It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Panic Disorders Message Board

  • Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-28-2004, 08:22 PM   #1
    dizzykim00
    Member
     
    dizzykim00's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Ohio
    Posts: 81
    dizzykim00 HB User
    Question Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    Had a good weekend, thought I was going to make it through panic free. We were driving home from my son's house (about an hour and a half drive), was about halfway home, was not thinking or worrying about anything. All of a sudden the back and sides of my neck got REALLY tense, which moved up to my head. Got dizzy, lightheaded, thought for sure this was the one that I was going to die. And of course we were on the interstate, miles from any town Next came the shortness of breath, the hot flash, then the cold feeling. Then came the shakes, feeling nervous, not wanting to be in the car. It has been 3 hours and my neck still feels so tight. I have never had one start like that, and thruthfully, it scared the s*** out of me, more so than any of the others I have had. My brain was telling me "your going to die"...I knew I had to change my train of thought, and fast. Didn't mean to make this so long, I just wondered if anyone else has ever had one start like that, I cannot describe how my head felt, it was so strange.

    Kim

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-29-2004, 12:56 AM   #2
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Louisiana
    Posts: 1,274
    hanelo4 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dizzykim00
    Had a good weekend, thought I was going to make it through panic free. We were driving home from my son's house (about an hour and a half drive), was about halfway home, was not thinking or worrying about anything. All of a sudden the back and sides of my neck got REALLY tense, which moved up to my head. Got dizzy, lightheaded, thought for sure this was the one that I was going to die. And of course we were on the interstate, miles from any town Next came the shortness of breath, the hot flash, then the cold feeling. Then came the shakes, feeling nervous, not wanting to be in the car. It has been 3 hours and my neck still feels so tight. I have never had one start like that, and thruthfully, it scared the s*** out of me, more so than any of the others I have had. My brain was telling me "your going to die"...I knew I had to change my train of thought, and fast. Didn't mean to make this so long, I just wondered if anyone else has ever had one start like that, I cannot describe how my head felt, it was so strange.
    Kim
    Hi Kim

    ***Warning*** If reading about panic attacks scare you, please do not read

    My first panic attack was very strange. In fact, until now, I thought it was a bad combination of medicine that put me in the hospital. I'm still not quit sure, but not long ago, I kinda had the same thing happen to me and I'm not on that combination of meds anymore. So maybe it was a panic attack afterall? This is how mine started. I woke up at 3am sitting straight up. I looked around and everything seemed to be moving real slow. Like my brain wasn't functioning right. I would move my hand, and it seemed to move slow and I could see the "tail" of my hand moving. It was weird. I felt like I could not feel my body. I thought I had actually died and this freaked me out big time. I don't remember the stiff neck, but everyone has different things happen to them. I felt the weird cold/hot feeling across my skin and I was short of breath, nauseated and vomitting. I also had this weird pressure on my bottom. Like something was going to come out. The walls were also moving. And, I had a bad metallic taste in my mouth. The dying part is what freaks me out the most. It's said that we are having a "flight or fight" feeling. And that warm/cold feeling is supposed to be the addrenaline getting our bodies ready to fight or run. I still cannot figure out why mine happen at night. I hope this all helps you out a little and doesn't scare you. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in this.

    Chantel

     
    Old 03-29-2004, 06:00 AM   #3
    dizzykim00
    Member
     
    dizzykim00's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Ohio
    Posts: 81
    dizzykim00 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chantel2003
    Hi Kim

    ***Warning*** If reading about panic attacks scare you, please do not read

    My first panic attack was very strange. In fact, until now, I thought it was a bad combination of medicine that put me in the hospital. I'm still not quit sure, but not long ago, I kinda had the same thing happen to me and I'm not on that combination of meds anymore. So maybe it was a panic attack afterall? This is how mine started. I woke up at 3am sitting straight up. I looked around and everything seemed to be moving real slow. Like my brain wasn't functioning right. I would move my hand, and it seemed to move slow and I could see the "tail" of my hand moving. It was weird. I felt like I could not feel my body. I thought I had actually died and this freaked me out big time. I don't remember the stiff neck, but everyone has different things happen to them. I felt the weird cold/hot feeling across my skin and I was short of breath, nauseated and vomitting. I also had this weird pressure on my bottom. Like something was going to come out. The walls were also moving. And, I had a bad metallic taste in my mouth. The dying part is what freaks me out the most. It's said that we are having a "flight or fight" feeling. And that warm/cold feeling is supposed to be the addrenaline getting our bodies ready to fight or run. I still cannot figure out why mine happen at night. I hope this all helps you out a little and doesn't scare you. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in this.

    Chantel

    Hi Chantel

    Your post did not scare me This was not my first panic attack, have had MANY! This was just the first one that started like this. I guess what scares me the most is that they come on so fast, and are so unexpected. I could understand if I had been stressed out all weekend, but I wasn't.

    The way you describe yours sounds really horrible. I've never had one that I felt that way, I just can't imagine what you went through. Its really bad when you have them at night cause then you don't want to go back to sleep. I haven't had one like that in a while. Mine happened late enough last night that I was afraid to sleep. Its certainly no fun to feel that way. My neck still feels stiff this morning, so of course I'll be worrying all day

    Thanks a bunch for responding, I guess I just wanted to know I'm not the only one who has had one like that. Take care.

    Kim

     
    Old 03-29-2004, 07:14 AM   #4
    alefever26
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Posts: 106
    alefever26 HB User
    Post Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    Kim, I have had panic attacks a long time. and when my attacks changed over a year ago, that is what i was experiencing. I felt like my neck was really tense and i cant describe it except i thought maybe i was about to have a seizure. that was my new fear. all because of that stupid feeling. so then i went into the full blown spacy feeling, dizzy, lightheaded, hot and cold flashes, and seriously almost fainted. thought for sure i had a seizure. now i'm on meds and i dont get that feeling hardly ever. i still do sometimes though, not as bad. anyway, thats the scariest, just when you get use to how your panic feels, it changes, then you dont knokw if it's panic or something else.

    Amanda

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 03:13 AM   #5
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Louisiana
    Posts: 1,274
    hanelo4 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    Hi again Kim,

    I'm wondering if your panic attack caused your neck to be stiff? Did you maybe strain while having the attack? That is what it sounds like to me. I also wanted to say that my attacks comes from no where. I can be sitting down watching TV, then all of a sudden I am having an attack. It's really weird the way it happens and from what I hear, it's because it comes from your subconcious. You could of thought about something a week ago, and it is still in your subconcious.....even though at the present time, you are not thinking of it. I know sometimes I have these things I call "zaps". I will be sitting down watching TV, then all of a sudden a picture zaps in my mind. Most of the time it is something I'm scared of or something that has scared me in the past. It's very weird and unpredictable. I cannot wait to get in to see the psych and see what she thinks, lol.

    Chantel

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 05:39 AM   #6
    dizzykim00
    Member
     
    dizzykim00's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Ohio
    Posts: 81
    dizzykim00 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chantel2003
    Hi again Kim,

    I'm wondering if your panic attack caused your neck to be stiff? Did you maybe strain while having the attack? That is what it sounds like to me. I also wanted to say that my attacks comes from no where. I can be sitting down watching TV, then all of a sudden I am having an attack. It's really weird the way it happens and from what I hear, it's because it comes from your subconcious. You could of thought about something a week ago, and it is still in your subconcious.....even though at the present time, you are not thinking of it. I know sometimes I have these things I call "zaps". I will be sitting down watching TV, then all of a sudden a picture zaps in my mind. Most of the time it is something I'm scared of or something that has scared me in the past. It's very weird and unpredictable. I cannot wait to get in to see the psych and see what she thinks, lol.

    Chantel

    I'm thinking the attack did cause my muscles to be stiff yesterday. They still are today, but not as bad. I'm glad to know there is someone else out there that has them for no apparent reason. (not that I'm happy anyone else has these!) One day last week I was sitting here, by myself, watching TV and BAM! I wasn't thinking of anything (that I remember) I wasn't stressed, it just came out of nowhere. Everyone always asks me what was I thinking about right before it happened....most of the time, nothing. They just don't understand that, and most of the time I don't either! lol The joys of having a panic disorder....NOT!!

    Kim

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 10:37 AM   #7
    abbygirl2
    Veteran
     
    abbygirl2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 466
    abbygirl2 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    My last panic attack was pretty much the same although I didn't have the stiff neck. The feeling like you are right on the brink of fainting and your hot/cold etc is the most awful feeling. My body reacted so fiercly during my last attack that I compared it to having a seizure(although I have never had one). I had one in our vehicle one time(it was horrible). I almost had one last night(was right on the edge) but somehow controlled it from getting full-blown-however it was as I was laying in bed-which meant I was up half the night worrying about it. Hope you are all feeling better today(and panic free)...

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 12:23 PM   #8
    tgrose
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    tgrose's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Louisville, Ky area
    Posts: 171
    tgrose HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    I love what you said about "just when you get used to how your panic feels, then it changes on you!" If it stayed the same I think I could live without the meds. But when it changes, like you said, then I get scared that something new is wrong with me like, "I'm having a seizure" "I'm having a heart attack" "i"m going to drop dead" and I have to go through the same thing of "I'm ok. I'm not going to die." I hate panic!

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 12:37 PM   #9
    dizzykim00
    Member
     
    dizzykim00's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Ohio
    Posts: 81
    dizzykim00 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abbygirl2
    My last panic attack was pretty much the same although I didn't have the stiff neck. The feeling like you are right on the brink of fainting and your hot/cold etc is the most awful feeling. My body reacted so fiercly during my last attack that I compared it to having a seizure(although I have never had one). I had one in our vehicle one time(it was horrible). I almost had one last night(was right on the edge) but somehow controlled it from getting full-blown-however it was as I was laying in bed-which meant I was up half the night worrying about it. Hope you are all feeling better today(and panic free)...

    Having one in the car is the worst! Especially when your on the interstate The first thought that went through my head was "there are no hospitals anywhere near here!" (no lie!) Normally when I have one I need to get up and move around, and I couldn't this time. It was horrible. And to have one that was so different than all the others, wow! It was just like that very first one all over again. I just talked myself out of one a little while ago...my head started feeling funny, then I felt what I call the hot flash starting, and told myself "nope, not going to let it happen". The feeling subsided, thank goodness. I hope you got some sleep last night and are feeling better today.

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 12:46 PM   #10
    dizzykim00
    Member
     
    dizzykim00's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Ohio
    Posts: 81
    dizzykim00 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tgrose
    I love what you said about "just when you get used to how your panic feels, then it changes on you!" If it stayed the same I think I could live without the meds. But when it changes, like you said, then I get scared that something new is wrong with me like, "I'm having a seizure" "I'm having a heart attack" "i"m going to drop dead" and I have to go through the same thing of "I'm ok. I'm not going to die." I hate panic!
    I'm right there with you, I hate it too! I've only been dealing with these for about 5 months and never knew they could change. They had always been the same for me, then this one hit. And your right, it brings more questions and bad thoughts in to your head. And scared, that doesn't even describe it!
    I couldn't even tell myself "your ok", beacuse until that weird feeling in my head went away, and the shortness of breath started, I wasn't even sure it was a panic attack

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 12:55 PM   #11
    anniecakes
    Junior Member
     
    anniecakes's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 15
    anniecakes HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    Just wanted to say that my last attack was so fierce it felt like a seizure might feel. I think I did something to my jaw during the attack and it hurt really badly for 3 days afterwards. I was so scared I went to accident and emergency as I could not believe it was the attack. This was unlike any other attack I had had in the last few years.

     
    Old 03-31-2004, 01:05 AM   #12
    abbygirl2
    Veteran
     
    abbygirl2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 466
    abbygirl2 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    EXACTLY...I had PA years ago and they were typical. I have been having them again the last few months and they feel so different. I never had the fainty feeling years ago. When I had that PA in our vehicle-I thought the same thing-no hosptial nearby, no wonder people become afraid of travelling too far. It is so refreshing to hear others' accounts of these beastly attacks.
    My last BAD attack-I told DH to call the ambulance-but he wouldn't-it was a good thing I wasn't on the brink of death(like I thought I was). He did however sit with me until it passed...that was entirely the WORST PA I have ever had-and I hope I never experience that again.

     
    Old 03-31-2004, 06:07 AM   #13
    dizzykim00
    Member
     
    dizzykim00's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Ohio
    Posts: 81
    dizzykim00 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abbygirl2
    EXACTLY...I had PA years ago and they were typical. I have been having them again the last few months and they feel so different. I never had the fainty feeling years ago. When I had that PA in our vehicle-I thought the same thing-no hosptial nearby, no wonder people become afraid of travelling too far. It is so refreshing to hear others' accounts of these beastly attacks.
    My last BAD attack-I told DH to call the ambulance-but he wouldn't-it was a good thing I wasn't on the brink of death(like I thought I was). He did however sit with me until it passed...that was entirely the WORST PA I have ever had-and I hope I never experience that again.
    I have always loved getting in the car and taking long rides, but now that that has happened, I know things will change. Everytime I get in a car that thought will be in my head Seems like each time one happens, it takes a little peice of your freedom with it.

    How does your DH react to your PA's? Mine seems to be clueless at times..lol. Usually after I have one I get real jittery and need to move around and I couldn't do that in the car. So, I kept wringing my hands, shaking my legs...and he kept asking why I was doing that. I told him "this is normal for me". I guess I expect him to understand, and get mad when he doesn't. Any one else get over sensitive over little piddly things??

     
    Old 03-31-2004, 06:47 AM   #14
    abbygirl2
    Veteran
     
    abbygirl2's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 466
    abbygirl2 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    DH is pretty clueless, the last bad attack he was good, but I think it was cause I was so scared. Usually I just go off by myself. I do however do weird things like during a PA-I tend to rub my feet together or like you said wring my hands...sometimes I tap my feet. I just have this urge to keep moving. My last bad PA was when my sister was here, so ever since I have been nervous about having company...kind of like the driving out of my comfort zone. It really does steal a bit more of your freedom each time.
    I have had a couple days PA free(knock on wood), so I am keeping my hopes up. Hope your doing good too.

     
    Old 03-31-2004, 07:18 AM   #15
    dizzykim00
    Member
     
    dizzykim00's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Ohio
    Posts: 81
    dizzykim00 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had this happen during a pnic attack?

    The urge to keep moving....that describes me to a tee! I also rock back and forth, whether I am standing or sitting. I'm the opposite when it comes to being alone, I need to hear someone else's voice, makes me feel safe I guess.

    I have not had another one since Sunday (knocking on wood also ) Let's hope it stays that way for the both of us.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Vibrating Head with MAV or Inner ear symptoms?? Anyone??? Boslee2008 Brain Tumors 38 01-08-2010 08:40 PM
    Dizzy_Dave or anyone diagnosed with Visual Vertigo + MAV? Tesss Dizziness / Vertigo 15 09-01-2008 09:02 PM
    Can this be anxiety or health related Looly Anxiety 4 09-17-2006 09:34 AM
    Has anyone hypervenalated during p/a? MSH Panic Disorders 12 06-10-2005 06:01 PM
    anyone have PSVT? Sheilia01 Heart Disorders 10 11-15-2004 09:59 AM
    5th disease....anyone know anything about it? hayley0610 Infectious Diseases 2 06-25-2004 07:28 AM
    Anyone have tingling numbness and burning in face and neck during a panic attack? Tony1 Panic Disorders 6 03-03-2004 10:20 PM
    anyone use a service dog for PTSD? Angel77 Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) 29 02-02-2004 10:40 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!