It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• scared about switching antidepressants

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2004, 05:38 PM   #1
    fatcatdogbog
    (female)

fatcatdogbog HB User
    scared about switching antidepressants

i have been on paxil for about 3 1/2 years for panic disorder. it has worked so well as i was almost homebound about 4 years ago, so i have been very grateful to have a med that helped. the side effects, however, have been horrible,but i needed it so bad i have been afraid to switch to anything else. the main side effects have been mild weight gain, major sexual side effects and fatigue. is it difficult to transition to something else, how do you do it and has anybody found something else really good for panic disorder that doesnt have all those s/e? i am just so scared of something else not working, but yet i have to believe there could be a better combination.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 11:03 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: scared about switching antidepressants

I do hope you are also learning CBT and relaxation and not just relying on the paxil

IMO it would be safer to experiment by altering the paxil dose

its said by some that adding another antidepressant helps to reduce the side effects you mention, wellbutrin is promoted but it may just be hype

buspar is hyped as an add on to make antidepressantws work better but again this is doubtful

since paxil is just one of many prozac type meds with nothing really special about it, IMO, one approach may be to take another such as generic prozac also and very gradually swap from paxil to prozac, in the hope it may suit you more

basicly nothing can be predicted so you will have to experiment, fatigue may be reduced by taking it before bed

all the above being subject to docs OK, of course

Closed Thread