It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Lexapro: very very bad reaction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
    Dobby12

Dobby12 HB User
    Lexapro: very very bad reaction

I had a very bad reaction to Lexapro. I only took two doses... I should have known better after the first one made me feel very strange... it added to my derealization/depersonalization and gave me a general feeling a unwellness. The only thing I can compare it to is coming down from an acid trip, if anyone can relate. But, this morning however, after I took my second pill last night and as I was laying down trying to sleep, my skin started burning so bad. It felt like nothing I've ever felt before. The severity of this feeling is not something I can describe in words. Almost like a panic attack in my skin... in fact, the whole thing felt like a panic attack without really all the panic. It was the most unnatural feeling I've ever had in my life. Has anyone else had similar problems like this? I noticed a couple people mentioning the skin burning, but they seem to have been able to deal with it because they said they kept taking it. I however cannot take another one of those pills and will be talking to my doctor about the 75 dollars I paid for that poison. I've never had chemotherapy, but it made me feel along those lines as if I'd put extremely toxic chemicals in my system. To anyone that is starting Lexapro, if you feel wierd on the first day and worry that it might not just be some "mild side effect," you should seriously stop taking it because you do not want to experience what I went through. Later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
    coolmf

coolmf HB User
    Re: Lexapro: very very bad reaction

To me it sounds like anxiety about worrying about the medicine. After one tablet of lexapro it doesn't do enough to your body yet to get side-effects. I bet a hundred bucks you read all the side-effects it could possibly cause before you started taking it didn't you. Before you jump to conclusions give it time to work and the opening side-effects to calm down. Of course mention to your doctor how you felt but to me it sounds like anxiety of taking a new medicine. Hang in there.

Old 08-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
    Dobby12

Dobby12 HB User

Yeah, well you assume way too much. It was not a reaction to anxiety over a new med... I legitimately felt very very wrong... I could and still do feel chemicals in my system that weren't there before even in my worst panic modes.... I know what anxiety feels like... that's bull s h i t what you said about it not being in my system yet. You have no idea what you're talking about. If you had felt like I did this morning you wouldn't presume to say things like that to people. I bet you a hundred bucks that you think you know everything. Not to be rude but I don't appreciate you judging me when you have no idea what I'm feeling. I'm not exaggerating or being a hypochondriac... that "medicine" made me feel like I'd been poisoned. I'm still looking foward to some actual responses that aren't critical or judgmental.

Last edited by Dobby12; 08-14-2004 at 10:19 PM.

Old 08-15-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Dobby,

I'm not a Doctor but, it is possible that you are allergic to the medication.
    I had terrible allergic reactions to two different SSRI's.
    At first I thought that it might have been a side effect of the medication, but I didn't take another one and called my Doctor and told him what was happening, he said it was an allergic reaction and to stop taking the medication.
    If I were you I'd call my Doctor or if you can't get through to him/her call a pharmacey and ask their opinion.
    IMO...it's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 08-15-2004, 07:10 AM   #5
    crabbyroad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

crabbyroad HB User

Dobby,

I had the same reaction to Paxil after taking my first dose, it was in my chest a very warm sensation, like you describe, as if a chemo treatment was being IV'd into my chest. I hadnt read up on any side effects, as my pyschiatrist prescribed it, and it was the feeling of one other panic attack I had. I was different. I called him immediately, he had me on the phone, as I was crouched in a ball, doing breathing, asking my husband to check my fingers for blue fingertips, seeing if I was having an allergic reaction to it. It finally dissipated for that day, but I would get the feelings again until a week later, my doctor kept telling me, it was a sign that it "was working". I have later found out, that alot of the SSRI's seem to aggravate panic worse in the beginning, even changing the nature of panic to different symptoms, more jitterness too. I did stay on the medicine for 3 years and came off it myself. But you are right, it does cause this weird sensation, indescrible to ones who have never felt it before. But still call your doctor, any side effects should be reported, after that first dose, he cut it down, perhaps had me at too high a starting dose? And up'd my benzo at the same time while on it.

Old 08-15-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolmf
    To me it sounds like anxiety about worrying about the medicine. After one tablet of lexapro it doesn't do enough to your body yet to get side-effects. I bet a hundred bucks you read all the side-effects it could possibly cause before you started taking it didn't you. Before you jump to conclusions give it time to work and the opening side-effects to calm down. Of course mention to your doctor how you felt but to me it sounds like anxiety of taking a new medicine. Hang in there.

I totally agree with you here.

Old 08-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

since these antidepressant meds are handed out like candy its well to be reminded of how bad the early reaction can be to them

I know of several extreme reactions to the first pill, involving ambulances, hospital emergency depts, etc.

mostly the doc who prescribed it never gets to hear about it as the patient never returns to that doc..... also tells all their friends to stay away too

Old 08-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
    coolmf

coolmf HB User

No I don't think I know everything but I did go to medical school and work as a pharmacist some. Undoubtly your pretty new to the panic disorder world. Burning of the skin is a very common symptom of anxiety and panic. And don't sit there and tell me you know anxiety because as soon as you think you've had every symptom you possibly could a new one hits you. I've been having them 15 yrs with only about 5 yrs of comfort during that period from prozac and I still get new symptoms. So if you don't want to hear opinions good or bad don't post a question on this board. Oh and watch your language kids read this stuff.

Last edited by coolmf; 08-16-2004 at 06:51 PM.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:37 AM   #9
    Phil77777

Phil77777 HB User

Give the guy a break.......he just going thru hell...like we all do.

Could be anxiety new sympton or a side effect its really hard to tell...speak to your Doc to see if that is a reported side effect.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:25 AM   #10
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

I had a terrible reaction to my very first Lexapro. Of course my doctor thought I was nuts. I had never, ever before had any kind of burning sensation associated with my panic and anxiety. I had actually went to my doctor asking for an script to help with my anxiety and panic issues. I was taking xanax (.25mg 1x daily) and felt I was relying too heavily on them and wanted something that would help long term. I wanted Zoloft, but he gave me Lexapro.

My experience went something like this. I took my first Lexapro at 10:30am while at work (immediately after filling the script). I went to lunch with a friend at 1:00 and remember my legs (from my knee to my feet) feeling kind of weird. I took a xanax so I just wouldn't worry about it since this was new symptom. I left work at 5:00 and on my way home I had absolutely the worst panic attack of my entire life. My legs started feeling like they were covered in Icy-Hot and my arms did too. It was the most insane feeling EVER. My skin was both burning up but icy cold at the exact same time and it was spreading. At this point I took another xanax (I had never taken more than .25 in one day before and this was my 2nd) It felt like the burning started in my extremities and was slowly moving inward. I called my husband because I was driving (had never had a panic attack driving before) and pulled over on the side of the road. About that time, the burning/cold sensations all seemed to meet in my chest and kind of explode... it was almost like my skin had an orgasm right in my chest. In all honesty, it was an interesting feeling if I hadn't been scared witless. I jumped out of my car and my andrenaline was pumping like mad so I kind of ran for a little bit in order to get the adrenaline out. I bet people thought I was nutso!

I settled back down and the burning subsided somewhat, but I was still terrified. I had already taken 2 xanax and I still felt on the verge of another panic attack. I ended up taking 2 more xanax that night in order to get to sleep. My doctor didn't belive me and I think I took one or two more Lexapro, but I was gobbling up the xanax in order to make it through the days. He gave me 20 and I was through with those by my last dose of Lexapro. I never had as strong as a reaction as I did to the first one, but anytime I started feeling a little panicky, that Icy-Hot feeling would come over me and freak me out.

I have no idea why I reacted that way. My doctor ended up telling me that I wasn't allergic, but my body had an intolerance to the med. He switched me to Zoloft and I was absolutely terrified to take it, but eventually did. I never had a reaction to it the way I did to the Lexapro. I've never had the burning sensation again related to my panic or anxiety -- however it did take about 4 days after stopping the Lexapro for the burning to cease completely. My own, personal theory about the burning is that maybe the adrenaline that pumps through our body during a panic attack reacted oddly with the Lexapro. Who knows?

Sorry this got so long, but it's difficult see someone who has never experienced this feel so strongly that these sensations are all in Dobby's head. Sure panic and anxiety can do a lot of things, but the only thing I did differently during the days of my icy-hot skin sensations was take a Lexapro. Called me old fashioned, but if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Last edited by zekat; 08-17-2004 at 08:28 AM.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:54 PM   #11
    tomcat1658

tomcat1658 HB User

Well darn, i have a new rx sitting on my dresser of lexapro. I was going to take it tomorrow if i felt brave enough. Im a medaphobic to hehe. Darn!!! I was going to break the 10mg dose into 4 pieces and start off with that though..........im on the wrong post for encouragement but i could sure use it at the moment. Lex was going to be the first ssri i have got back on in over 2 years, as the anxiety has me just about housbound, i was hopeing it would be my savoir..now im affraid of it even more

Old 08-17-2004, 08:12 PM   #12
    bulletinboard25
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

don't be scared to take it... they took it and.... they're posting here... a very good indicator, they're still alive.... i took it and was fine w/ it.. as are many others w/ this med.... i did change meds b/c i wanted something better for my stomach condition that i go through.. but as far as the "burning sensation" i experienced nothing like that.... and actuallyf elt completley "normal" on it..... but don't let someones elses bad experience ruin it.. they don't know if it was a bad reaction or an anxiety attack, until they were at the hospital and could get guaged by a health professional i would advise you to follow your doctors advice..... not everyone reacts the same way to every medicine....

Old 08-18-2004, 06:43 AM   #13
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

tomcat

Absolutely take the Lexapro! Many people find much relief with it. For every one bad experience there are thousands of people who had good experiences. It's the same with every single SSRI. Some people just can't tolerate certain SSRI's. I actually believe that Lexapro is supposed to have fewer side effects than most other SSRI's which is why doctors are prescribing it more. For me, Zoloft was the answer, but I've read other people have bad experiences with it.

Closed Thread