It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Is Xanax good for.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2004, 02:39 AM   #1
    Phil77777

Phil77777 HB User
    Is Xanax good for.....

Generalised anxiety disorder?...I am waiting to go on these.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2004, 04:20 AM   #2
    Madj
    (female)

Madj HB User
    Re: Is Xanax good for.....

I don't know if they are, but I was taking Xanax for panic attacks (not anymore). If I was you I would try everything else apart from pills. They won't cure you and I know that for a fact. They might make you feel better, but it will never solve your problem. I would suggest that you go and see a therapist if you haven't.

Good luck to you,

Madj

Old 08-17-2004, 05:11 AM   #3
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

I was DX'd with panic disorder...not just panic attacks, or GAD...not any one thing..I had it all.
    I took Xanax and they did help me.
    I tired SSRI's, SNRI's and different benzo, therapy including CBT and none of it worked for me....this doesn't mean it won't work for you...remember what works for one doesn't work for all.
    Xanax was the only thing that worked for me, it gave me the ability to deal with my panic and anxiety...just with my life actually...until I was able to get a handle on things.
    Once I did weaned off of the Xanax.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:37 AM   #4
    GrizzlyMike

GrizzlyMike HB User

I don't think your doctor would prescribe it for generalized anxiety as that is a long term maintenance treatment and xanax can be highly addictive. Xanax is prescribed more for accute panic and anxiety attacks. It also has a very short life and wears off rather quickly. When I was on it I found it helped when I had a panic attacks but it really wasn't good for the 'all-day' type anxiety as its effects just wear off too quickly. You would have to take it like 3-4 times a day for general anxiety and doing that you would probably get addicted after a month or so. From what I read Xanax is notorius for addiction problems with long term use and has some real nasty withdrawl symptoms. I dont think any doctor would prescribe it for long term use for general anxiety.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:40 AM   #5
    Phil77777

Phil77777 HB User

Hi i have got serious anxiety problems and yes this is a last resort...nothing else and i MEAN nothing else works....except alcohol but that just ruins you the next day..xanax has got to be the next option.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:53 AM   #6
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

take the xanax. just remember they are highly addictive for some people. never take a higher dose than you need and never take it if you don't need it. If you're having a good day or a good week, just don't take the xanax.

Nothing worked for me like xanax did. I took it on an as needed basis for a couple of months last year. I still carry one around with me at all times and have probably taken one a month since March. Back in December of last year I was taking one a day and I got real scared about getting addicted so I would really fight with myself and make myself NOT take it some days.

I agree with the other poster that xanax alone will not fix your problems, only mask them. When you start taking xanax, you really need to also work hard on relaxing techniques and/or therapy. However, I believe it's ridiculous to live completely anxiety ridden or panicky knowing there is a drug that can make it better. Xanax was a life saver for me... it kept me in my marriage, my job and my sanity. It also helped me realize that it all really was just stress and anxiety. The true rule of thumb is to never take more than you need and never take it if you don't need it and at the same time work on other ways of relieving your anxiety (be it therapy, books, relaxing techniques or SSRI's)

Good luck

Old 08-17-2004, 10:34 AM   #7
    GrizzlyMike

GrizzlyMike HB User

...In my prior post I didnt mean to suggest it shouldnt be taken if the doctor prescribed it or everyone gets addicted. I was on it for a while and it worked but like others suggest dont rely on it as the only way to deal with your anxiety or you will probably end up in a situation where once they take you off of it you may find yourself unable to cope. Xanax isnt something you will be taking for years and you really do need to work on other methods of dealing with the anxiety because sooner or later the doctor is going to ween you off of it. Xanax is the most potent drug in the Benzo lineup and my doctor told me they rarely if ever use it for long term anxiety maintenance accept in severe cases. After 4 months he would not give me another refill. I am kind of glad because I really was starting to fall into the pattern of running to the xanax at the first sign of panic/anxiety and was not using the skills I picked up in counseling and group therapy as the primary tool. For me the xanax just helped the acute anxiety while I was finding ways to deal with it through therapy etc. It did help. On the other hand some people can probably get too reliant on it and ignore the other ways of learning to cope and these are the folks most likely to become addicted and find themselves in a much worse situation. Xanax can make you feel a little bit 'too good' and it can be easy to rely on it exclusively and it becomes your security blanket. Coming off of it is not easy either as after 4 months the doctor weened me off slowly from 2 doses a day to 1 then splitting the dose in half and it did make me nervous and jittery at first. Since then I have been put on Klonpin and take it now and then. It is less potent than Xanax but it lasts longer. My doctor says he has a rule where he refuses to keep people on Xanax longer than 4 months accept in real severe cases.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:52 AM   #8
    KShortie

KShortie HB User
    Cool Re: Is Xanax good for.....

Xanax is the drug of choice for generalized anxiety and panic disorder. I have been on Xanax for many years. I take it three times a day. I also take Zoloft 25 mg. along with it. It is the only thing that has worked consistently for me. I take 0.5 mg. three times a day. I took 0.25 mg. three times a day for over ten years.

Some people will tell you that you don't need drugs. Well behavior therapy can help you also, I had that also. But, for some of us the chemical imbalance in our brains cause the GAD and panic and the drugs replace these. If they work for you take them. You are not taking the Xanax to get high--it doesn't make you feel that way anyway. It just makes you feel normal. You will worry less and be able to enjoy life.

Take care and good luck to you.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:45 PM   #9
    housemum
    (female)

housemum HB User

GrizzlyMike, I think that is a good assessment.

I've been on and off xanax since l986, never got dependant on it until about 4 years ago.....when I went through a VERY hard time with Panic. Last fall I weaned off of .1 mil in 3 months. Then my oldest son died and the panic came back big time. I have a large family and I had to cope and couldn't with all the panic. Anyways i'm back on now at .5 a day. I HATE the breakthrough symptoms....and I know I am slightly dependent on the drug now. My body is use to having it regularly. Since I went off once, I'll know I'll be able to again, but I'm waiting until i am stronger and over my grief more.

How is Klonpin? Do you just take it once a day and it has the same effect as xanax. I would love to switch over then try to wean from a longer half life type drug.

The xanax has worked well for me, but yes sooner or later one much learn to cope without it. I've had therapy, relaxation training and tried many other things to deal with the panic.

But I do think it is wise to always warn the patient about the addictive property of Benzo's. back in l986 no one said anything to me, but thankfully I didn't become dependant until a few years ago when I started taking them every day.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:32 PM   #10
    Aidansmaid

Aidansmaid HB User

I agree that the doctors seem to be very uneasy about giving Xanax and Ativan to people with long term problems, because they are so addictive. I'm on Ativan and I was unable to get my dose one day and I swear, I was a mess...I never knew that it would work like that on me and so I'm looking to get away from the Ativan and certainly won't invite Xanax in as a replacement.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:19 PM   #11
    housemum
    (female)

housemum HB User

You know I've hear that Valium or Klonpin are easier to taper from because of their half-life. Its a lot longer and you take it only once a day and taper from there. The Ashton Manual talks of this. xanax is one of the hardest to come off of I've been told.

It can be done though and just takes alot of patience and will-power.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:23 AM   #12
    GrizzlyMike

GrizzlyMike HB User

housemum....

Per your earlier questionI have been on Klonopin for about 2 months now.
    I would break it down like this: Xanax made me more relaxed and calm than Klonopin but the effects from Klonopin lasted a lot longer. As far as side effects go Klonopin made me feel more sleepy than Xanax(everyone differs though) and I didn't have the brain fog or spaced out feeling that I often got while on Xanax. For me Klonopin is a toned down version of xanax that lasts longer.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:24 AM   #13
    GrizzlyMike

GrizzlyMike HB User

.....p.s.

I dont take Klonopin daily..only when the anxiety gets really out of control and on those days its usually twice a day.

Old 08-18-2004, 07:57 PM   #14
    pinkjen

pinkjen HB User

YES! in my opinion it IS very good, ive been on it for awhile now for my panic attacks, and it does help to control them if you feel one coming on, although it is only temporary help, it does help for the time bein, to cool you down, ect.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:15 PM   #15
    dom peri

dom peri HB User

after you take 1 xanax, for how long will you feel normal

Closed Thread