It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• What's better, Zoloft of Prozac?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2004, 11:20 AM   #1
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    What's better, Zoloft of Prozac?

Can anyone tell me their experiences with these drugs? Im' taking prozac but I know someone who tried Lexapro, didnt' work but Zoloft did wonders for her anxiety. The side effect she is having is vivid dreams.

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User
    Re: What's better, Zoloft of Prozac?

You might want to read "Talking Back To Prozac" "Prozac Nation", and do a Google search on Prozac and it's side effects. There are horrible side effects such as not eating, paranoia, lack of sex drive, can't sleep, anxiety attacks, thoughts of suicide, homocide, ect. There have been a few moms who killed their kids while taking Prozac. documented.

Who was the sports guy who killed his wife? on Prozac.

I used to lay in bed at night and think about how to kill my husband, who I loved very much, and where to bury him in the back yard when I was on Prozac. I thought that he would be better off without me so I was planning a homocide/suicide. Good thing that I knew better and got off of the meds.

My daughter swore by Zoloft. Didn't do anything for me. I live with my depresssion by utilitzing sunshine, exercise and an understanding mate.

These drugs effect our sleeping patterns. I hated the lucid dreaming that went with the anti-depressants. that is, when I got sleep.

Old 07-19-2004, 02:33 PM   #3
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Prozac doesn't bother me. It just hasn't gotten rid of my anxiety. It's helped alot with panic attacks but Im still feeling dizzy and anxious here and there. someone else I know on another board is taking Zoloft who use to take Lexapro and the Zoloft is working just great.

Andrea

Old 07-19-2004, 09:12 PM   #4
    stillill

stillill HB User

I think it probably depends on the person. Different people react differently to different medications. Prozac may work very well for someone but may be very bad for someone else. At least that's what i've read and been told.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:00 PM   #5
    Binky74
    Inactive

Binky74 HB User

Both Prozac and Zoloft are SSRIs, but they are chemically distinct; so, like the other folks said, what works well for one person might not work as well for another. It's probably true, however, that many people who have had good luck with one SSRI will also tend to do well on other SSRIs. It's just that side effects can vary quite a bit.

Some people, including myself, tend to rotate the SSRI drug we're taking every couple of years or so in order to avoid the phenomenon known as "SSRI poop-out" (where the drug stops working as well, or starts to blunt your emotions and/or sap your motivation a bit). Later on, once a given drug has been out of your system for a while, you can go back on it successfully if it worked for you before. Consequently, I've taken both Prozac and Zoloft in high doses, each for at least a couple of years at a time. I will have no problem whatsoever with returning to either one of those in the future if my current SSRI (Celexa) poops out on me eventually.

Prozac's most notable difference from Zoloft is probably its longer half-life. Prozac stays in the body considerably longer than Zoloft, so accidentally missing one or even more doses is unlikely to cause any effects. It's also easier to cease treatment with Prozac for this reason, should you ever need or decide to do so.

On the other hand, that longer half-life can be a disadvantage if, for example, you're trying to deal with sexual side effects by taking a periodic "drug holiday" (deliberately skipping or reducing the dose for a day or two) to reduce the levels of the drug in your system in time to have better sex with your significant other. You really can't do that with Prozac; with Zoloft you can, and many folks (especially women) do. Skipping doses, of course, is something one should discuss with one's doctor.

Also, I've read (I think it was in The Pill Book, 10th Ed.) that Prozac generally takes about a month to begin fully working once you start taking it, whereas Zoloft and the other SSRIs usually take around 7-10 days. These are just general rules of thumb, of course -- they probably vary a lot from person to person.

No matter what drug you're taking, the side effects will almost always be worst at the beginning of treatment. Many SEs (especially stuff like stomach upset) lessen a lot in intensity or go away completely after being on a drug for a few weeks, once the body has had a chance to adapt.

My advice (which your doctor might not agree with!) is that if the Prozac is keeping away the panic attacks, it's probably best not to switch yet. If you're panic-free but still feeling anxious, then you might need to wait a while longer for the drug to reach its full effect. May I ask how long you've been on it and at what dose? If you've been on Prozac for a couple of months or more and are still only at 20 mg/day, then you might just need a dosage increase. You and your doctor can get that squared away at your next appointment, but this is just my opinion based on my own experiences with Prozac.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2004, 06:00 AM   #6
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

betty, your post made me remember Phil Hartman and his wife. I think she was on Zoloft when she killed him. Wasnt much further in the news about why she did it, so it could have been the drugs.

Old 07-20-2004, 06:10 AM   #7
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Binky, thanks for the post. I feel a bit more relieved now. I'm taking 10mg. of Prozac and Iknow that isn't enough but it has helped with the Panic attacks. I'm real drug sensitive and I don't want to become addicted so I'm trying to stay at a dose that will be easy for me to get off. But also, I feel I need to maybe increase to 15mg. or take the full 20mg. eventually.

Andrea

Old 07-20-2004, 09:54 AM   #8
    KShortie

KShortie HB User
    Cool Re: What's better, Zoloft of Prozac?

I take Zoloft along with Xanax and they work very well for me. I know people who take Paxil and Prozac and they work for them. I do have vivid dreams on Zoloft, some real wild ones! I took Prozac years ago when it first came out. I was part of the clinical trial for it (or rather my psychiatrist was participating) Prozac I had a bad reaction to. I started to dream about blood, etc. I began to have bad thoughts. They say you can have suicidal or homicidal thoughts, I had the latter. My husband said of course, she would kill me not herself (ha, ha). They weaned me off and I was afraid to take these types of drugs for years, I just took Xanax, but then they convinced me Zoloft was better so I tried it. I had no bad side effects and it has worked very well. I still have to take the Xanax though.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:51 PM   #9
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

This is really making me nervous with all this bad talk about Prozac. I'm taking it and everyone is speaking about how taking it will make you kill someone. This is horrible! I've been taking it for about 7 weeks or more, maybe longer, just 10 mg. and I don't want to kill anyone. This is making me nervous.

Andrea

Old 07-20-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I can understand why it would be making you nervous, Andrea...I never took Prozac in my life and reading some of this stuff is making me nervous.
    What you have to remember is that the people who are usually the most vocal are the ones who've had problems with a certain drug....most of the time the ones who've had success don't say much...although some do we seem to be in the minority.
    That's why when someone asks about Zoloft, Paxil or Kolonipin I don't say very much...they sure weren't for me, but they work well for others.
    These drugs affect different people in different ways...no two people are alike.
    I personally know two people that take Prozac and they both have only good things to say about it.

Like someone else said, if you read the side effects of asprin most people would be scared to take it.

People who've had bad experiances with the drug I took come on here all the time with stories of how bad the drug is for you and how you can become dependent on it or tolorant to it...I know for a fact that if I'd read any of those posts before I ever took it, I would have been scared to death.
    But, I'm living breathing proof that though that drug may be a big problem for some people it gave me my life back and I never had one single problem with it.

If the Prozac is working for you then try not to get upset or scared by the posts.
    Like I said, not everyone is the same just because someone has a problem with a certain drug in no way means you will too.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:16 PM   #11
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks, I truly appreciate this.

Andrea

Old 07-21-2004, 12:39 AM   #12
    Binky74
    Inactive

Binky74 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ainfante
    This is really making me nervous with all this bad talk about Prozac. I'm taking it and everyone is speaking about how taking it will make you kill someone. This is horrible! I've been taking it for about 7 weeks or more, maybe longer, just 10 mg. and I don't want to kill anyone. This is making me nervous.

Andrea
    Not to worry! Prozac and Zoloft are extremely popular and well-studied drugs. If they turned people into cold-blooded killers, then the murder rate in the US would have shot way up with the introduction of these drugs, as Zoloft is the 11th most popular prescription drug in the US and Prozac is #19. (The latter figures are from 2001 -- I got them from The Pill Book, 10th Edition, which is a handy little guide you can find at the supermarket.)

No drug is 100% safe. For example, some people can get brain damage from using penicillin even once. People have also been known to get paralyzed from simple vaccination shots. That certainly doesn't mean penicillin or vaccines are "unsafe" -- it's just that freakish things happen with certain people in extremely rare cases. The chances of Prozac or Zoloft turning you into a killer or a crazy person are incredibly slim -- you're probably more likely to be killed by an airplane crashing into your house while you sleep! Remember, there's an enormous difference between a drug making you merely think homicidal thoughts and actually causing you to become homicidal. Even "normal" people have homicidal thoughts every now and then.

By the way, as you noted yourself, 10 mg/day is a very low dose of Prozac. Don't worry about addiction with these drugs -- although you shouldn't stop any drug cold-turkey, I was on 60 mg/day of Prozac for several years and was able to stop cold-turkey with no ill effects. (I did relapse into anxiety about two months after stopping, but that wasn't the fault of the drug -- it was just my illness coming back.) So all I'm saying is, if you and your doctor think a higher dose is called for, don't be afraid to go with it.

Good luck again, and take care!

Last edited by Binky74; 07-21-2004 at 12:40 AM.

Old 07-21-2004, 05:45 AM   #13
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ainfante
    Thanks, I truly appreciate this.

Andrea
    You're very welcome Andrea...believe me I know what it's like to be terrified by the stuff you read.
    I used to read the medical dictionary...my husband threw it away, because I was convinced that I had eveything I read about.

Closed Thread