It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Valium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2004, 07:39 AM   #1
    Fred1976

Fred1976 HB User
    Valium

Hello. I was feling nrvous yesterday an took 2mg of Valium. I only tke one a week if that. About an hour and a half later, I had a panic attack. Shouldn't the Valium have helped? I felt calm for about an hour. Think I should have taken more during attack? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Valium

to fred
    2mg is only a small dose, try 5. yes more during would have helped, disolved under the tongue gets it working fastest

Old 08-22-2004, 01:24 PM   #3
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Like hry said, 2mg is a very small dose. I usually take 5mg and sometimes up to 10mg if I'm feeling really anxious. My Dr. started me out on the 2mg dose over a year ago and it had no effect on me. I'd talk to your Dr. about going up to 5mg.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:22 AM   #4
    Fred1976

Fred1976 HB User

Thanks everyone. I will see if I can get a higher dosage for Valium or maybe try Xanax. Is it possible to take a small amount of Xanax everyday to stay calm, or will it keep taking more and more to do the same thing. Also, anyone every get a cold take a cold pill and feel much less anxious? Thanks!

Old 08-23-2004, 07:32 AM   #5
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fred1976
    Thanks everyone. I will see if I can get a higher dosage for Valium or maybe try Xanax. Is it possible to take a small amount of Xanax everyday to stay calm, or will it keep taking more and more to do the same thing. Also, anyone every get a cold take a cold pill and feel much less anxious? Thanks!
    Hi Fred,

I took a small dose of Xanax everyday for years and I never needed to take more, but not everyone is the same...some people do become dependent on or tolorant to it in a very short time...so actually nobody can answer that question for you with 100% accuracy.
    Some people take Kolonopin because they say it lasts longer...I took the smallest dose possible and felt like a zombie...but like I said everyone is different.
    My best advice would be to talk to your Doctor.

As for the cold medication...it does just the opposite thing to me...it makes me hyper.

Old 08-23-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi Fred,
    2mg is only a small dose for most people and yes another tablet disolved under the tongue would have helped a lot with the panic attack

remember with a panic attack, accept it, dont pretend it isnt happening and dont tense up or fight back, breathe deep and slow and wait for it to pass

carry a few valium tablets with you when out, very reassuring to know you have them

remember valium tablets are spoiled by storage in any hot place, especially a car glovebox or close to a heater

Old 08-24-2004, 06:02 AM   #7
    Fred1976

Fred1976 HB User

Thanks. I think I'm going to ask for Xanax when I see my DR next. The Valium works for a little bit but wears off quickly. I try not to take them if possible, but sometimes I have no choice.

Old 08-24-2004, 06:34 AM   #8
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

actually, xanax wears off quicker than Valium, but hits you faster. I agree with the others that you need to take a higher dose of the Valium when your having a panic attack. .5mg of xanax is equivalant to 10mg of Valium (stick with me on my long math process here ) so .25 mg of xanax (the smallest dose of xanax) is = to 5mg of Valium. When I was having bad panic attacks, I took .25 xanax and every once in a while would have to take .5. Bottom line, don't be afraid to take the 5mg of Valium next time you have an attack. It's better to take enough to get relief than it is to stay in some funny limbo land.

Closed Thread