It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• I really need some reassurance PLEASE!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User
    I really need some reassurance PLEASE!

Okay, I'm not sure if everyone knows my story, so I will start it all over. I am a 26 year old healthy female, who may be having 24/7 anxiety. This whole thing started about 3 months ago with dizziness, and pressure in my head and face. I went to the doctor, he thought possible sinus infection. I was on antibiotics for 6 days, when the dizziness, and anxiety like attacks became unbearable.
    I went to the emergency room, and after 9 hours, I was given an EKG, bloodwork and it was all normal. I was sent home with a xanax, and told the whole thing is anxiety, and if I did not feel better in a couple of days, to see a neurologist.
    I went to the neurologist, and was sent for an MRI of the brain, and an ENG, both normal. Iwas put on paxil, and feel maybe 50% better. My next step is to see a cardiologist because I feel like my heart is always pounding in my stomach and head so loudly. I also have an appointment with a neuro-opthamologist to see if there are possible tracking problems with my eyes.
    Here is where I need reassurance. All of these tests are coming back normal. I have a very stressful job ( I am a chef- I hate it!) and have had some boyfriend problems in the last couple of months that could be having some physical effects on me now.
    Are these symptoms anxiety related? Could I feel them constantly?

- dizziness ( not vertigo, more lightheaded)
    - heart pounding
    - eyes feeling very strange, I cant focus, or when I read, sometimes I get more dizzy
    - loss of weight, like 8-10 pounds in 3 months
    - weakness in legs at times
    - always clencing my jaw ( not knowingly)
    - pressure in my head and sometimes in my nose
    - nausea

I probably missed some, but most of these symptoms are constant. I just feel like I need answers. I am so frustrated by all of these doctors not knowing, and just giving me blood tests all the time. I had my thyroid tested by the way. Could this whole thing be major anxiety? and 24/7 without any rest, evenwhen I am home doing nothing? Any input would be really helpful. I am sorry for rambling on, I just need some advise.

Carrie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
    shellybell

shellybell HB User
    Re: I really need some reassurance PLEASE!

Carrie,

You so need a big hug! I am 26 too and am going thru some of the same things. I started having symptoms in July 2003 beginning with cloudiness in my head, dizziness, panic, anxiety and lack of concentration. I have since then tried 5 med's and none have worked - my body is too sensitive for them. I began to have heart palpitations about 6 months ago and am taking atenolol (25 mg)for them. My palpitations felt like a really hard beat, sometimes I could feel it in my lips it would beat so hard! I had to wear a holter monitor for 3 days and my irregular beats showed up. The palpitations went away, but I have noticed in the past two weeks that they are coming back, I can feel those hard beats in my head now. So, he'll probably increase my medicine.

I still get dizzy, sometimes I can feel myself swaying a tiny bit when I'm standing. I am constantly tired and my legs feel weak as well. I just had my blood work done yesterday to test my thyroid because I am so exhausted. I catch myself clenching my jaw too and never did it before I started having panic and anxiety. The nausea still comes from time to time and I have also began to have some headaches.

I wonder if we both just need some rest, I know that I don't get enough sleep. It is 10:20 pm and I should be in bed, but I'm not. I am a single mom and am constantly on the go - when my daughter is not here, I still can't relax. You would think that I could enjoy the time I have to myself and rest, but I don't.

Okay now I am rambling, I hope this helps you out some. Take care of yourself!

Shelly

Old 05-13-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to dizzygirl, it all could be from anxiety, you may need to change your job.

a beta blocker med (atenolol)will help with the pounding heart and jaw clenching

valium type meds as needed always help

take long walks, these are very relaxing

Old 05-13-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

Thanks you guys! Would you happen to know if there is a non-prescription version of a beta blocker? Maybe an herbal version? I never had any idea that I could feel this way 24/7 with anxiety, the dizziness etc. It really sucks!!!

Old 05-13-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User

Not that I know of, it a typical hypertension medicine that works by slowing down the heart rate, reason it is used for panic induced rapid heart rate.

Old 05-13-2004, 07:26 PM   #6
    anrose

anrose HB User

It really stinks, doesn't it? I'm still a little shocked that my panic attacks happen to me at all. I never thought I could be one of "those" people. Boy do I "get it" now! And was I ever totally CLUELESS! I remember sneering inside my head at my Dad who has been troubled with depression and anxiety all his life. OH BOY, do I ever have new respect for him!!!!!! And did he ever help when it hit me! No one who hasn't experienced it understands.

As far as symptoms happening 24/7, when mine first started it was close to 24/7. One attack would feed another. My adrenaline (or whatever it is) was pumping so hard and so continually, I ate as much as I could with a dry mouth (I had to bite then gulp water) but I still had trouble keeping my sugar levels above 80. I thought there was something wrong with my blood monitor until my Dad explained that the same thing happened to him during his worst attacks. Slowly my antidepressants kicked in and the symptoms eased. They still pop up but a little person inside me keeps saying they aren't life threatening because they've happened before and I'm still alive. Unfortunately I can't always hear that little person during an attack.....

As far as managing it, I've read that a lot of people do OK with non-prescription medicines or behavioral therapy, me, I LOVE those drugs!! I would drink horse pee if it worked to get rid or ease my symptoms. What has worked for me is Lexapro and a belt of something after one of those attacks that scare you so bad, you are afraid to sleep. (A belt of something is NOT recommended but my doc doesn't believe in tranquilizers, I think she has no idea how bad a panic attack really is, she's an OB/GYN.)

I agree though, another job if you can swing it without adding more stress might be a consideration.

And come here often! I tend to come only when things are bad but it is SO helpful!

Ann

Closed Thread