It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• The flying subject again..........

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User
    The flying subject again..........

Hi everyone,

Hope your weekend is going great. I wanted to touch on this subject because I will be flying in a couple of weeks for vacation and can already feel the tension building up. I have not flown for almost nine years and when I did then I was an anxious mess.........but I did it and made it through it.........

This time I am flying with my family, so the kids will be there and I refuse to tell them I am afraid to fly, because they have expressed some concerns about it. It will be their first time flying and I have smiled and said "It will be fun" and on the inside I am thinking "I have to maintain my composure so not to scare them".

Plus we are going to another country, which also scares me, it is all a control thing I think, that is what anxiety is generally about, wanting to feel in control........so flying on an airplane (unless I was the person flying it or even knew the person flying it) and also going in to another country both make me feel less control...........

Any suggestions? Maybe a ton of Xanax?:-)

Thanks,

Kaytee:-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
    girl3900
    (female)

girl3900 HB User
    Re: The flying subject again..........

I was in the same predicament last week. I was very nervous about it even weeks before. If I didn't have my Ativans I don't know what I would have done. I would have still gotten on the plane but it would have been 4 hours of pure hell. When I got on the plane I did fine..at first I wanted to bolt out of there and scream but turned the air on full blast and enjoyed the scenery. This is where Xanax definetly comes in handy. Be sure to chew gum, lol. I didn't when we were taking off and i got really dizzy and got a little anxious because of that. I'm sure you'll do fine. I did.

Old 04-04-2004, 07:10 AM   #3
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Kay T,

I'm going to "bump up" the thread that I started on this. The responses that I got were really helpful to me. You might want to go through and read them all. See if you can identify the specific aspects about flying that scare you or the "errors in your thinking" and post them here. I'd bet the nice people here will be able to give you some more food for thought.

Several people did recommend Xanax. Personally, I was relieved to find out that I can still sneak alcohol onboard (made my husband carry a water bottle when he flew alone last week to be sure it passed - it did! LOL).

There are fear of flying and fear of flying help websites that offer some good information...

Old 04-04-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

lots of xanax or any other valium type med before and during the flight will help a lot, alcahol makes these meds work more strongly

after a high dose of these meds, dont drive or operate machinery on the day

Closed Thread