It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Will an Anti Depressant really stop my panic attacks?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
    Walty10
    (male)

Walty10 HB User
    Will an Anti Depressant really stop my panic attacks?

Hi there,

Im a 17 year old male who has developed panic attacks and probably a bit of generalized anxiety. It all came about from a vertigo vestibular problem i had/have. When I have a panic attack it is very severe and dehibilitating. Ive heard that some people can just go to a bathroom and have them and be done in 5 minutes... not so with me. I get the biggest lightheaded feeling and am sure I am going to pass out or die when I have one. My arms and legs go tingley and numb and last time I had one my lips also went numb and I couldnt talk right for awhile. I had it at the ER so I asked if I was having a seizure but they didnt thinks so. Anyways I cant go anywhere because I just get so scared about having a panic attack and that just really frustrates me. Im a really social guy and this is my last year of high school and I dont want to miss anything but i find myself staying home all the time while my friends are out. Ive been on Lorazapam for "just in case" situations but ive been using it regularily which is something u shouldnt do for along time due to possible physical addiction. So ive started on Lexapro. Will this really do the trick? I mean how effective will it really be? Ive been on it for maybe a week and a half now and I dont notice a huge difference. Any info on how Lexapro or a different SSRI has helped them or not helped them with their panic attacks would be great.

Im just so frusterated. Is there anything else I can do? Ive read Claire Weeks book and several others. They may be a bit helpful but they arent going to prevent me from having a panic attack. I just want to return to normal and be able to do whatever I want to do without worrying about this dreadful feeling.

Thank You,
    Walty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
    Beaster7

Beaster7 HB User
    Re: Will an Anti Depressant really stop my panic attacks?

Hey Walty-

I don't have personal experience with Lexapro, but I do know that most SSRIs take awhile to build up in your system if you're just starting. So hang tough for a bit, maybe someone taking Lexapro could give you better information. With regards to Claire Weekes' books...i beg to differ with you. They will prevent you from having panic attacks and are an excellent source for the long term. Remember, anxiety is a feeling...nothing more.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:20 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

the lexapro may well work but it can take 6 weeks to start working properly

lorazepam goes well with lexapro

Old 09-27-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User

Yep, antidepressants sure can get rid of them. I had not only constant panic attacks, but also severe derealization as one of my main symptoms. It was 24/7, I couldn't sleep, couldn't do much of anything really except sit at home which is probably about the worst thing because you're alone with your thoughts. I was on lorazepam (ativan) for awhile which helped but didn't totally get rid of it, and also it's hard to take a sedative all the time I went on effexor a few months ago and I feel great. I'm nearly 100% if not totally 100%, I've been gradually upping the dosage and I'm at 150mg right now. I am lucky as I have had very minor side effects like sweating, some drowsiness (cured with a short nap) and a headache or two, but nothing even CLOSE to bad enough to stop taking it. Also, the side effects go away after a couple weeks on a certain dosage. It's been a lifesaver for me, and I hope it can be for you too. Don't read too much about how awful these drugs are for some people, if they were that awful for everyone, they wouldn't exist.

Jeff

Old 09-27-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
    KindaMessedUp

KindaMessedUp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffster
    Don't read too much about how awful these drugs are for some people, if they were that awful for everyone, they wouldn't exist.
    I really believe that, too. I think that with most things, you only hear from them after a negative experience. It's like eating at a restaraunt. If it's a great meal, and you had a wonderful experience, you just go on your way. If it's a negative experience, you're gonna voice it. I think it's the same with the meds. They gotta be helping somebody

Closed Thread