It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Don't mix Advil and Lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
    jete23
    (female)

jete23 HB User
    Exclamation Don't mix Advil and Lexapro

My granmother, as well as myself, are both on Lexapro for Panic and Anxiety. Last night, I had a migraine (i have had them since I was 6, now 23), and I took 2 advil. I got kinda antsy, and as I was laying down to try to go to sleep, I just felt like I was not "here". I feel kinda spacey on Lexapro, but this was really bad. I jumped up b/c I felt like I could not get enough air, and I could barely feel my pulse. Eventually, I calmed myself down, and everything was fine.
    Well, today, my grandmother went to her doc, and he said ABSOLUTELY do not mix Advil and Lexapro. He said the only OTC pain reliever we should take is Tylenol.
    Okay, anynoe who has ever had a TRUE migraine knows that Tylenol works for s***. So, wondering first, why cannot we not mix Advil or Aleve and Lexapro , and second, if there are any migraine sufferers out there who are on SSRIs, what do you take-prescription or non-prescription.
    Thanks and Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 06:44 AM   #2
    plantlover

plantlover HB User
    Re: Don't mix Advil and Lexapro

I am on Lexapro as well and last night I had a bad headache so I took some advil. However, I felt really tired and blah. I don't know if its a reaction due to the advil or not. But my pshychiatrist didn't say anything to me about not mixing the two. I wonder??????????

Old 06-03-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
    jete23
    (female)

jete23 HB User

I looked it up last night on a drug interation website, and it said that ibprofin and naproxin (which is it aleve) an lexapro can cause gastrointestinal bleeding. However, it showed no side effects with aspirin, which is weird, b/c I always thought aspirin was worse for your stomach.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

I take ibuprofin a lot for headaches. I am also on lexapro and I have had no problems. I also take naproxen for cramps.
    Carly
    and your right tylenol sucks!!!

Old 06-04-2004, 04:26 AM   #5
    no patience
    Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

guess what i am also on lexapro and i just woke up about a half an hour ago with a headache because i did'nt sleep very well and guess what i took you guessed it advil did her dr say why you might have put it in the post already i'll go back and read it now i'm scared i just looked it up on drug interactions and it's definitly not a good thing

Last edited by no patience; 06-04-2004 at 04:41 AM.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

advil is a NSAID and similar to asprin, I havent heard of any problems with it and an antidepressant, but everyone is different in the way they react to meds

Old 06-05-2004, 10:14 AM   #7
    byrdleg
    Inactive

byrdleg HB User

My PS doctor told me I could take anything over the counter with out any interaction......... I have taken 800 mg of motrin but i wil pay more attention to how I Feel. I do have frequent migrains and I take Maxalt and it works wonders for me. As for Tylenol, advil ect they do NOTHING for my headaches. I only take Motrin for back pain and muscle aches. Maybe call your pharmacy.....they would know more.

Take Care
    BYRLEG

Old 06-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #8
    jete23
    (female)

jete23 HB User

I went to my dr. today, and asked her about it, and she could not find any interactions. So, after getting another story, I called the pharmacy, and they said it's fine. If you are taking both, they said to try to eat something w/ both, b/c it may cause an upset stomach

Old 06-09-2004, 01:37 AM   #9
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Jete,

I was never told this. I will have to ask my doctor about this because I am on Lexapro and have been taking Advil with it. I don't take them at the same time though. I never mix anything with my Lexapro. I wait a few hours before taking anything else. The Advil has actually helped my sinuses a whole lot. This makes me very concerne though. Thanks for the info.

Chantel

Closed Thread