It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• need some lexapro advice!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #1
    Alli1981

Alli1981 HB User
    need some lexapro advice!!!

hello
    i recently started taking lexapro. i take 5mg and it will be four weeks on sunday. i am still having side effects. i call it clenching, like i always want to clench my fists or my jaw. i also have so so much trouble concentrating. and sometimes i just dont feel like myself. i take ativan as needed. i expected to be doing better by now. i have noticed a slow improvement in the side effects. i think i need to go up in dosage but i dont know if this will help me or make my side effects worse. does anyone have any advice? was anyone still having side effects 4 weeks in and it got better? maybe lexapro isn't for me? please give feedback!!!!
    thanks and lots of luck
    alli

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
    tgrose
    (female)

tgrose HB User
    Re: need some lexapro advice!!!

5 mg isn't much. You probably won't notice much help until you go up to 10 mg. I've been on 10 mg/day for about 4 months now, and it took about 4-6 weeks for my side effects to go away. I had to start out on 5 mg/day and work up to 10. I had severe side effects such as burning skin, irritability and restlessness. It was very difficult the first couple of weeks, but I don't have any side effects now. Talk to your doc. You may want to try 10 mg/day in two doses of 5 mg. That's how I had to do it. The side effects should lesson by 4-6 weeks.

Old 06-19-2004, 08:54 PM   #3
    jete23
    (female)

jete23 HB User

I was on 5mg of Lexapro for 5 weeks, and then had to up it b/c I had a couple of Panic Attacks. Have now been on 10mg for over a week now, and have had no additional side effects. My side effects were really bad in the beginning-burning skin, nausea, clenching etc., but everything has pretty much diminshed.
    Don't be scared to up it-5mg is practically nothing. The standard dosing is 20mg per day. You can take it in 2 parts if you'd like-5mg in the Am and 5mg at night. I chose to just up in all in 1 shot,a dn I was REALLY afraid to up it, and everything's been good so far.
    If I were you, I would up it to the 10mg, give it like 4 more weeks, and then see how you feel. Maybe it's not for you, and there are plenty of other drugs out there, but if it does work, and you don't give it a fair shot, then you'll never know...
    Good Luck!

Old 06-20-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
    Alli1981

Alli1981 HB User

thank you so much for the replies. it really makes me feel hopeful, keep your lexapro experiences coming. i am sure a lot of people on lexapro besides myself are reading them! also do you lexapro users drink? how do you react?
    thanks and lots of luck
    alli

Old 06-20-2004, 09:20 PM   #5
    jete23
    (female)

jete23 HB User

I haven't tried drinking yet, b/c if I even eat a sugar cookie, I feel really messed up. When all this went down, I cut all alcohol, soda, caffiene, sugar etc. out of my diet, b/c I didn't want anything else triggering an attack. Now, it's been so long since it's been out that when I have a cookie or soda, I don't feel right afterwards. Had some ginger ale at a party yesterday, and even though there's no caffiene, it still made me feel kinda weird, so I'm gonna wait til my insurance kicks in, and I can go get all my bloodwork and stuff checked out before I introduce it back into my diet.
    But, there are plenty of people who drink using these meds. I wouldn't recommend drinking excessively, but if you'd like to have a glass of wine or beer, you should be alright. I would just do it at home first, in case you get tired or buzzed quicker from the mixture.

Old 06-23-2004, 04:09 PM   #6
    Alli1981

Alli1981 HB User

thank you for the feedback, it really helps! just wondering if any of you take ativan? and for how long did you take the ativan? and how much? just curious. would like to get some more opinions on just when the side effects (ie: clenching) stopped, 4 weeks? 5 weeks? longer? sooner?
    thanks, I am trying to hang in there but this med has been tough these past 4 weeks.
    lots of luck,
    alli

Old 06-23-2004, 10:09 PM   #7
    schmitty

schmitty HB User

Hi Alli,
    I just had an appointment for TMJ symptoms and the doctor told me that a common side effect of SSRI's is clenching, grinding etc. He said that my front teeth have been ground down significantly (I've been on Celexa and Paxil for 10 yrs. ) I had no idea that the TMJ and SSRI's were connected.

Things that have been helping a lot are massage, meditation and yoga. I also did some biofeedback to have a better awareness of my grinding.

Good luck with this and share and I'll be interested in any other advice you get.

Closed Thread