It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Depersonalisation - making my life a nightmare

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2004, 12:34 PM   #1
    genie04
    (female)

genie04 HB User
    Depersonalisation - making my life a nightmare

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me/offer any advice.

I have been suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks for over 6 months now. The physical sensations I can just about deal with but what is really making my life a misery is that I have had depersonalisation 24/7 now since it all began and it is this feeling of being unreal and having no "self" that I cant cope with.

I have been told it is just another symptom of panic but a) i have it permanently and b) I'm sure it is BECAUSE of this that I permanently feel anxious and panicky!

I'm tired of living with this and sometimes I dont know how I am going to make it through the next day. Has anyone ever experienced this? Can it ever go away as Im scared that I cant see an end to it.

Are there any tips/methods/advice on how to stop this distressing feeling as I have tried to make it go away but to no avail.

Thanks for any help

Genie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Depersonalisation - making my life a nightmare

Hi
    look up depersonalisation and derealisation on the net and see if this is actually what you have
    although unpleasant these conditions wont cause you any harm, they are caused by stress and anxiety so you need to learn how to calm yourself and to relax, in order to reduce them

meds will help, valium and an antidepressant being popular

Old 06-01-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
    reppy

reppy HB User

I'm going through the same thing... I've found doing things that affirm my life, such as going to the park, seeing a movie, etc. help me feel much better.

Last time I went through this that I recall was when I was switching meds .. the new med I was taking wasn't working or it was causing increased panic.. got back on my old meds and things were fine .. until now.

I know what caused them, what stressed me out, what gave me anxieties, etc..

Old 06-01-2004, 04:38 PM   #4
    alphamale9009

alphamale9009 HB User

If you treat the anxiety, the depersonalization will usually go away. I recommend Benzos for anxiety, do some research and find a benzo with anti-depressive properties like Klonopin and ask your doctor about it. You'll get out of the gelatin reality, I promise. Most people with anxiety with depression have experienced it. It has also been my experience that some medications, SSRI's especially can trigger depersonalization, so if you just started an SSRI, that may be the cause and you may need to just wait it out. Some people say it gets better, in my experience, it never did, SSRI's just wasn't the way for me. But always take the scientific approach, try different things and see what works for you

alpha

Old 08-02-2004, 09:33 PM   #5
    Dobby12

Dobby12 HB User

I too have the 24/7 depersonal/derealization feelings that you're talking about. It sucks... I don't feel like myself anymore... everything seems fake like its not really happening to me. It is the number one cause of my anxiety/panic because I start thinking about how wierd I'm feeling... it's been this way for about a month and has resulted in agoraphobia. Like you said, I can deal with the physical symptoms because those are explainable... but this is just wierd... like a month long acid trip or something. I really need it to go away. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

for depersonalisation try squeezing your keys hard in your hand and concentrate on the pain

lightheadedness is often confused with depresonalisation

Old 08-04-2004, 12:37 PM   #7
    yazzer
    (male)

yazzer HB User

Unreality is my primary demon as well with PD. I try to just deal with it and float with it as much as possible. I have read different things as to its cause but it primarily has to do with fatigue of the brain/nervous system due to the constant barrage of adrenaline and other anxiety chemicals. The chemical balance is off. It will reset itself through meds and/or therapy (CBT) and probably even reset itself automatically over time. Until then, you just have to learn to live with it and accept/float along for the ride. Tough to do, I know, but it is not harmful.

Take care,
    Mike

Old 08-04-2004, 08:47 PM   #8
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

i dunno if you can treat depersonalization without treating the anxiety. i know you can squeeze keys, or do other lil things, but when my panic was cured, but depersonalization was cured. one thing i did for depersonalization is walk. all it is, is a rush of adrenaline. so, logically, if you walk or jog, you'll burn some of it off. i recomend getting hypnotized. i suffered from months of anxiety and panic attacks, and nightly ER visits.....after 1 session with a hypnotist, i have not had a single depersonalization episode, or a single panic attack since. good luck to all.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:18 PM   #9
    tooanxious
    Veteran
    (male)

tooanxious HB User

I can agree with the walking park. It has helped me burn off the adrenaline and cuts down on my symptoms even when I am stressed and worried. Instead of the adrenaline doing weird things to your body like heart pounding and the like it will be channeled to something that is actually healthy.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:22 AM   #10
    yazzer
    (male)

yazzer HB User

Yep - once the anxiety/panic get under control, the unreality/depersonalization seems to resolve itself. So, that just goes to show ya that the symptom is a result of over-active chemical release (adrenaline) and a tired mind. Hang in there. It's tough - I know but try to float along with it - remember people on narcotic drugs pay good money for this feeling!

Mike

Last edited by yazzer; 08-05-2004 at 08:25 AM.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:10 AM   #11
    Mario21
    Inactive

Mario21 HB User

hahaha, i always thought that when i had a PA. i'd sit there and think, "i can't believe people like feeling like this and pay to feel like this." i don't drink anymore because i don't like feeling that way. i used to drink......not alot....but when i did, i made sure i made up for lost time, haha. but now, i drink maybe once a month, and i'll have like, 2 beers or something. if i wanna get drunk now, i just worry. HAHA

Closed Thread