It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• My constant chest pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2004, 12:57 PM   #1
    andrea4013
    (female)

andrea4013 HB User
    Unhappy My constant chest pain

I was diagnosed with panic attacks/disorder in June. My main symptom then was feeling as though I was having a heart attack & fearing that I would when I was not having an attack. When I finally decided to go to the doctor after a very bad night of constant panic attacks he decided to do a 24 hr holter monitor & an echocardiogram to rule out anything being wrong with my heart. They said both tests came back fine & diagnosed it as panic & gave me zoloft. I don't have as many attacks now, but there is something that has been going on through this whole ordeal that is really scaring me & I hope there is someone out there who can relate & reassure me that this is nothing serious. I seem to have constant chest pain. Sometimes it is in the center & sometimes it is to the far left below my breast. I will also get it sometimes on the right side, but not constant like my left side. Sometimes I feel a sharp pain, but for the most part it is just kind of an ache. I am so scared that I am going to have a heart attack even after the doctors have said there is nothing wrong with my heart. I am 21 and in good shape. I just can't get the thought out of my mind that the doctors missed something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2004, 01:06 PM   #2
    PPPM

PPPM HB User
    Re: My constant chest pain

Have your doctors look into GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disorder). Often times gastroesophageal problems mimic heart pain, or at least the pain is in the same vicinity as the heart, and everyone asumes is a heart attack in the making.

There are some things you can do for GERD ( medicine, some surgical options) but mainly you have to learn to live with it. Once you relaize it is what it is, the anxiety from the chest pain disipates.

Good Luck

John

Old 09-25-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
    Ladybandit08
    (female)

Ladybandit08 HB User

Hi , I also get chest pains constantly. i went to the ER about 3 or 4 times last yr, and seen two doctors, they didnt seem to take it too seriously, did EKGs, xrays, blood word, said im fine, im 24, non-smoker, ect..i still worry constantly about it and i get pains right in the center, sometimes under my left breast bone, and ont he right, they are like sharp pains, then sometimes just dull aches, plus my back hurts a lot. So you arent alone! My chest pains are all i think about, My advice would be just to trust your doctors, and get look into pulled muscels , pinched nerves, the GERD...try to relax and take good care of yourself!
    Good Luck

Old 09-27-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
    lannen

lannen HB User

God, I feel like I have found my twin. I have the exact same problem. I have been diagnosed with mild GERD & Anxiety, but the Rx drugs they prescribed didn't do anything. I don't feel anxious as much but I still have the constant chest pain. My next move will be to try a chiropractor to see if it's a muscle issue or something. My regular Dr's just act like it's no big deal.
    It's so frustrating and scary. I cannot imagine just accepting this for the rest of my life.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
    andrea4013
    (female)

andrea4013 HB User

I know what you mean. I bet if it was their chest that was always hurting they would try to find an answer. The only thing that I can guess that is causing mine is muscular. Obviously I haven't had a heart attack or anything yet so mayby that's all it is. It is just such a scary feeling. Where exactly is the location of your pain?

Old 09-27-2004, 12:15 PM   #6
    mattiza

mattiza HB User

I also have Panic attacks. I am taking Lexapro and a Benzo everyday.
    I have been short of breath and have had chest tightness now for about 9 months. I have had two stress tests, an EBT scan of my heart, echo cardiogram and was told everything looked good. I saw another cardiologist the first of this month and he wanted to do a cardiolite stress test. This test showed that my heart was not getting enough blood flow under the stress part of the test, so know I have to get an angiogram next week. I think maybe I have finnaly found my problem to all of my shorteness of breath.
    And all my other doctors told me it was in my head. Hopefully I will finnaly get to the bottom of all of this I have been through latley.

Van

Old 10-03-2004, 10:06 PM   #7
    Sandy373
    (female)

Sandy373 HB User

I too have been having chest pains in the cartlidge area but have had so many symptoms with hypothyroid, I haven't said much about it until lately. I saw a cardiologist and they found an abnormal artery in my neck that was damaged by radiation I had 13 yrs ago. They only found it when they checked the blood pressure in each arm and found it to be very different. I'm going in for a stent next week. I know alot of people with thyroid problems have symptoms of chest pains, anxiety attacks and flutters. Has your doctor checked your hormone levels? Good luck with finding out what's going on.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:46 PM   #8
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hi Andrea

I just wanted to give you a few more things to look into. It does sound like it could be the stomach. Maybe Gerd or even an ulcer. I have both and when they act up, I feel the stabbing feeling in my stomach and mostly on my left side. I don't know why it does that on the left side, but that's where I feel pain too. My doctor told me before he found my ulcer that if the pain wakes me up at night, that it is probably an ulcer. He was right. I did the scope a few years ago and an ulcer was found. He out me on Prevacid and it relieved all of the pain. What medication are you on if you don't mind me asking?

Chantel

Old 10-05-2004, 12:51 PM   #9
    andrea4013
    (female)

andrea4013 HB User

I am not on any medication right now as I am pregnant. I really wanted to try to go through the pregnancy without medication. I have looked into all of the stomach problems that could be causing the symptoms that I am having & none of the symptoms really match up. The more I think about it the more I feel that it might be muscular. I mean, if it were my heart wouldn't something have happened by now seeing as how I have had this pain for months. I am really thinking about trying some relaxation exercised & see if I can tell a difference.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:14 PM   #10
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hi again Andrea

I have a pulled muscle in my chest and sometimes it feels like it is my heart. It is on the top part of my chest on the left side. I asked my doctor if he thought it could be my heart and he told me if the pain is constant that it most likely would be just a pulled muscle. Try a heating pad and see if the pain eases a little. I would tell you to go to the doctor, but you said you've already went. I don't think you have anything to worry about if they put a heart monitor on you already. I also had this done when I was in the hospital.

I know you want to be medication free since you are pregnant, but I think there is an ssri that you can take while you are pregnant that is considered safe. I'm not sure which it is. Your doctor would be able to tell you. I know I've read on these boards about others that are pregnant and still take meds.

If you still don't want to do meds, there is a good book out there called, "Been there, done that, do this!" It is a really positive book and it helps you work through negative thoughts. Relaxation exercises sound good too Good luck hun.

Chantel

Old 10-29-2004, 08:06 PM   #11
    468LC

468LC HB User

I'll be the triplett to these symptoms as they fit me to a T.

Still have not figured it out after almost 3 months.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:19 PM   #12
    jpe311

jpe311 HB User

First off I'd first like to say I feel your same pain and congratulate you on your persistence to locate the source of the pain.
    I am a 26 yr Civil Engineer. I have been experiencing constant chest pain for 4 months now (July 04). The pain appeared out of the blue one day and has persisted since. I do not feel depressed or anxious; however BECAUSE of the PAIN have tremendous fear/anxiety over it. My pain goes anywhere from a 1 to a 6 (1-10 scale, 10 being severe) but the pain is for the most part is constant 2-3. I honestly canít tell if the pain is inside or outside of my chest cavity. The chest pain is mostly in my left pectoral that SEEMS to start from my sternum and radiate to my armpit. I'd say most of the pain is in my left armpit pec region. And sometimes on the right but not constant. I have gone to the emergency room twice, had 4 EKG's, a stress echocardiogram, X-rays on the chest, and blood work done and all of the tests came out negative for heart problems. I've gone to 4 different doctors and ALL tell me I have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). I was on Prozac for 2.5 months with no relief, my new doctor which I believe supports me switched me to Lexapro. Every other doctor blew me off, told me it wasnt a big deal, and gave me an anti-depressant prescription. The Lexapro has decreased my anxiety (panic attacks) but I still have this chest pain.

I am to my wits end with this pain. Sometimes I feel like maybe the doctors are right, and it really is in my head. And other times I worry that maybe their missing something and that there is something wrong with my heart. Tomorrow I am going to go to a chiropractor and see if this will alleviate the pain. I am told that it will take a few times going to correct the alignment in the back to stop the chest pain.

I'd would love to hear everyoneís story and if anything they have done has alleviated the pain. I think all of us would feel better with some success stories.

Last edited by jpe311; 11-04-2004 at 08:27 PM.

Old 11-05-2004, 07:55 PM   #13
    468LC

468LC HB User

I'm right there with ya jpe. Same exact problems. This all started for me when a doc asked me to take an ekg for another problem and it came back abnormal(was nothing). I have never been the same since.

It blows me away how we all have this common thing of the left pec and armpit pain with occasional right side pain.

There has to be a common cause for this.

I have always had bouts of depression and anxiety but since this heart thing came about I have been a different person for the worse.

I have had every test done in the books and no heart problems but the chest pain persists. I still wonder if it is med or gastro related?

Old 11-05-2004, 10:27 PM   #14
    jpe311

jpe311 HB User

468LC I went ahead and read some of your other posts and seems like me and you have the exact same symptoms.
    I have been thinking lately of getting a heart MRI, is this what you had? My wife tells me it is a waste of time and money, because there is nothing wrong with me. But the pain wont go away. Did the MRI pin point anything?
    I dont think these pains have to do with meds, I started getting the pains without being on any medication. I was an above average physically fit 26 yr old and never had a real health issue before this. I dont have any family history of heart disease. I have had small bouts of depression nothing serious and have always had anxious like behavior.
    When my chest hearts really bad I often have diaherra like poop. Maybe it does have to do with the stomach, I really dont know. What do your doctors tell you about your chest pains? My doctor(s) blow me off and tell me its anxiety............GRRRRR
    I'd like to hear more about your condition 468LC or anyone else with the same symptoms.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:05 AM   #15
    468LC

468LC HB User

No I did not get chest MRI and I don't think I will. I have only had about eleventy billion ekgs an Echo and a 24hr halter monitor plus chest X rays. I beleive there is nothing wrong with my heart or I would have conked out already lol.

All of my tests have come back normal. My family doc is of not much help to this problem. I am going to push the issue with gastro problems when I go back to him next week. I really think for me a lot of the gastro problems came about when I started taking Xanax and Xanax XR.

As far as the chest pains yeah my doc says it's just attributed to the anxiety. I can trigger the chest pains three ways, one, getting worked up over something(mad or angery), I can scare myself into getting them through anxious negative thinking, and I can also get them from gut problems.

Time will tell I guess. Just stay positive.

Closed Thread