It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Klonopin anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User
    Klonopin anyone?

I saw the pdoc today..........he would like for me to switch over to Klonopin......because he says it is a much smoother drug and he thinks tapering off it will be much easier then the Xanax XR or regular Xanax.......

I took Klonopin years ago in a low dose at bedtime and had great luck with it......however I found out I was pregnant (unplanned) and the pdoc I was seeing then took me off it and another drug (Imipramine) cold turkey.......I was so ill the the OB Gyn had me go back on the Klonopin and I tapered down to a speck before I was able to stop taking it..............however, I know that my situation is different now and that I do have the time to taper very slowly because I am not pregnant or going to be..........I do recall being agitated feeling once I stopped the Klonopin.......but again I think it was withdrawal from being on it for nearly 2 years and then trying to stop so abruptly...........plus they did not allow me to go back on the imipramine.......because it was very dangerous to take while pregnant.........
    Okay, now I'm rambling........

Long story short.......the Pdoc says a direct switch should not give me Xanax withdrawal because the Klonopin will replace it........also he says that Klonopin last longer and should last as long as the XR that I've been taking twice a day............

Any suggestions, comments or thoughts would be most helpful!

Thanks

Kaytee:-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
    byrdleg
    Inactive

byrdleg HB User
    Re: Klonopin anyone?

HI kaytee,
    I posted under your other post.......One more thing..........My .05 is taken every 5 hours as I can tell right away it has worn off. May be the adicted part!???

Are you on anything else??
    BYRDLEG

Old 05-24-2004, 04:23 PM   #3
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User

I have been on Xanax and Klonopin, no problems with me switching, the only thing I noticed was the Xanax seemed to work quicker for me if I was very nervous, however the Klonopin worked better as far as once it got in my system, I was relaxed longer.

Old 05-24-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
    byrdleg
    Inactive

byrdleg HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crabbyroad
    I have been on Xanax and Klonopin, no problems with me switching, the only thing I noticed was the Xanax seemed to work quicker for me if I was very nervous, however the Klonopin worked better as far as once it got in my system, I was relaxed longer.

What dosage of each do you take? I was .25 of xanax and I do not think that is as strong as .05 of Klonopin.
    BYRDLEG

Old 05-24-2004, 09:41 PM   #5
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Forgot to say, like the others said, the Klonopin doesn't act as fast, but lasts longer & my pdoc said I'm only on one pill a day, which he said he doesn't see a problem with that, it's the lowest dose. Also, I didn't have a problem going from xanax to Klonopin. I do still take a xanax now & then when I need a quick fix for my nerves. That is only like maybe once a month or less.

Last edited by lori j; 05-24-2004 at 09:42 PM.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:37 AM   #6
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

Thanks for the replies,

I am going to do a direct switch over beginning tonight. I have to take 2mg though in order to keep things level since I'm on 2mg of Xanax..........but atleast I know I can slowly slowly taper if I choose to......because unlike Xanax XR the Klonopin can be chopped in to pieces.......thank goodness........

Hi BYRDLEG,

I took Klonopin before, just .5 at bedtime............and I only had withdrawal when I stopped taking it abruptly........over time I noticed it wasn't working as well.........but I refused to increase the dose..........but that was over nearly a two year period.......so it seems to work better and not adjust as fast as the Xanax...........

I am currently on Xanax XR........which although is supposed to last 24 hours has been shown to only make it 12.......so the doc has me taking it twice a day..........every 12 hours or so...........and with it I also notice it doesn't work as fast......probably because it is XR and time releases.........so no big dump in to my body when I first take it...........I talked to the pharmacist today and Klonopin lasts much longer then regular Xanax and about the same amount of time as Xanax XR........she says my switch should be easy............I am also on 25mg of Zoloft once a day...........

What my pdoc explained was that all of these drugs, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin are going to have a withdrawal effect and that our bodies can adjust and need more for them to work.........however, he said it is the way in which they are managed and tapered that makes the difference..........and for me I was just on to many meds, to much to fast for a while there and now have to reap the not so fun effects of that..........the good news is that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I have made it a long way......the key though is when tapering to do it very very slowly.........

Better get going,
    Thanks everyone for the input, it helps so much!

Old 05-25-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
    Meagan312
    (female)

Meagan312 HB User

I'm in a real bind about Klonopin, too, especially since my doctor asolutely refuses to prescribe xanax. I've been taking Klonopin (1 mg) every night for sleep (NOT anxiety!) for many years. I always had insomnia but never panic attacks or anything similar. It worked like a dream and I was very happy.

Just the last few weeks, however, I started having terrible anxiety/panic/sleeplessness attacks that don't stop. It's been a nightmare, and suddenly Klonopin doesn't work anymore. If I take it during the day it helps a little, but it's even worse at night. I'm up all the time, or fall asleep and wake up in a sweat an hour later. Increasing the dose seems to make it worse, not better. I'd rather switch to xanax some of the time, but I can't get it.

Any thoughts?

M

Old 05-25-2004, 12:53 PM   #8
    byrdleg
    Inactive

byrdleg HB User

Here is my dilema...................I have been on Klonopin for 5 years.........4 of those were 2 .05 a day.........with Celexa...... Celexa stopped working...........been thru the drug wheel and now am on Lexapro(???) and 3 klonopin a day. I am still anxious an hour and 2 hours after taking it. I keep telling me Doc I think it has out worn its welcome and to try Xanax but she does not think so and keeps wanting to add other things to the lexapro I am not to sure about(upped the dose for 3 days and really had a melt down) How do I get her to try Xanax and what dosage is equal to .05 of klonopin???
    THANKS
    BYRDLEG

Old 05-25-2004, 01:50 PM   #9
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

HI Byrdleg and Meagan,

I went through a similiar experience when I took the Klonopin before............it seemed as if after a year or more it didn't work as well.........that was because my body built up a tolerance to it..........same for Celexa and Paxil..........unfortunately our bodies have built in mechanisms that over time recognize something foreign in our bodies and in turn develops enzymes in our liver to rid our bodies of it.........thus causing it to not work as well because it leaves our bodys much faster.........so your full dose has turned in to a half dose..........I also read about Gamma.........which is what the brain produces to calm us..........when we put a drug like Xanax or Klonopin in our bodies.......the brain slows down on making the Gamma because it figures out that something is making the Gamma for it...........so then when our liver filters out the meds faster and our brain has slowed down the production of the natural calming gamma.........we feel worse............I hope that made sense........I have done some reasearch and was amazed at how smart out bodies are at figuring out something is in there that shouldn't be and trying to get rid of it...........

I had to drop Klonopin down to a tiny tiny speck before I could stop taking it............but as the pdoc explained.........I will have to do that whether I do it with Klonopin or Xanax...........regular Xanax does not last as long as Xanax XR........thus the doc wants me to take Klonopin because it lasts longer and should compensate for the Xanax XR............

It sounds as if you have built up a tolerance for the Klonopin and either need to increase it (with your doctors permission) or change to something else..........if you go to Xanax......know that it does not last as long as Klonopin in your system...........if you choose Xanax XR know that the smallest dose it comes in is .5mg.......and the pills cannot be broken.........so going off the XR can be difficult...........you would probably have to switch back to regular Xanax........

I am a light weight as it is........so these drugs really seem to grab on to me...........

Call or go see your doctor and express your concerns..........

Hang in there,

Old 05-26-2004, 03:08 PM   #10
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

Hi all,

I took the Klonopin in place of my Xanax Xr last night and this morning..........I woke up late last night wide awake......have no idea why.......maybe just my fear of this switch.........I don't know........I was a bit shaky......today I have felt somewhat spacy and yuck.........was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if you think my body will adjust in a few days? Also, I can't this seizure thing out of my head, my pdoc already told me he is not concerned that it will happen, but it says on the Xanax XR and regular Xanax insert that going off to quickly can cause seizure.........my question is........since I have switched to basicly the same thing.........is that why I am not at risk for this to happen to me? See, I am what iffing again........and most likely making myself feel worse...........some of todays feeling may well be anxiety.........

Thanks for listening,

Old 05-26-2004, 03:08 PM   #11
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

Hi all,

I took the Klonopin in place of my Xanax Xr last night and this morning..........I woke up late last night wide awake......have no idea why.......maybe just my fear of this switch.........I don't know........I was a bit shaky......today I have felt somewhat spacy and yuck.........was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if you think my body will adjust in a few days? Also, I can't this seizure thing out of my head, my pdoc already told me he is not concerned that it will happen, but it says on the Xanax XR and regular Xanax insert that going off to quickly can cause seizure.........my question is........since I have switched to basicly the same thing.........is that why I am not at risk for this to happen to me? See, I am what iffing again........and most likely making myself feel worse...........some of todays feelings may well be anxiety.........

Thanks for listening,

Old 05-26-2004, 05:41 PM   #12
    byrdleg
    Inactive

byrdleg HB User

HI Kaytee,
    I would not worry about a seizure........especially since they use Klonopin to treat Seizures.As I stated before I went cold turkey off Klonopin and onto 1 mg Xanax XR ....Withdrawl was hell as the Xanax XR was not equal to the amount of Klonopin I was on. When I first went on Klonopin I remember being so scared! Once my body adjusted ( about a week) it was great. I now take 3 a day and have been on it for over 5 years. I do not know what the max dosage is so if anyone knows I would be interested in that. Bsst of luck to you and give it time. You may even need to add a very small amount of regular Xanax to your day until your body adjusts to the switch. I had no problem going from Xanax to Klonopin, I had my issues trying to switch back.

Hugs to you!
    BYRDLEG!

Old 05-26-2004, 09:20 PM   #13
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

I think you will level out after a few days & I think your doc knows that you are not at risk for seizures. Usually that is a very small percentage of the study who have had them, but even if one person did, they have to list it.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:13 PM   #14
    alphamale9009

alphamale9009 HB User

I swithed from Xanax to Klonopin, cold turkey, it was an easy switch, but i had only been on the xanax for about two months. Klonopin helped with both anxiety and depressive symptoms. It is a very comfortable drug, no noticeable side affects at my dosage which is from 1-2 mgs a day. 3 mgs a day made me somewhat high and hyper, which was a good feeling, but could lead to addiction. One study showed 1 miligram to be superior to higher dosages for anxiety, so i'd stick close around to that.

alpha

Old 05-31-2004, 10:14 PM   #15
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

Thanks for all of the responses. My body did seem to need an adjustment period, but it seems to be leveling off now.

Alpha, the comment about 3mg making you high and hyper. That is how I felt today, not really high, but very hyper, I was moving so fast, trying to get so much done in not enough time. Anyhow, I wondered if it was the drug or just me beginning to lift up and feel like my old keep busy self again. I switched from 2mg Xanax XR to 2mg Klonopin. I noticed some moodiness but that seems to be going away a little more each day and also some shakiness.

Thanks again,

Closed Thread