It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• how long til my med work!!!???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
    chupa
    (female)

chupa HB User
    Exclamation how long til my med work!!!???

can someone tell me why i dont feel any dif since i started lexapro??? i have been on it for 12 days,should i be seeing a positive difference in the way i feel yet?? i have tremendous panic/anxiety,,nonstop worry,,ocd,anger and frustration,and probably depression from all of it.please,someone tell me im not on the wrong med,and i just need to give it more time.(im on 10mg)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
    Re: how long til my med work!!!???

Hi, I'm not on lexarpo but am on Zoloft as of 5/20/05.
    I too have Panic & Anxiety disorder (IT SUX!) but anyway, I've been looking ALL OVER the message boards and have read about people's stories with Lexipro. I read that most people have more anxiety in the first 2 to 6 weeks than they had before & then the good effects slowly start kicking in. For some people it took about 3 to 4 weeks to feel good on it.. For others it took up to 2 months to feel good on it. But the people that it worked for who stuck with it for the full 2 months said they were happy as ever! Back to being social, getting out, LIVING, no more panic, etc... So, stick with it for at least 6 to 8 weeks and give it a full try. Till your meds kick in I'd ask the doc for xanax or something like that to help calm you down & relax you. I'm on my 4th day of zoloft and the 1st day I had a panic attack... I took xanax 2.5MG and it went away. I didn't feel perfect but I felt close to normal (no panic at all after the xanax). I'm going to continue taking xanax till my meds kick in.. maybe a month or 2.... I only take the xanax when I REALLY need it just to make sure not to get hooked on it. My sister took way more xanax than she needed & over time she got hooked on it. The withdrawl symptoms can cause anxiety so she's having a hard time weening off (by they way, she was not on any other meds for her panic attacks such as AD's).
    Hang in there & in no time you'll know for sure if lexipro will work for you.
    Good luck,
    T.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi chupa,
    lexapro and zoloft are both very similar, both prozac type meds
    as mentioned they take 2 to 6 weeks to work properly, if you continue to have no side effects, this suggests upping the dose a bit with docs OK, assuming you are now on a low starting dose
    xanax, if you can get any, helps until the antidepressant starts working properly

Old 05-24-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
    chupa
    (female)

chupa HB User

ok,thanx guys,im just so upset about not feeling any better yet,im even gettin depressed over this horrible anxiety,i just get so scared that it will never get better,its a huge worry for me

Old 05-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
    SirReal
    (male)

SirReal HB User

I have been taking it for about as long as you and although I am seeing a little bit of improvement, it takes a week or two to get used to the medication.

But medications like this are sometimes trial and error because they work differently for everyone. Be patient and know that this condition is treatable, you just have to find the right combination of medication and/or counseling. My doctor originally prescribed Wellbutrin to me and now I am taking both Wellbutrin and Lexapro together.

Come to these boards on the bad days and hear how there are so many of us going through the same exact thing. It helps to get some of your thoughts out on a daily basis. And believe me.....we are listening.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by t_panic411
    Hi, I'm not on lexarpo but am on Zoloft as of 5/20/05.
    I too have Panic & Anxiety disorder (IT SUX!) but anyway, I've been looking ALL OVER the message boards and have read about people's stories with Lexipro. I read that most people have more anxiety in the first 2 to 6 weeks than they had before & then the good effects slowly start kicking in. For some people it took about 3 to 4 weeks to feel good on it.. For others it took up to 2 months to feel good on it. But the people that it worked for who stuck with it for the full 2 months said they were happy as ever! Back to being social, getting out, LIVING, no more panic, etc... So, stick with it for at least 6 to 8 weeks and give it a full try. Till your meds kick in I'd ask the doc for xanax or something like that to help calm you down & relax you. I'm on my 4th day of zoloft and the 1st day I had a panic attack... I took xanax 2.5MG and it went away. I didn't feel perfect but I felt close to normal (no panic at all after the xanax). I'm going to continue taking xanax till my meds kick in.. maybe a month or 2.... I only take the xanax when I REALLY need it just to make sure not to get hooked on it. My sister took way more xanax than she needed & over time she got hooked on it. The withdrawl symptoms can cause anxiety so she's having a hard time weening off (by they way, she was not on any other meds for her panic attacks such as AD's).
    Hang in there & in no time you'll know for sure if lexipro will work for you.
    Good luck,
    T.
    Hi, it's been a while.. How are you doing on your meds now? This is my post I'm quoting above but just wanted to add that I've been on the zoloft for 20 days now. I'm up to 25mg & staying there because it's working wonders for me!!!! I no longer need xanax because I learned the correct breathing technique that made the last panic attacks I had go away in between 10 to 30 seconds!!!!
    That's amazing!!! Mine used to last 1 to 2 hours! Anyway, I haven't had any panic attacks lately & I'm feeling normal & good again thanks to my AD!!! I hope you're doing better!
    Big hugs!
    T.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #7
    moniqu1
    (female)

moniqu1 HB User

I have been on it for 6 weeks (10 mg the first 4 weeks and now 20 mg) and I sm still having anxiety and panic. I don't know if it's working for me. I cannot take zoloft and hated paxil. I'M going to stick with it a little longer, but I have to take xanax until I'm feeling better. Take care.

Old 06-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moniqu1
    I have been on it for 6 weeks (10 mg the first 4 weeks and now 20 mg) and I sm still having anxiety and panic. I don't know if it's working for me. I cannot take zoloft and hated paxil. I'M going to stick with it a little longer, but I have to take xanax until I'm feeling better. Take care.
    If it's not working for you by week 8 then for sure try something else. If you're not having any luck finding one that will work for you then you can get a DNA Drug Reaction Test done on you to find out how your body metabolizes medicines & it will let you know which meds "wont" work for you up front so, you don't have to go through trying so many & can get to what meds will work for you. Some insurance providers will pay for these DNA drug reaction tests. Just tell your doctor that you can't handle going through the trial and error with the meds anymore & that you want the test ran on you because you need a med that WILL work for YOUR particular DNA & Metabolisim. He'll order it as medically nesassary & insurance should pay for it then. If not then the cost is around $600 & you can search online for more information about the tests.
    You for sure should have felt some relief from your panic at least by now being on it for 6 weeks but anxiety can last up to 8 weeks with some of the meds.
    Take care of yourself & keep us posted on how you're doing.
    T.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #9
    moniqu1
    (female)

moniqu1 HB User

Thanks for the info. on that test. I'm really sick of having this constant anxiety. I have been taking my xanax as needed, but I wasn't expecting to have to even to that. I thought the lexapro would take care of everything. I'll hang in there another month and see what happens. Thanks again.

Closed Thread