It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• all about beta blockers, a useful med

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    all about beta blockers, a useful med

beta blockers are a class of prescription meds that are prescribed for some heart problems and also high blood pressure, there are many brands, inderal and lopressor are 2

they also are helpful for anxiety and panic attack sufferers as they slow the heart and reduce the physical problems from anxiety such as blushing, sweating, shaking, feeling of a lump in throat, etc
    however unlike valium or other benzos, they have no effect on the mental fears or problems from anxiety so beta blockers arent a substitute for valium, also beta blockers need to be carefully prescribed so as to not lower your blood pressure too far

if you have high blood pressure then beta blockers are the best meds for you as the other types of BP meds dont have the same benefits

beta blockers go well with all other anxiety meds, act quickly and can be taken only as needed, for example if worried about an upcoming speech or presentation, a tablet about 30 minutes before will help a lot.

So why dont all docs prescribe them?? mainly because docs prescribe the meds that are advertised and promoted to them..... the patents on beta blockers have all run out and generics are available, so no big profits can be made from selling them. Docs, especially the younger ones seldom think of beta blockers for anxiety so you will usually need to ask doc about adding them to your other anxiety meds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
    MissAngela
    Veteran
    (female)

MissAngela HB User
    Re: all about beta blockers, a useful med

Actually my doctor prescribed Lopressor 25 mg twice a day (once in the morning, once before bed). It has helped me! He prescribed it for my heart palpitations that I experience during panic attacks.

I highly recommend trying to get on one if you can.

-Angela

Old 06-08-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

I tried beta blockers once but I couldn't take the way they made me feel when I jogged. It felt like my heart was trying to beat faster but couldn't. This resulted in me feeling really weak and tired. I quit taking them so I did not give the blockers a chance to see if they would help with my panic palpitaions.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
    spotty
    (female)

spotty HB User

I have been using Inderal 80mgs a day for a couple of years now. It has helped with the anxiety and panic. It still comes on sometimes when Im really stressed but for the most part it has helped me. The only thing is I wish my doctor would have told me that I can take it as needed and not everyday. Now I will have to wean myself off if I want to stop taking it. Its is worth a try especially after the way Zoloft made me feel and I only tried that once.....never again.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:56 AM   #5
    eeh
    (female)

eeh HB User

I took Beta blockers for a while but as I have low blood pressure I had to come off them as they made me feel very weak and dizzy, some days I could hardly walk up a hill without feeling like I was going to pass out. And I agree with the person who said it feels like your heart wants to beat fast but can't. It is a very weird sensation. It worked for specific occaisions but not for long term use. However, this was just me and I am sure people who have normal/higher blood pressure would not be affected this badly.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:48 AM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

you may need to try several of these meds to find 1 that agrees with you

Old 07-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
    clear
    (male)

clear HB User

Are there "better" beta blockers for people with anxiety, or are they all the same? I am on atenolol 25mg, really helps my BP. It does seem to zap my energy a bit. I was on 50mg, and felt tired a lot with normal BP readings, so it was not lowering my BP too much, was just some kind of side effect.

Closed Thread