It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• using remeron to taper off klonopin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
    dturner242
    (female)

dturner242 HB User
    using remeron to taper off klonopin?

i am currenty on klonopin 1mg 2x's/day and remeron 15mg per day at night for about four months now due to a severe panic "state" after several compounded panic attacks that landed me in the hospital for a couple days. my psychiatrist wants me to increase my remeron to 30mg/day at night for two weeks before starting to taper off the klonopin. has anyone ever tried this and is it effective? will it help the withdrawal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 09:52 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: using remeron to taper off klonopin?

remeron is an antidepressant and these meds can help a lot by reducing or stopping yopur panic attacks and also reducing your anxiety, however theres about a 30% chance that 1 of them will never work for a person, psychs dont like to admit this because it makes them look a bit silly

after your time at your dose it should be working, if so you will know it , you will be much calmer, if not I would ask him to swap you onto another antidepressant and keep up the klonapin gor now

otherwisw you couldd up the remeron for say 2 weeks to see if the higher dose makes it cut in and work properly

if you arent sure whether the remeron is working, place yourself in a situation where you should panic, without any klonapin and see what happens, it often helps to bring on a panic attack by tensing up and doing some rapid shallow panting

if the remeron or some other antidepressant is eventually working then its OK to taper off the klonapin but keep some just in case as there can be breakthru anxiety, needing some K.
    I dont think the K withdrawls will be much of a problem, stay on the antidepressant about 6 months and learn CBT anxiety coping skills

Old 03-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
    dustin
    (male)

dustin HB User
    Re: using remeron to taper off klonopin?

hey! i dont know about remeron but i do know that the 30% figure for chance of a anti depresent helping or working at all is correct. if its not working tell your doc. of any side effects and he/she will try another and another till you hit one. if been on every ssri they have and all had bad side effects to me but im one of the rare ones it seems. ive been on klonopin for 12 + years and all i can say is try your best to tapper off now. thats a pretty high dose and the longer your on it the harder it is to get off. lets just say its a hell you want nothing to do with. heroin is easier to get off of. i wish you luck and pray you get off the klonopin (all benzodiazapines are very addictive) and the remeron works for you! i would also say try to get some kind of cognotive therapy (usually done by yourself) for the anxiety wich leads to panic attacks. drugs cover up the problem but dont deal with it. the longer you do that the more it is ingrained in your behavioral traits. drugs are a good break but i assure you that you do not have a chemical imbalance. on the contrary the panic attack is the chemical imbalance and can be fixed by simply understanding what a panic attack is and understanding what your brain / body are reacting to! yes some people are extremely more suseptable to stess and anxiety through there genetic make up but you dont drug them. you give them stress coping skills and anxiety coping skills. im no doctor just been there too long to explain and there is help and an end to anxiety/panic and its not drugs! i promise...... be well and best of luck my friend

(i was house bound by anxiety and panic for a year because it got so bad in the 11 years i fought with it and i promise you there is a way to end them. you have to be willing to do the work though. it beats anxiety / panic. be well bro............)

Last edited by dustin; 03-20-2005 at 07:37 PM.

Closed Thread