It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• My heart races for no reason...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
    sabrinarose
    Inactive

sabrinarose HB User
    My heart races for no reason...

Lately,whenever someone talks about something intense,like someone dying or a mental illness,car accident...pretty much anything deep,my heart starts beating really fast and I get scared.Like today,we were talking about skitzophreina and I just couldnt help my heart from beating really fast and I started to get crazy thoughts like "maybe I have it,maybe lots of ppl in my family have it but they just hide it"

Anyone else feel like this? I havent always been like this ut its getting harder and harder to deal with

Please reply

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Re: My heart races for no reason...

Your feelings are a part of anxiety/panic. The reason your heart is racing is because you are fearing about what people are talking about. You are not going to die from anxiety and you are not going to go crazy. I doubt you have scizophrenia, generally people who are crazy don't feel like they are going to go crazy. They think they are normal and when they are not normal, they think they are abnormal. Trust me, we all feel like doom or we are going crazy when panic hits us. We all get the racing heart, the nervousness, trembling, sweating etc. but they might not all happen unless you go fully into a panic attack. Don't fight it if it happens, go through it but what you can do is start to ground. Like if you feel it coming on, start looking around and ground with your surroundings, such as: the walls are white or whatever color they are, the coffee table is brown, the t.v is large, the carpet is rose, etc. or do the same thing with nature. Keep doing it until you feel the dread feeling go away. You might still get some body reactions, but at least you made it through or broke your panic attack. Hope this helps. And by all means, if they are so frequent and getting to you, go find a therapist who works with anxiety. You will learn how to break the anxiety, how to deep breathe and talk about what ever is bothering you. I haven't gotten rid of it totally, but I can work through most of it now, but still get the jitters and that just might be carrying the everyday anxiety or hormone changes from perimenopause.

Andrea

Old 06-07-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

The body has a natural component (designed to protect us) called the fight/flight mechanism. It kicks in when we sense danger, real or imagined. Adrenaline surges kick in. This speeds up the heart. We may hyerventilate, breathe shallow, and as a result feel short of breathe. What was described by the previous poster was distraction technics. These often help, and non-drug therapies are preferred over drug therapies as drugs often create dependency and/or simply stop working. Many take benodiazepines (Xanax, Ativan, Valium, Klonopin) to prevent these episodes. These drugs however are highly unadvised for long term (more than a month) daily use due to tolerance (needing to take more and more to get the same effect) and addiction. The withdrawal syndromes from this family of drugs can often be horrible and quite lengthy. A better choice would be to have some small dose beta blocker pills available in case in the panic does not soon subside. These can be taken as needed and counter the adrenaline surges that speed up the heart. Just having a few in your pocket may also give some feelings of security.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howard: Right on. What beta blockers are you speaking of? I use to take inderol years ago when I had a thyroid problem. I had to take just a bit cause it slowed my heart rate. I don't think I could take it now cause my heart is normal but rate is slow, don't want to slow it anymore. The only time it pumps up is when I use to exercise or a panic/anxiety attack. Any other beta blockers out there that stop the adrenaline from flowing all over the body?

Andrea

Old 06-08-2004, 05:04 AM   #5
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

ainfante,

Metoprolol is what I have, instant release, 50 mgs. I take 1/2 as needed. With me they are pretty mild, just have knocked me down into the normal ranges, nothing low. They may come in 25 mg tabs that you could spilt. They are not much on the anxiety itself, but great on the symptoms and thus would hinder anxiety from compounding. I have only had to take one twice. Am doing a slow Valium taper and my BP and heart rate have spiked badly on a couple of occasions. Were not really panic attacks, which I used to get (first time in my life) between Xanax doses. I think the half-life on these betas is pretty short so you may discuss the prospect with your doc. Of course I cannot take benzos for emergencies as that would lead to dose increases and they are the drugs I need to get off of. Benzos slow the heart too so nothing lost or gained there...

Old 06-08-2004, 07:59 AM   #6
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by howard678
    ainfante,

Metoprolol is what I have, instant release, 50 mgs. I take 1/2 as needed. With me they are pretty mild, just have knocked me down into the normal ranges, nothing low. They may come in 25 mg tabs that you could spilt. They are not much on the anxiety itself, but great on the symptoms and thus would hinder anxiety from compounding. I have only had to take one twice. Am doing a slow Valium taper and my BP and heart rate have spiked badly on a couple of occasions. Were not really panic attacks, which I used to get (first time in my life) between Xanax doses. I think the half-life on these betas is pretty short so you may discuss the prospect with your doc. Of course I cannot take benzos for emergencies as that would lead to dose increases and they are the drugs I need to get off of. Benzos slow the heart too so nothing lost or gained there...
    Howard, I know what you mean about getting off. I was addicted to Ativan for years, the docs put me on it when I had a thyroid problem, never treated me properly and then I became addicted and they made me withdraw cold turkey. That was a nightmare. My friends had me sip cognac to relieve the high blood pressure. So I know where you are coming from. Well, I don't take much Xanax, just allow myself to feel nervous most of the time, even going through therapy. I'm just tired of it. It's like being anxious all the time.
    So the beta blocker you are on blocks adrenaline but doesn't lower the heart rate?
    Andrea

Old 06-08-2004, 11:47 AM   #7
    Tanki

Tanki HB User

A fast beating heart is a classic anxiety symptom ... you were getting youself worked up for over the conversation that you had about schizophrena is all. Nothing to worry about. You will not die, you will not get sick. And it did go away right?

Heart palps are normal for anxiety. They can be frightening, but just tell yourself that you will be ok, do some deep breathing , abdmominal breathing is the best. If you feel your chest getting tighter, pull back your shoulder blades, it will open up your ribs, and you'll be able to breathe better.

You are definatly not alone with this. I can almost gaurentee that anyone who suffers anxiety has had this happen to them. Me included.

Take care, try not to worry, it is actually quite normal. They are scary, but do what I told you. It will help.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to sabrinarose
    it also helps to accept the racing heart and to not worry about it or to tense up and fight back against it

its common from anxiety and worry

Old 06-08-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ainfante
    Howard, I know what you mean about getting off. I was addicted to Ativan for years, the docs put me on it when I had a thyroid problem, never treated me properly and then I became addicted and they made me withdraw cold turkey. That was a nightmare. My friends had me sip cognac to relieve the high blood pressure. So I know where you are coming from. Well, I don't take much Xanax, just allow myself to feel nervous most of the time, even going through therapy. I'm just tired of it. It's like being anxious all the time.
    So the beta blocker you are on blocks adrenaline but doesn't lower the heart rate?
    Andrea
    The beta blocker (metophorol) most certainly does lower the heart rate also. Im my case, gets in back where it needs to be but no too slow. How long did it take you to recover from the Ativan cold turkey? I tried to come off 1 mg of Klonopin and caved in in about 3 weeks. It was murder. Now I am weaning off Valium (long acting, easier to taper), getting pretty close to the finish line. I deal with anxiousness also but staying busy helps.

Closed Thread