It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Depersonalization/Derealization

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2004, 05:41 PM   #1
    ixion
    (male)

ixion HB User
    Depersonalization/Derealization

Does anyone else have feelings of depersonalization or derealization? I feel very spacey sometimes... Kinda like I'm disconnected from reality, or everything I see or hear just doesn't seem right and scares me. It is part of the panic disorder I know, but if anyone has this or any useful drugs, techniqes, exercises, etc... that would be great. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2004, 06:48 AM   #2
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User
    Re: Depersonalization/Derealization

I started having panic attacks last July and the derealization that came with it was the worst. Honestly, it actually triggered most of my attacks because it would come on so strongly. Honestly, I'm not sure which came first the panic or the fog. It has been quiet some time since I've had the feelings of depersonalization, but when I did, it lasted for weeks at a time and then would go for a week or two only to return. I remember looking at my hands and thinking "these are not my hands" and everyone around me seemed so strange. I was very sensitive to flourescent lighting and it seemed to make it all worse. It was hard to go to Wal-Mart or the grocery store. All I knew was that no matter what, I had to continue living life the way I always had done or else the anxiety was going to beat me. Honestly, xanax helped with the depersonalization or it at least helped me not panic from it. I only took it as needed and never took more than .25 mg, but I remember going weeks where I needed it everyday to get through work. It was always worse at work -- unbearable almost. I started taking Zoloft (very small dose 25mg) back in January and honestly it has helped tremendously. My doc wants to up it, but I see no need. It has been a long time since I've had the feelings of derealization and I know it is of little comfort when you feel that way every day, but it really will pass. Just don't let yourself stop doing t hings you enjoy because of it. Ask your doctor about a low dose of xanax to h elp, but be careful not to abuse it. Honestly only take it when you need it. Carry one with you at all times so you can live your life and you have it as a backup if it gets to be too much.

anyhow, sorry I rambled, but good luck to you.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
    panickyjess
    (female)

panickyjess HB User

i hate the feelings of derealization...i would always describe it feeling like i was in a bubble looking down on people and just watching things that were going on...it would seem as though i wasnt even there...that feeling always scared me...i take serzone and celexa and it seems to help...but now when i get that spacey feeling, i kind of just try to roll with it...tell myself that it is "cool" feeling this way (lol) so then i wont get too scared of feeling that way

jess

Old 05-03-2004, 09:59 PM   #4
    ixion
    (male)

ixion HB User

Hmmm.. interesting, thanks for the info. Yeah I am on prozac and it has helped alot. I still get the spaciness but it's less frequent and i dont' get as scared as I used to. My phychologist is also starting Some therapy with me. I have been feeling much better lately, hope all is well for you too.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:27 PM   #5
    john555

john555 HB User

hmmm, I had a feeling that I am suffering from this disorder, and its slowly sounding like I do when I read other peoples responses about Depersonalization/Derealization.

when you guys/girls are under this disorder, does everything taste and smell different and strange?, it does with me,

also, it seems that mine hits about once a month, pretty mutch every 30 to 40 days(it never fails), and I have that feeling mostly on the day they hit, the day after I feel just as strange but not as bad, and it slowly goes away, takes about 5-6 days to fully recover back to normal again.

let me know your experiances people I need to solve this problem,

Old 05-05-2004, 04:26 AM   #6
    shellybell

shellybell HB User

I have Depersonalization/Derealization - It is the strangest feeling! I was at my friends house last night and was spacey the whole time I was there. I would be sitting there listening to her talk and for a few seconds I got spacey and then it would go away! I start my counseling in 2 days so I hope they have some techniques for me to make this go away!

Shelly

Closed Thread