't feel weak. Let me know.

Chantel

Old 03-24-2004, 09:20 AM   #8
    tgrose
    (female)

tgrose HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worrywort
    Carly
    This is my second week. I think it is going to work out ok. I'm a little concerned that I've had a couple of borderline panic attacks, but I've handled them well. I'm also working with this low blood sugar thing and have to be careful to eat enough. The Lexapro curbs my appetite a little.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:33 PM   #9
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tgrose
    This is my second week. I think it is going to work out ok. I'm a little concerned that I've had a couple of borderline panic attacks, but I've handled them well. I'm also working with this low blood sugar thing and have to be careful to eat enough. The Lexapro curbs my appetite a little.

I sure wish it would curb my appetite. If I wouldn't have braces, I would be as big as a house right now, lol. I also have low blood sugar, so I know how you feel about eating right. I have low blood sugar before I started taking the Lexapro though. I found out about 3 years ago with a 4 hour glucouse test. Anyway, hope you are feeling better and if you need to talk, I am here.

Chantel

Old 03-25-2004, 05:48 AM   #10
    tgrose
    (female)

tgrose HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chantel2003
    I sure wish it would curb my appetite. If I wouldn't have braces, I would be as big as a house right now, lol. I also have low blood sugar, so I know how you feel about eating right. I have low blood sugar before I started taking the Lexapro though. I found out about 3 years ago with a 4 hour glucouse test. Anyway, hope you are feeling better and if you need to talk, I am here.

Chantel
    THanks. I do think it's going to work. It hasn't even been two weeks yet and I'm already feeling better.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
    scottskitty

scottskitty HB User

i took lexapro for 2 weeks. i had this weird disconnected feeling, it felt like i was wearing the wrong glasses, really bad heartburn, lots of yucky stuff. the 1st time i took a 10mg of lexapro i went to the er with a really bad panic attack xanax wouldn't stop. it was like pure speed. i'm now on zoloft & doing much better.

Closed Thread