It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Side effects of Lexapro?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #1
    runDMC
    (male)

runDMC HB User
    Side effects of Lexapro?

Hello,
    It is my sixth day taking Lexapro now and I feel like I have the flu all day, especially in the morning. Also, when I take xanax to relieve my panic attacks, I feel extremely weak and tired. If you could, tell me what Lexapro makes you feel like when you take it.

Thanks,
    runDMC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Side effects of Lexapro?

tell us your doses for both meds, both may be too high

Old 05-04-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
    runDMC
    (male)

runDMC HB User

I am prescriped 10 milligrams of Lexapro and half a milligram of xanax. I do not take the xanax unless I am getting the uncontrollable feeling of anxiety. Do you take Lexapro? If you do, does it make you tired and weak most of the day. I think that it is working because I have not had any panic attacks lately and am feeling better as far as the breathing goes. However, my neck feels very tense while on this antidepressant and my general fatigue feeling keeps me from being able to go out and exercise. I still have the feeling that my anxiety attacks were caused from a medical condition and not stress because I am twenty years old and have never been an unstable person. I have just finished a semester at my college which involved taking a level three Calculus class, Chemistry 2, and a Physics class. This may have caused my anxiety attacks, but there are other factors that may have caused me to get a serious health problem. I cant wait to go back to the doctor so I can get tested for everything. I fear the most that I may have a problem getting sufficient oxygen to the brain because my level of dizziness is far greater than any other problem I have. I feel dizzy and weak most of the day now, alot like I feel when I have the flu. I was wondering if there is any one out there that takes Lexapro and has these symptoms.

Thanks,
    runDMC

Old 05-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
    tgrose
    (female)

tgrose HB User

Hey there. I had bad side effects when I first started Lexapro. But mine were not like yours. I had more anxiety, hot flashes and trouble sleeping. However, it went away after 2 weeks. I dropped down to 5 mg/day for one week, then gradually got up to 10 mg/day. I've just stopped taking it because it made me gain a lot of weight.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
    pat52
    (female)

pat52 HB User

I had many side-effects on Lexapro and quit after 5 days-doctor told me to hang in there the side-effects would go away. I was on 10mg and it made my anxiety and panic attacks worse. The fourth night I felt like I had eaten a tube of bengay-lol-worse hot flashes-heat/burning sensation coming from chest up. Then the nose-bleds and my pupils started dilating and pulsating! I said enough and quit. Ive tried others Paxil, Zoloft etc and they more or less experienced the greater anxiey / spacey feelings and light headiness.
    Others have had great results from Lex and the other meds. Some people just cant tolerate those kinds of meds. I found that the Xanax helped me alot more than the Lexapro.
    From many post-people say if you can hang in there until the side-effects go away-the medication was well worth all the "stuff" they had to go through. Unfortunately I felt so much worse and was trying to go back to work-I just couldnt continue.
    Good LucK!

Old 05-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #6
    bobafett573
    (male)

bobafett573 HB User

hey i was just looking in the mirror today and saw that my pupils were getting larger and then smaller (in small increments). is that normal? is there a sort of "throbbing" thing that goes on? anyone willing to run to their bathroom mirror real quick and see if yours do that? i just started on an anti-depressant med (lexapro) yesterday and i'm not sure if that's doing it. i've never noticed this throb before and i just want to make sure nothing is seriously wrong.

Old 05-30-2005, 06:55 AM   #7
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Lexapro was pretty much my last hope for meds as I had tried several and they gave me hives! One made my eye swell shut.
    I had terrible side effects especially the first week. I was looking for reasons to quit taking it but I rode it out and thank God I did.
    I had to start small splitting 5 mg in half and taking it twice a day. After three weeks I went up to 10.
    I have no side effects now and feel better than I have ever felt.
    I was prescribed it for Panic disorder, Agoraphobia and moderalte depression.
    I feel like I was given a whole new life
    I laugh more play with my kids and go out much, much more.
    My kids are reacting to me so much better. I use to have such a short fuse but now I am able to let things roll of my back and pick my battles instead of everything being a battle.
    One day I was in my car when a huge storm hit. Normally this would have set me off into a massive panic attack. I would pull over hyperventilate, cry etc.
    I was able to drive 3 miles in it home. This was huge for me.
    We all react differently. My Dr. said pretty much all the AD make you feel worse at first.

Last edited by Bell99; 05-30-2005 at 06:57 AM.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:21 PM   #8
    SirReal
    (male)

SirReal HB User

RunDMC, i am just like you, although a bit older. I'm 27, but all of this started right around the same time it started for you. The dizziness and lightheadedness is my number one issue. All the other things are bearable, but this is so frustrating because it affects your every second. I've had tests done including an MRI of my brain, and nothing shows up. My doctor spends a lot our time reassuring me that this can all be caused by anxiety. I would sometimes wish that I could find something physically wrong just so I would have a clear treatable problem. But I'm slowly coming to grips with the fact that the root isn't physical, even when it feels so much like it is. I'm also on Lexapro and it does cause fatigue, and for me more sweating (especially during exercise). I've only been on it a few weeks, so I'm hoping to experience a lot of the positive effects I have heard from others after the initial side effects were gone.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by runDMC
    I am prescriped 10 milligrams of Lexapro and half a milligram of xanax. I do not take the xanax unless I am getting the uncontrollable feeling of anxiety. Do you take Lexapro? If you do, does it make you tired and weak most of the day. I think that it is working because I have not had any panic attacks lately and am feeling better as far as the breathing goes. However, my neck feels very tense while on this antidepressant and my general fatigue feeling keeps me from being able to go out and exercise. I still have the feeling that my anxiety attacks were caused from a medical condition and not stress because I am twenty years old and have never been an unstable person. I have just finished a semester at my college which involved taking a level three Calculus class, Chemistry 2, and a Physics class. This may have caused my anxiety attacks, but there are other factors that may have caused me to get a serious health problem. I cant wait to go back to the doctor so I can get tested for everything. I fear the most that I may have a problem getting sufficient oxygen to the brain because my level of dizziness is far greater than any other problem I have. I feel dizzy and weak most of the day now, alot like I feel when I have the flu. I was wondering if there is any one out there that takes Lexapro and has these symptoms.

Thanks,
    runDMC
    runDdmc, I have not taken Lexapro but am considering it. I do take Xanax though, and since I only take it as needed (like you) it still makes me tired. I think the tiredness goes away if you take it regularly, but I would rather be tired than take it every day

Anyway, just some advice that helps me with that - make sure to take a multivitamin so when you are worn down you don't get sick. Also, some days when I am too tired to work out from the Xanax I force myself to at least go outside and take a 30 minute walk, i usually have more energy from getting out in the air. Also, try to go to bed earlier, because i have found that since I started taking Xanax I sleep way more deeply and longer than I used to, so I need like 9 hours of sleep. Just little things but it might help you feel better with our other side effects too.

Old 06-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
    Kitty-MayRN
    Inactive
    (female)

Kitty-MayRN HB User
    Question Re: Side effects of Lexapro?

Hi,

I'm new to this sight and I'm trying to get some control over panic attacks and agoraphobia too. I have had severe depression and am taking 450 mg Wellbutrin XL and 300mg Effexor XR.

For my anxiety/ panic attacks I've been put on .5 mg of Risperdal but I feel tired and lethargic all the time (I've been on it for one month now.) I was on Paxil before for depression/anxiety but that make me very tired too, so I stopped.

I am looking for any advice. Is xanax a better drug as far less fatigue? Any other medication that might work to help anxiety/panic attacks that I could try?

Any comments appreciated!
    Kitty-MayRN

Old 06-08-2005, 06:12 AM   #11
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

Hi today is my fourth day of being on Lexapro and it hasn't gone well. I am supposed to take 5mg a day for 2 weeks and then up it to 10mg. Last night the 10mg pill broke into several pieces when I attempted to break it in half so I just took the whole thing. Today I am extra panicy and I assume it's being caused from taking the full dose. I had to come back home from work and I am trying to calm down with the help from Xanax so I can return to work. I am also having slight headaches and I can just feel that something is different. I suffered bad headaches years ago when I took Zoloft and I hope Lexapro doesn't cause them to get as bad. However, the Zoloft side effects did pass in time so I will try hanging in there with Lexapro.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:46 PM   #12
    dwallech
    (female)

dwallech HB User

Just please be careful, as I was given samples of lexapro to give me some energy after a stroke, and was on 10mg. I kept feeling worse instead of better. Long story short, I ended up in emergency room to find out I cannot take and SSRI seratonin reuptake medications. I was better without it. I wasn't depressed in the first place, but was extremely fatigued from the stroke. Also maybe starting on a smaller dose would be something else to consider. I wish you well

Closed Thread