It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Physical Pain from stress & PA

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2004, 01:18 AM   #1
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    Physical Pain from stress & PA

I am totally a mess!!! I cannot find an AD to work since my old one quit working. I'm on only Klonopin right now. All my physical ailments have resurfaced. Stress sure can do a lot of damage over the years to our bodies. My advice, seek help as soon as you feel there is something wrong, I went too many years without knowing what was wrong & did not seek help, lived with stress, depression & now PA til I had ulcers, TMJ & other ailments all caused by stress. My tmj is all flared up again, my back is out & in pain & I am living on pain pills again.
    Just know that stress, depression & pa can affect your physical health as well as your mental health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 02:55 AM   #2
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User
    Re: Physical Pain from stress & PA

Gawd Lori,

I'm sorry you are still suffering. I wish you could find something that works! Geezus, it's been long enough. What is your doc doing for you now? Have you tired to switch? I feel your pain hun, I really do. I remember just those few months I went through this felt like a lifetime for me. I cannot imagine going as long as you have. I wish there was some way I could help

I wrote to you on the TMJ board. I have it too! What a surprise what stress does huh! I know about the aches and oains too. I used to be able to clean my whole house without stopping. Now, if I can just finish my room, I'm doing good. Sad huh? I always feel achy all over too and I'm not that old. What will it be like when I get older? I just don't want to know.

I'm sorry I couldn't help much, but just wanted you to know.......I hear ya!

Chantel

Old 04-22-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
    ~Kris~
    (female)

~Kris~ HB User

Hey Lori,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so bad. Is your doctor going to try you on something else, or are you even up for trying another AD right now?

When the doctor first told me stress and anxiety were the causes of my physical problems, I thought he was crazy! But it is true. Like you said, stress can do a lot of damage. I had no idea!!

I hope you feel better soon!

Kristi

Old 04-22-2004, 05:14 PM   #4
    shellybell

shellybell HB User

Hey everyone~I can soooo relate to the physical symptoms. I started having my panic attacks and anxiety in 2003. I have tried 5 different meds and none have worked for me. I am only taking lorazepam now and just beginning therapy. I pray that this works for me! From all of my stress, I am still tired and feel depressed at times. I still feel the little of numbness in my head and catch my self staring of into space at times, like I did when I first starting having PA. Isn't that crazy? I have been trying my hardest to retrain myself with better self talk, which has helped out a lot. My muscles use to ache all of the time, like I just worked out, but that has gotten better, thank goodness! I hope everyone is doing better!

Old 04-22-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

Wow, I can relate to all of you too. lori, I have tmj also and my dentist said it is probably due to extreme stress. I went for so long without doing anything about it just like you and you are so right it takes a huge toll on the body. Sometimes I feel like I don't look like I even used too or that I am even the same person, does that make sense? I am in the midst of a tmj flare up myself and wanted to let you know you are not alone and I hope things get better! I tried so many AD's, and finally my therapist pulled an old one out of his bag........Trazadone. That was it for me. I have taken the same dosage of that and Xanax now for 6 years with no problems. The only thing I have ever had with the Trazadone is you have to be ready for bed when you take it cause you are going to be out cold inside of 30 minutes! I always warn my husband when I am getting ready to swallow it, he knows he has 30 minutes! ahahah
    Karen

Old 04-22-2004, 11:16 PM   #6
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Thanks all, I am still in pain from the TMJ today & I'm icing my back as I sit here. It's something to hear how many have tmj due to stress, but I'm not surprised at all.
    I wish I had known years ago that there were meds to help the stress so I didn't let my body be so affected. I am not sure if I can take vioxx(sp:?) with klonopin, I was about to take one & then thought, whoa, better wait & call the pharmacist in the morning. I have been getting the "brain zaps" lately too, it's almost like my body wants MORE klonopin around 6 pm at nite. I am only taking ONE at bedtime, I am not going to start that mess of taking more & more. I surely don't need that on top of everything else.
    I don't see my pdoc til wednesday. I called after a week on the last "new" med & he never called back. I didnt' bother calling again, I am pretty much just fed up with trying new meds & going thru all that again & over & over.

Trazadone, huh? Hmm, will have to look that one up. The pharmacist said that nortrityline is the closest to what I was on that worked (amitriptyline) so I will ask my pdoc about both of them. Angel, did you have any side effects from traz.?

Thanks all for letting me know that I'm not alone, when you're in pain, you tend to think you are the ONLY one even though I know differently.

All I'm taking right now is arthritis strength tylenol for the pain, it helps, but I think I need to be taking an anti-inflamatory for the tmj right now.

Can't even lay on the right side due to the tmj pain. UGH.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:20 AM   #7
    westin4
    Inactive

westin4 HB User

lori,

I had tried pretty much the entire list of ssri's when first dianosed, I am one who will have all the side effects of meds, plus ones that aren't listed! I never had any side effect from Trazadone, it is not an ssri. But it will knock you on your feet so I have to take it at night. I take 50 mgs at bedtime and have done so for about 6 years, never needing more. My therapist gave it to me for 2 reasons, I couldn't tolerate any of the long list of meds I had tried and I couldn't sleep at night, if I did fall asleep I would wake up in a short period of time and that would be it for the night. I have also been on the same dose of Xanax for that long. I take .50 in the morning, .25 in the afternoon if I need it and .50 with the Trazadone before bed. I do have some breakthrough anxiety, but I was almost housebound with it years ago, so I am satisfied where I am today.

Now the Tmj is another issue. It is so bad right now that I have lost 10 pounds just from not being able to eat other than noodles, applesauce or soup. My new dentist I have gotten in with put me on a reg of Norco/Skelaxin. I take ibuprofen in between for inflammation. It has helped me tremendously! Can you get some kind of meds for your tmj? You cannot just go on in pain and agony that raises your stress level, then your high stress makes the tmj worse and the worse that gets, the worse you anxiety becomes..........AAAAAACCKKKK sound familiar??? I was having the problem where I really couldn't sleep at all because my tmj was so bad there was no way for me to lay down. I cannot remember if you are in a splint or not? Even the temporary one I am in now did relieve that problem and I am sleeping better than I have in a year.

Good luck, and I hope you find some things that will work for you!
    Karen

Old 04-26-2004, 07:12 PM   #8
    upshutter17
    Veteran
    (female)

upshutter17 HB User

Well, I can relate to physical symptoms. First of all, I'm a nervous wreck...hahaha, sucks. Also, I am having too many bowel problems. Panic has screwed up my intestines, not kidding. I'm having massive digestive/bowel problems. Don't feel bad, you're not alone. Good luck in all you do.
    Upshutter

Old 04-26-2004, 11:13 PM   #9
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by angel47630
    lori,

I had tried pretty much the entire list of ssri's when first dianosed, I am one who will have all the side effects of meds, plus ones that aren't listed! I never had any side effect from Trazadone, it is not an ssri. But it will knock you on your feet so I have to take it at night. I take 50 mgs at bedtime and have done so for about 6 years, never needing more. My therapist gave it to me for 2 reasons, I couldn't tolerate any of the long list of meds I had tried and I couldn't sleep at night, if I did fall asleep I would wake up in a short period of time and that would be it for the night. I have also been on the same dose of Xanax for that long. I take .50 in the morning, .25 in the afternoon if I need it and .50 with the Trazadone before bed. I do have some breakthrough anxiety, but I was almost housebound with it years ago, so I am satisfied where I am today.

Now the Tmj is another issue. It is so bad right now that I have lost 10 pounds just from not being able to eat other than noodles, applesauce or soup. My new dentist I have gotten in with put me on a reg of Norco/Skelaxin. I take ibuprofen in between for inflammation. It has helped me tremendously! Can you get some kind of meds for your tmj? You cannot just go on in pain and agony that raises your stress level, then your high stress makes the tmj worse and the worse that gets, the worse you anxiety becomes..........AAAAAACCKKKK sound familiar??? I was having the problem where I really couldn't sleep at all because my tmj was so bad there was no way for me to lay down. I cannot remember if you are in a splint or not? Even the temporary one I am in now did relieve that problem and I am sleeping better than I have in a year.

Good luck, and I hope you find some things that will work for you!
    Karen
    My tmj is much better today, I use the exercise the oral surgeon gave me & also force myself to catch myself when I start gritting my teeth or popping my jaw (which is a nervous tick I do when my stress is bad). I'm sure that is what caused the flare up, I caught myself doing the side to side popping & OUCH did it hurt. So, I pretty much can control my tmj with concious effort. I think the only thing not related to my stress is my herniated disc in my back.
    I have never done a splint, I was always albe to get out of the pain with those few tricks. I have read good & bad about the splint. BE careful with the ibuprofen, I used it for years for pain & it caused 2 ulcers. I can only take tylenol other than prescribed meds for my tmj, but I try to get by with tylenol. I bought the arthritis strength & it works pretty good.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:14 PM   #10
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by upshutter17
    Well, I can relate to physical symptoms. First of all, I'm a nervous wreck...hahaha, sucks. Also, I am having too many bowel problems. Panic has screwed up my intestines, not kidding. I'm having massive digestive/bowel problems. Don't feel bad, you're not alone. Good luck in all you do.
    Upshutter
    If you notice a lof of us have listed IBS, irritable bowel syndrome, that is also a big one from stress. I either am going or not going, it's another vicious circle!!

Old 04-27-2004, 01:33 AM   #11
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

I agree with Lori to watch out for the Ibuprofen. I took alketzeilzer(sp?) for a long time and never knew it would effect my stomach. Well, the doctor found an ulcer and he told me that the alketzeilzer could of been the culpret. Now, when I take anything with asprin, my stomach starts hurting real bad I tell ya, it seems there is no end to all of this huh?

Chantel

Closed Thread