It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• My Life with Anxiety & How I overcame It.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2004, 10:02 AM   #1
    Tanki

Tanki HB User
    My Life with Anxiety & How I overcame It.

I had anxiety from early on in age, I know I had it longer then when I was diagnosed with it at the age of 16.. I remember being anxious when I was really young and my parents would go out for dinner, if they were 1 minute late I'd start crying and panicking thinking something happened to them... that happened alot.

Anxiety can be crippling, but if you put your foot forward in little baby steps you can over come it. No one wants anxiety to rule them. It ruled me for so many years, where I'd panic, i'd get so scared to do something that I'd curl up in a ball and cry hysterically. That got so bad, and my depression got so bad at the age of 15 before I met my psychiatrist I went for catscans the whole sha-bang, I was a hermit living in my room for close to a year, not changing from my pajama's. sleep alot, never let my house for anything.

You'd have to drag me, and still I'd find away out of it.

I avoided any and every situation that caused me great anxiety. One day I realized that I was tired of being anxiety ridden to go to a friends house around the corner from my house. I was tired of not being able to go camping, to parties, to peoples houses for supper. So when I was ready to nip this in the butt my psychiatrist helped me, and I had to take alot of backwards steps before I could make alot of forward steps. 8 years it took me to be where I am now... 8 years it took to learn postive self talk to the point where it actually worked.

One book that turned my thinking pattern around, that helped me with my anxiety was the book Don't Panic by R.Reid Wilson, PH.D.. I've never had a book effect me in such a postive way ..... Great read. I should re-read it.

Anxiety use to control my life for so many years, and enough was enough, now I control it... IT doesn't stop me from going outside, camping, sleeping somewhere that isn't home. I can go anywhere I want. I get anxiety every time that I go somewhere, but I can pretty much tell it to go away now and it does. No matter how bad the symptoms are I Remind myself that it's just the anticipatory anxiety.

Another thing that I Mis-understood and I bet you guys all that you've done the exact same this. Is thinking that excitment is anxiety. They feel the exact same way as anxiety does, so every time we feel anxious about doing something ... and you ask yourself why you are feeling this way, why be anxious when you are looking forward to doing something so much? You are excited, excited is what it is and not always anxiety. Alot of people automatically assume that it's anxiousness when in fact it is the exact opposite.

Therapy, meds, exposure to the thread, books like Don't Panic and The anxiety & phobia workbook by Edmund J Bourne, PH.D , friends, family, loved ones. I am no longer plaged with panic attacks and fear so bad whereI thought i'd die.

It took me 8 years to accomplish postive self talk to the point where it actually worked. It takes time, alot of practice and paitents. It's not easy to do but it can be done I never thought i'd ever be able to do the things that I am doing now, but I am and I refuse to let anxiety take over my life ever again.

Anxiety doesn't control me, I control the anxiety.

The motto that I know live by.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2004, 10:17 AM   #2
    panickyjess
    (female)

panickyjess HB User
    Re: My Life with Anxiety & How I overcame It.

thank you for posting this...it makes me feel like i might be able to overcome my panic attacks as well...im glad you are doing better...thanks again

jess

Old 08-04-2004, 04:34 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I also had severe life controlling anxiety for 20 years and now am much better with the help from books and meds

I can do things now that would have terrified me, and I dont need any meds at all

those who do get better have been prepared to learn new ways of coping. some are very stubborn and refuse to learn anything, needless to say they dont recover

Old 08-04-2004, 05:52 PM   #4
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

My biggest aniexty factor is cars! I feel a total loss of control every time I get in one. Put my two kids in the car and the panic is over the top!
    I started taking Buspar last January for the first time in five years went on the highway! This was huge for me. It had been so long I didn't even know what the Speed Limit was. In the last several months taking short baby trips to say the next town I have graduated to longer trips. The "fear" is still there but I must say I am very proud of my accomplishments of going anywhere!
    After a trip I come home and say to myself "see none of the what if's happened" take a deep breath and feel a little more impowered.
    I know without medication I could not do this. I also have little support, just my husband who has been a God Send putting up with me for 12 years.
    I think once we cross over to the other side of our fear and realize it wasn't as bad as we thought we can start to see the light.
    I just keep telling myself little baby steps,

Old 08-04-2004, 07:34 PM   #5
    Tanki

Tanki HB User

The trick to conquering anxiety, is not to avoid the fears. You can feel like you are just going to keel over and die because you cannot breathe, your chest is tight and then you avoid the situation because you fear that everytime you are there you will have the same symptoms. Alot of it is mind over matter, which goes into postive self talk. I couldn't leave my house, not even like I said in my original post to a good friends place that was a 1 minute walk from my place.

Bell99 It's is good that you are getting out and driving even if it's only short trips, at least you are not avoiding it all together, good for you.

Over coming anxiety does not happen over night. For me self help books helped, as well as seeing my psychiatrist that i've been seeing for about 8 years now. Since the age of 16 and i'm 24 now. Long time.

Just recently I got rid of my PTSD after 8 years of having it, and my Depression lifted, now anxiety is acting up again, there is always something. I can never feel 100% fantastic!

But i'm ok with that, take baby steps, don't let yourself get too over whelmed but don't avoid.

Takes time and alot of paitents.

Closed Thread