It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Does anyone else keep going to Dr's looking for answers?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2004, 08:39 AM   #1
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
    Does anyone else keep going to Dr's looking for answers?

Hi,
    I'm just curious if anyone else is like this. Over the past year, I think going to Dr.'s has become an OCD for me, lol.
    In the past year I've been to my GP countless times(atleast a couple times a month), 2 Cardiologists, a Neurologist, an ENT, an Endocrinolgist, and the ER several times. I've had several tests including: MRI, MRA, Nerve conduction test, chest CT, x-rays, ekg's, 2 echo's, worn a holter monitor 3 times, stress test w/ echo, stress test w/ thalium, EEG, and lots of labs. All of my tests have turned out normal, except my eeg had "slight abnormalties". Yet, I'm still seeing the Cardiologist and Neurologist. My GP has told me over and over that he is sure all of my symptoms are due to my anxiety disorder, but (based on my symptoms) my cardio now wants to do a heart cath and my neuro wants to send me to Mayo's. One day I'm convinced my symptoms are all due to anxiety, the next I'm sure I have some life threatening disease they're not finding. This is becoming a never-ending cycle.
    Can anyone relate?
    Hilery

Last edited by hilery79; 04-29-2004 at 08:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Re: Does anyone else keep going to Dr's looking for answers?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hilery79
    Hi,
    I'm just curious if anyone else is like this. Over the past year, I think going to Dr.'s has become an OCD for me, lol.
    In the past year I've been to my GP countless times(atleast a couple times a month), 2 Cardiologists, a Neurologist, an ENT, an Endocrinolgist, and the ER several times. I've had several tests including: MRI, MRA, Nerve conduction test, chest CT, x-rays, ekg's, 2 echo's, worn a holter monitor 3 times, stress test w/ echo, stress test w/ thalium, EEG, and lots of labs. All of my tests have turned out normal, except my eeg had "slight abnormalties". Yet, I'm still seeing the Cardiologist and Neurologist. My GP has told me over and over that he is sure all of my symptoms are due to my anxiety disorder, but (based on my symptoms) my cardio now wants to do a heart cath and my neuro wants to send me to Mayo's. One day I'm convinced my symptoms are all due to anxiety, the next I'm sure I have some life threatening disease they're not finding. This is becoming a never-ending cycle.
    Can anyone relate?
    Hilery
    I can relate. Especially now that I'm perimenopause (age45). Just have all these symptoms and I will not stop until I know everything is aokay!

Old 04-30-2004, 02:08 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

excessive worry about your health causes many anxiety type problems, try to trust your GP

Old 04-30-2004, 02:26 PM   #4
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Thanks for your responses.
    I think it's time for me to move on and try CBT. I am definatly overwhelmed with worries about my health. Even if there is some other physcial condition going on, I realize that anxiety is playing a big part in my problems.
    Thanks again,
    hilery

Old 05-02-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

i have the same problem i see 3 drs now atleast 2 of them once a week because my anxiety has just totally messed me up and i just want to be normal again

Old 05-02-2004, 09:28 AM   #6
    jacqbu
    Veteran
    (female)

jacqbu HB User

I also can relate. You feel like you are running in circles with no answers. You can't help but feel like there is something physically wrong. But we also know anxiety and panic can cause a lot of these symptoms. I guess we are all in the same boat.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:38 AM   #7
    BettyBlueberry

BettyBlueberry HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hilery79
    Hi,
    Can anyone relate?
    Hilery

Old 05-07-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
    Elana

Elana HB User

hi hilery79, I think this is a wise move I had lots of anxiety about my health before it turned into full blown panic attacks and you don't want it to go that far, trust me! My cbt group last summer has given me my life back. The two books we used in my group are really really good and I would recommend them both highly: Been there, done that? do this! By Sam Obitz and Mastery of your Anxiety and Panic-Third Edition by Michelle Craske and David Barlow which focusses on panic disorder.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:19 PM   #9
    Misty I

Misty I HB User

About 2 years ago, I accidentally overdosed on OTC sleep aids. Ever since the convulsions that I had from that overdose, I have had Panic Attacks. I've been to several different Drs. and counselors. They put me on Lexapro starting out at 5 mg. daily increasing up to 20 mg. I was on 20 mg. for about 18 months. After getting sick and tired of being sick and tired from being on the Lex, I tried weaning myself off. I was successful until I reached the 5 mg. point. I am now feeling like I am in trouble. The withdrawal is horrible. I can't bare to think how much longer this might last. My head feels wierd, I'm dizzy, I can't look up, can't look down, I'm having a hard time trying to take care of my children. I am so fed up. I just want off meds altogether. If you are having any kind of anxiety, panic, etc. try to work your way through it without getting on any meds or new meds or whatever your case may be. I am through with them. I almost feel worse now than I did before Lex. If anyone out there has had a similar problem with withdrawal please let me know. My Drs. said they never heard of withdrawal from Panic. I feel like I'm almost ready to sue someone. You should be told this before they go throwing prescriptions at you like you are some kind of animal that they really don't give two shits about what happens to you and what you might go through. I'm just very curious to see if anyone else is having the same problem. Please answer. Thank you.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:29 PM   #10
    Misty I

Misty I HB User

Hi Hilary,

Our situations sound totally alike. I've been through all the tests too and they have come back normal. Thank goodness! It's amazing what your nervous system can do to your body. After suffering from such severe panic attacks, I had myself convinced that I was dying. I thought I had a brain tumor or something deadly. After fighting this hard for 2 years, I'm finally to the point to where I am accepting the fact that I have a problem with anxiety and panic and no medicine is going to help me. The withdrawal from Lexapro that I am going through right now is almost just as bad as having Panic attacks. I'm going to try to work this out through prayer first, because that alone has helped me keep my head above water for the last 2 years and I'm also going to look into some Yoga classes and getting in touch with myself spiritually. I need to re-teach my brain how positive thinking works. I hope everything works out for you. I sure do know how you feel. I've been there, done that. Please let me know how you are doing. Misty I.

Old 05-08-2004, 03:10 AM   #11
    shellybell

shellybell HB User

Misty,

I've been through the withdrawls from med's before. I just went through getting off of Effexor XR and let me just tell ya it totally sucks! Headaches, dizziness, nausea, confusion, sleepiness, shaking and jittery, and feeling spacy. It has been almost one week now, and things are beginning to taper off, just wish I could get rid of the dizziness, spacy feeling, and jitters. Hang in there and I'll try to as well. Let me know how things are going.

Shelly

Old 05-08-2004, 01:16 PM   #12
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

Hilery,

What are your symptoms? I know just how you feel.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:28 PM   #13
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

It's good to know there are others who can relate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dizzygirl
    Hilery,

What are your symptoms? I know just how you feel.
    Hi dizzygirl,
    I've had an endless list of symptoms over the last year. My current symptoms include: tachycardia, skipped beats, breathlessness, chest pressure, fainting spells, numbness/tingling(mainly in my face), severe lightheadedness/dizziness, headaches, constantly feel jittery, and most recently I've started to have abdominal and back pain. I've also had many other symptoms that seem to come and go.
    I'll be having a cardiac catheterization this Thurs. and a tilt table test in a couple weeks. I am terrified of having the cardiac cath done, but my cardio. says it's necessary to be able to 100% rule out any heart problems. I've promised myself that once these tests are over with(as long as they come back normal like all the others), I am going to stop going to all of these Dr.'s and start dealing with my anxiety disorder. I have spent way too much time and money trying to find something that's not there.

Best of luck to all of you who are in the same boat. There's got to be light at the end of this incredibly long tunnel!
    Hilery

Old 05-08-2004, 08:43 PM   #14
    Misty I

Misty I HB User

Shelly,

I'm glad to finally talk to someone who has been going through the same things I have been. It seems to be a little better today, but not much. I hope this doesn't last any length of time. I have read where the withdrawal symptoms can go on for months. Have you heard this? Let me know.

Misty

Last edited by Misty I; 05-08-2004 at 08:44 PM.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:55 PM   #15
    Misty I

Misty I HB User

Raz, I was in the same boat. Your anxiety can talk you into thinking you have something wrong with you physically. I was determined that I was a goner. I thought something was very seriously wrong with me and that I was going to die. I had every test imaginable run on me and everything came back normal. It all boiled down to having Panic Disorder. Try to keep thinking positive about the physical aspect. There is more than likely nothing wrong with you physically although at times it sure does feel like it. Make an appointment with a GOOD therapist and I can almost assure you that you can work through this. If you can stay off the meds that help fight panic disorder, I would. I was on Lex for 2 years and am having a helluva time getting off of it. The withdrawal is horrible. I wish you all the luck in the world. I've been through it all, if you want to talk just post me. Thanks. Good luck. Misty I

Last edited by Misty I; 05-08-2004 at 08:57 PM.

Closed Thread