It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Xanax XR, PLEASE Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2004, 08:28 PM   #1
    resiware

resiware HB User
    Arrow Xanax XR, PLEASE Help!

Hello My Friends & Fellow Panic Pals,
    Recently I was put back on the benzos to help with stress and to prevent my panic attacks. I have the horrible ones, we all have had them. The inital medication was Xanax 0.5 MG 3x a day. The Xanax stopped working and we all know why, tolerance. Then my doctor switched me to Ativan 1 MG 3x a day and 2 months later to Ativan 2 MG 3x a day. The Ativan stopped working as well so we moved back to the Xanax 0.5 3.x a day. At first the decrease in dosage caused me about a week of mild withdrawl and then I became myself again. Today I called to refill my Xanax and they ended up giving me Xanax XR 1 MG once a day. My question is; is anyone on Xanax XR? How is it working for you? Did a change or the initial dosage make you feel strange .. ?? I mean I am panicky over the change as I can not be too Xanax'd during the day and I don't know .. more scared of addiction and being too dependant and just have alot of questions ...

Thanks and I hope everyone is getting along fine ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2004, 05:05 AM   #2
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User
    Re: Xanax XR, PLEASE Help!

Not on Xanax XR but it is time released, as I read your post it appears your dosage is being reduced?

If your only Xanax .5 3Xs daily that totals 1.5 mg total. Your new refill is one-1 mg daily right, but the XR version? If this is correct your shouldnt feel overly drugged.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Imo youn shouldnt just rely on xanax or other benzos for anxiety and panic attacks

the XR doses apparently dont equal the ordinary xanax doses, ask a pharmacist

XR lasts longer but takes longer to start working

Old 07-07-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
    bbear

bbear HB User

I was around 17 or so when I started having panic attack's....mind you I'm 42 yrs old now...but when the P.A first started ..I would have sworn I was losing my mind After seven yrs of different meds and being told ...it was all in my head...(Well Duh)........I was on the verge of just giving up and trying to go on like it didn't matter....You know how you make excuses about not driving , not wanting to get out.....That was me! Then I found a Dr ..who put me on Xanax .....It (xanax) had just been introduced to the world of new medications........I was also told it was none habit forming ....So I started to take it........I think...yrs ago..lol...I started on 2 mg's per day and low and behold I'm now on 4 mg per day! I never exceed the dosage.......Would I have taken it yrs ago..knowing what I know now about xanax.....probably not.......but it is now part of my every day life......I have to admit xanax came thew for me..during panic attacks.......It is a gifted drug in that area....but I'm 100% addicted to it........if you take xanax ..just be careful..........and never exceed your dosage........I really wish you the best! Tracy

Old 07-09-2004, 10:25 PM   #5
    Sickman
    (male)

Sickman HB User
    Smile Re: Xanax XR, PLEASE Help!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resiware
    Hello My Friends & Fellow Panic Pals,
    Recently I was put back on the benzos to help with stress and to prevent my panic attacks. I have the horrible ones, we all have had them. The inital medication was Xanax 0.5 MG 3x a day. The Xanax stopped working and we all know why, tolerance. Then my doctor switched me to Ativan 1 MG 3x a day and 2 months later to Ativan 2 MG 3x a day. The Ativan stopped working as well so we moved back to the Xanax 0.5 3.x a day. At first the decrease in dosage caused me about a week of mild withdrawl and then I became myself again. Today I called to refill my Xanax and they ended up giving me Xanax XR 1 MG once a day. My question is; is anyone on Xanax XR? How is it working for you? Did a change or the initial dosage make you feel strange .. ?? I mean I am panicky over the change as I can not be too Xanax'd during the day and I don't know .. more scared of addiction and being too dependant and just have alot of questions ...

Thanks and I hope everyone is getting along fine ...
    Dear resiware,
    The test results for Xanax XR did not show a result of lasting much longer then regular Xanax. Xanax regular around 5-7 hours, XR around 8-10 hours. Switching from 1.5mg to 1mg is a lower dosage. Extended release only releases the mg amount as specified. It is not an increase or stronger dosage. My opinion only: If you are on extended release, you should be 1mg morning and 1mg night. I take regular xanax at 6 hour intervals of 1mg. If your xanax level that you must stable at does not make it around the clock it can cause more withdrawal types of side effects that mimic anxiety and panic symptoms itself. You must stablize on a level that lasts around the clock. Good luck
    Sincerely,

Sickman

Closed Thread