It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Do i have generalized anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
    Brooke22
    (female)

Brooke22 HB User
    Arrow Do i have generalized anxiety?

December 2003 I had three "anxiety attacks" in one day. They consisted of lightheadedness, heart racing, shaking, feeling like I was going to die, and pressure in the side of my head. I went to the hospital that night. They did a urine test and a diabetes check. All normal. I was sent home with no answers. Every since that day I've had an everyday occurance of lightheadedness, the shakes(mostly in my hands), feeling of being dazed or out of it, and when I stand for long periods of time it gets worse. I feel like I'm dying from a brain tumor or something. I've been to my doctor several times. I've had blood work done, which comes back normal. I was given xanax and paxil CR. The paxil made me very nauseous, so now I'm taking Zoloft, which doesn't seem to help. The xanax is the only thing that works for me, but it's not always 100%. I'm taking more and more of it now. This "anxiety" has caused me to quit work and school. I would give anything to be "normal" again.
    Is there anything else I should be tested for to make sure this is anxiety? I don't feel like I'm always worrying. Is there any other medications I should try? Should I go to a neurologist or an endocrinologist? I also have alopecia areata, could these be related??

Thanks for any feedback- *Brooke*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
    pbeauchamp

pbeauchamp HB User
    Re: Do i have generalized anxiety?

HI Brooke
    I have almost the same story as you. In November I had red dots all over my body and I was totally freaked out by it, I thought I had cancer or something, I worried so much I gave myself a panic attack. My head went numb, my arms were weak and ever since that day I have not been the same. Everyday there is something wrong with my head. It aches, burns, tingles, I feel like my head is going to pop. I got an mri, and nothing. I got blood tests, nothing. Everyone says its anxiety. i have a hard time believing all my physical symptoms are from anxiety and not some dreaded disease. I have seen loads of doctors and waste my money. I am now seeing a pschotherapist who deals with anxiety. Tommorrow will be my second time there. I also quit my job because I am so preoccupied with what is wrong with me that I can not concentrate on anything else. It gets better tell you doctor you would like anxiety medicine or see a counselor. They are pros and know how to help. Do what you have to do to make yourself sure you don't have any serious problems, then fix you anxiety because it will take ona life of its own. Keep in touch as to what is going on with your situation.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:06 AM   #3
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Brooke,

Keep taking the zoloft hun. It takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks to work completely. If you are taking too much xanex, ask your doctor to put you on klonopin. It is just like xanex, but lasts a whole lot longer. From 12-24 hours at a time. I was on xanex, then ativan, then klonopin. Klonopin worked the best for me. As for as your symptoms, you seem like you had a panic attack to me and the zoloft should help with that. It just takes time to work..........that's all.

This is just some symptoms I had with my panic attack:

Dizzyness, nausea, vomitting, virtigo(walls would move), feeling like I was dying, metallic taste in mouth, ears burning, and a buzzing noise in ears.

Chantel

Old 05-17-2004, 09:14 AM   #4
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

Brooke,

Hang in there. It will get better. We all feel the same as you do. I am dizzy and spaced out 24/7 since march. You need to give the meds a little while to work. Also, be careful of taking too much xanax, it is addictive. It may not be a bad idea to see another doctor to rule out inner ear as a possibility. That is what they thought I had at first. Good luck, and hang in there. There are some of the best people on these boards that will give you great advise.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

just testing

Old 05-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
    spungy
    (female)

spungy HB User

Yes Anxiety causes Alopecia....i had it...nearly lost half my hair.
    All because of stress...even though i didn't feel stressed out.
    I took meds...got better...went off again....6 months later...the anxiety is back for no reason.But on the bright side i'm not loosing my hair anymore.
    Hang in there
    It will get better
    Spungy

Old 05-17-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
    Tanki

Tanki HB User

Here is some information that I got from my doctors office at my session not too long ago. I took suffer from GAD, clinical depression and PTSD, I will make a seperate thread for it , cause it is really long, I hope you will find it helpful, the link will be called GAD and Depression.

Old 05-18-2004, 12:53 AM   #8
    alphamale9009

alphamale9009 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brooke22
    December 2003 I had three "anxiety attacks" in one day. They consisted of lightheadedness, heart racing, shaking, feeling like I was going to die, and pressure in the side of my head. I went to the hospital that night. They did a urine test and a diabetes check. All normal. I was sent home with no answers. Every since that day I've had an everyday occurance of lightheadedness, the shakes(mostly in my hands), feeling of being dazed or out of it, and when I stand for long periods of time it gets worse. I feel like I'm dying from a brain tumor or something. I've been to my doctor several times. I've had blood work done, which comes back normal. I was given xanax and paxil CR. The paxil made me very nauseous, so now I'm taking Zoloft, which doesn't seem to help. The xanax is the only thing that works for me, but it's not always 100%. I'm taking more and more of it now. This "anxiety" has caused me to quit work and school. I would give anything to be "normal" again.
    Is there anything else I should be tested for to make sure this is anxiety? I don't feel like I'm always worrying. Is there any other medications I should try? Should I go to a neurologist or an endocrinologist? I also have alopecia areata, could these be related??

Thanks for any feedback- *Brooke*

As far making sure you don't have anything else, make sure the diabetes test they gave you was a glucose tolerance test, that is, a test where you fast, then they give you a glucose challenge with around 50 grams of sugar and see how your body responds. This will reveal whether your body overreacts to sugar, a simple fasting glucose test will not reveal this. Ask for your results even if you don't have diabetes and compare your glucose response to a normal response and ask your doctor to interpret it for you. You may be pre-diabetic (a term that they just came up with after realizing that some people who didn't qualify for diabetes were sustaining organ damage from a pre-diabetic condition). This condition can cause panic because too much glucose will cause an overactive insulin response. Too much insulin will push the sugar into muscle and fat cells and leave too little sugar circulating for use. The body will then release tons of adrenlin and stress hormones to break open fat and muscle cells to get back the sugar it just got rid of. This is the cause of muscle pain when you get nervous.

If Xanax worked for you, then you definitely have an anxiety problem and whether you have a blood sugar problem or not, Benzo's will help both. It helps the blood sugar by slowing down metabolism and making it harder for blood sugar to plummet. It directly helps panic by increasing relaxing neurotransmitters. I've found Klonopin to be the best for social anxiety. Paxil in high doses had been the most potent but had too many bad side effects. Paxil in low doses is what im trying now. So far though, the absolute best combination has been 1-2 milligrams of Klonopin and 200 milligrams of Atenolol (both fairly cheap medications). Consult your doctor about the atenolol, it is a beta blocker and your blood pressure could go too low, but my blood pressure was in the high normal range to begin with so it had double benefits for me.

I don't know what alopecia areata is, so can't make any suggestions there.

Hope i have been helpful,
    alpha

Old 05-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
    Brooke22
    (female)

Brooke22 HB User

Thanks for all the feedback! I went to my doctor today and was prescribed Effexor XR. He said that Effexor is in a different classification that paxil, zoloft, etc... If the Effexor doesn't work for me then I will try Prozac. Anyone every tried that for anxiety????

Old 05-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #10
    dizzygirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dizzygirl HB User

Brooke,

Let me know how the effexor works for you. I am taking paxil now for over a month and it doesn't seem to work for me this time around. I don't know much a bout prozac, except a friend of mine takes it for severe depression and does well on it.
    Carrie

Old 05-18-2004, 06:11 PM   #11
    Tanki

Tanki HB User

I am on Remeron for Depression, and it's also for my GAD and PTSD. Before that I was on Celexa, and after 6 weeks I just felt horrible, that's when I switched to Remeron. At the end of 2003 I was on Zoloft for 7 years, it just quit working on me.

I've also had clonazepam and lorazepam for anxiety, but it was only used for a short amount of time.

I agree with Alpha (sorry if that's not your name) check for diabetes, just to rule that out.

Old 05-19-2004, 03:51 AM   #12
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Anyone loosing their hair from stress can go to your local Wal-Mart or Pharmacy and get what is called AG Pro Tabs. It is for hair loss expecially from stress. I went through this same thing about 2 years ago and started loosing a whole lot of hair. It would just come right out when I barely pulled on it. I had hair all over the house. My doctor told me to try the tablets and they worked great. It takes up to 6 months for the hair to grow back, but this worked for me. I hope this helps others too. I have a lot of hair and it freaked me out when it started falling, so I know how you all feel.

Chantel

Old 05-19-2004, 03:57 AM   #13
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Very interesting read. Thank you for the information hun

Chantel

Old 05-19-2004, 04:08 PM   #14
    alphamale9009

alphamale9009 HB User

i am of the opinion that if your problem is primarily anxiety, you need a benzo like Xanax. If you have anxiety that causes depression you need a benzo with antidepressant properties like Klonopin. I have not researched Effexor but i have found that SSRI's overdue it when it comes to anxiety. I recommend you try a combination of atenolol and Klonopin, this has a potent antianxiety and antidepressant effect. SSRIs have too much of a depressant effect, kills motivation, sometimes.
    of course my final word of advice is to do your own scientific observations, so far you have observed that Xanax works. If effexor doesn't work, try Xanax with a different dosing schedule, and try Klonopin with atenolol if that doesn't work.

hope i've been helpful,
    alpha

Old 05-20-2004, 12:31 PM   #15
    Tanki

Tanki HB User

I think that if you are dealing with more anxiety then anything then yes anti depressants may not be the way to go, but alot of anti depressants are also for anxiety disorders, ptsd, ocd etc, not mainly for depression.

The only way to really figure this out is to talk to your doctor and get their opinions to see what route you should take.

Tranquilizers do help with anxiety, but they can be highly addictive , got to be careful not to become dependant on them, but they do help.

Effexor, I know people that are on this drug and they did benefit from it, but everyone is different so can't really say it will work or it will not. Only you and a doctor can determine that.

Good luck to you...

Closed Thread