It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Continued Dizziness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
    sahaira
    (female)

sahaira HB User
    Continued Dizziness

As most of you know from my previous posts I suffer from Panic Disorder and have since the beginning of January. It all started with Dizziness that seemed to appear out of no where. After a while the dizziness got so bad that I started having panic attacks over them. I found out I was anemic and corrected that problem. In the meantime I still suffered from VERY bad panic attacks and dizziness. I started taking xanax .25 in the morning and .25 in the afternoon. The panic for the most part has gone away and the dizziness subsided a bit. I have had ENG tests, blood work ups,MRI of the brain, hearing tests, they all come up ok. In the past couple of days my dizziness has returned ( I still take the xanax) and I think it is starting to bring back the panic again. Could the dizziness be caused by panic even though I am not panicky about anything and i am not having panic attacks everyday any more? I am starting to go back to being afraid again and I do not want to be dizzy everyday again. The dizziness is more of an unbalanced feeling - every now and then though I get vertigo for a split second along with feeling like I am on a boat. I just want to be better!! I guess I am trying to figure out if the dizziness I have could still be from panic even though I am not currently suffering badly from panic or anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
    moniqu1
    (female)

moniqu1 HB User
    Re: Continued Dizziness

I am very dizzy also and have had all tests, so I attribute mine to anxiety/panic. I feel very off balance when walking. When I sit or lay, Im fine, but as soon as I walk, I get dizzy again. I'm fine when I'm calm, so I can only think that it's from the anxiety/panic. Sometimes when I'm really dizzy it immediately turns into a panic attack. It's horrible. The only thing that helps me is the xanax. Hang in there....you are not alone.

Old 06-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
    sahaira
    (female)

sahaira HB User

Thank you moniqu1

Old 06-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
    HopefulDoll
    (female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Hi Sahaira, Sorry to hear you're having a bad time.

I know what you mean about the dizziness! Do you find it hard to look directly at someone you're maybe speaking to, as if the lights are too strong and you feel like you're going to sway sideways(even when sitting down)?

Also, do you have any of the following: aching muscles,(all over) sinus trouble (headaches), slight fevers, fatigue and lots more??

If you have these symptoms maybe you have fibromyalgia like me. Dizziness is also a symptom as is anxiety and panic. I thought I was going crazy and that my body was falling apart,and I wondered how could anyone have pain EVERYWHERE! My doc diagnosed FM a few months ago and the relief was amazing-just to have a name to put on it all. And as I said to you before I'm now managing my anxiety and panic. Let me know how you are.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
    SirReal
    (male)

SirReal HB User

This can absolutely happen when you think you are not truly panicking about anything particular. I think that we are all actually panicking about this disequilibrium even when we don't realize it. I feel the exact same way....off balance mostly but very occasional a mild vertigo for a split second. It's very short but enough to freak me out. Rest assured that this is probably not something worse.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
    mona123
    (female)

mona123 HB User
    Cool Re: Continued Dizziness

Hi

Have you tried herbal alternatives?

Homeopathic medicine is far better than the PAP that GP's are happy to pump in to our systems.

I have had far better results from the above thatn any of the prozac I have been put on.

let me know if you would like some advice on which medicine helps.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:17 PM   #7
    sahaira
    (female)

sahaira HB User

thank you everyone from posting. Hopefuldoll- i do have muscle aches but they have subsided over the last few months but the dizziness never seems to go away fully. I get a lot of hot flushes, dizziness, tired all the time and I have all these phobia thats never seem to fully go away. What do they do to treat the fibromyalgia? I am sorry to hear that you have FM. I always have a problem with bright lights- lights in target etc kill me. I also really do not like heavy patterns or busy areas.

Thanks again everyone for posting. It really is nice to get reassurance from time to time to keep you going. Hope everyone is well!

Old 06-19-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
    HopefulDoll
    (female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Sahaira, There's not a lot that can be done for Fibromyalgia. Some painkillers help but really we have to adapt our lives a lot. I believe (and some doctors do too) that FM happens when the body and mind cant take any more and just sort of 'caves in'. FM is a syndrome with a LOT of symptoms,it's not a 'serious illness' but some believe that the pain threshold levels are affected and so our bodies THINK we feel pain that others wouldn't notice,so we DO actually feel pain.I also believe that personality type is a major issue with it. The perfectionist, people-pleaser types seem very prone to it. (That's me!)

Anxiety and panic attacks are one of the symptoms. I was doing very well,was going out more places but then a few days ago I had to travel away from home and stay away overnight and ended up having a '24 hour panic attack' as my body was in 'fight or flight' mode ALL the time and my mind just wouldn't stop racing.It was terrible. I wanted to come home and knew I couldnt until the work was done! It felt like I had full blown flu as well! It was a bad setback but I'll just have to try get back on track again (when I've recovered from the fatigue of it all) We'll just try to keep positive.

Keep in touch and let me know how you are.
    Hopeful

Old 06-23-2005, 10:09 PM   #9
    guitarz
    (male)

guitarz HB User

Hello all..my first post but we have something very similar going on. I too suffer from cronic dizziness, anxiety and panic attacks. My doctors has sent me to a nuerologist and have had hearing tests, blood work etc...the bottom line was the term "psychogenic dizziness".

Now for me i too can bring on Panic Attacks just by thinking about the dizziness and and my anxiety level starts to go up especially in social situations. Cause when i feel so dizzy i dont want to socialize and dont want people to say "Hey whats wrong with you"

For me it doesnt matter if i am in a relaxed state or not not the dizziness persits. Sometimes i feel like i am one a boat..rocking back and forth.

Now i question is the dizinness the casue of my anxiety/panic or the anxiety the cause of the dizziness?

One doctor placed me on effexor for this condition. I could only handle one pill! ya just one. dindt sleep that night..the whole next day extreme vertigo ..tried to read the newspaper and words were moving around....so i am terrified to try any other SSRI drugs. Apparently, SSRI drugs can help psychogenic dizziness but what i experienced was dredfull. Side effects scare me as i have been on Prednizone many years ago and dont want to relive that nightmare

How is your sleeping? I question if i have a sleeping problem too and dont get enough in the night. Where my mind acts as though it is half asleep all day and i experience the dizzinness...kind of like when you first wake up in the morning and jump out of bed.

Headaches too and all that/ mild depression just cause i have felt this way for a long time

Besides the one attempt at SSRI i have recently tried to take Sam-e (like an ssri) with vitamin b6 b12 and folic ...no change..its only been 4 days though...

i have experienced this problem for 10 years. having some months of the year not as bad as other months but having a terrible time right now so i am here on this board

Old 06-24-2005, 09:10 AM   #10
    sahaira
    (female)

sahaira HB User

HI Guitarz-

Sorry to hear that you too suffer from the chronic dizziness. It is the most uncomfortable sensation and it really does make moving on from panic very difficult. Your sensations sound a lot like me. Its weird when I sit quietly is when I feel the rocking,swaying sensaiton a lot more. If I am moving around it is heaps better. I can also tell when I get anxious my dizziness is much more pronounced. I think the question of whether the dizziness causes panic or does the panic cause dizziness is a good one. I often wonder the same thing. I think its both depending on the occasion and I also think the feed each other. When I am anxious or panicky here comes the dizziness .... when I am calm and happy the dizziness starts up and I start feeling very panicky. My dizziness has gotten better in the last 6 months but it seems to be the last thing lingering. I dont really have a problem with sleeping other than I want to sleep ALL the time I find sleep to be the ONLY time I am really peaceful. So I do sleep well but I feel tired all the time. I do not take an SSRI's b/c of the side effects that go along with them and how hard it is to stop them. I do think they help a lot of people though and are good for some. I take xanax. Xanax has helped me regain 75% of my life back - I am just fighting for the other 25%.
    I hope that you dizziness does go away and you find something that works for you. if you ever need someone to talk to - we are here!!

-Sahaira-

Old 06-24-2005, 01:04 PM   #11
    guitarz
    (male)

guitarz HB User

Hey Sahaira,
    you mention your dizziness has gotten better in the last 6 months or so...is this when you started the Xanax medication or is it just slowly getting better on its own?

A doctor gave me a prescription for Clonazepam at the same time as the effexor a few months ago but like I say i only took one pill of the effexor and felt so terrrible i threw the pills out and also the prescription for Clonazepam heheheh..bad day...maybe i should have tried the later.

I understand what you mean about being busy and not really feeling dizzy but the second you stop its right there..i know that as well

Another thing i didnt mention above is along with this dizziness, rocking motion, i sometimes but not rencently have a numb feeling in my lips and face. Sometimes when i touch my hand to my face it feels like its melting into it...not such a good thing. Thought i had a pinched nerve and all that but the nuerologist said it was more psychogentic in nature...hmmmm

I wonder if this dizzinnes is a result of being in a high state of anxiety or panic all the time? SO maybe something like a benzodiazepine would help

Old 06-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #12
    MagicalDi
    (female)

MagicalDi HB User

Guitarz-
    Wow! I've never heard anyone mention the numb lip/face thing before. I get that, too, occasionally. I don't have much of the dizziness, except when I'm having an anxiety attack, but I get that numb feeling sometimes out of no where. It's not really bad, like novicaine from the dentist, but a definate numb/cold feeling. Nice to know I'm not alone. And neither are you!!

Old 06-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #13
    kw40
    (female)

kw40 HB User

I am experiencing extreme dizziness now myself. It has been going on for about 6 weeks. It is mostly a light headed feeling. I went to the dr and am having a hearing test on monday. She seems to think it is anxiety and tells me not to worry even though I of course worry about it being something terrible. She tried to give me reassurance telling me she doesn't see anything to make her think it is neurologic but I'm still worried.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:01 PM   #14
    guitarz
    (male)

guitarz HB User

kw40

I too was very worried when i went to the doctor. Thinking it must be a tumour or something terrible in nature. However, my neurologists said if your not running to the washroom to vomit because of extreme headaches its not too bad. I too had my hearing tested...everything was fine that way for me...eventhough sometimes a have a "fullness" feeling in my ears. Again the nuerologists basically said these symptoms are not indicators of other things...except psychogenic in nature..i.e anxiety/panic depression etc....

Old 06-25-2005, 10:56 AM   #15
    kw40
    (female)

kw40 HB User

Thanks for that word of encouragement. I am still feeling just "different". Just waiting to get dizzy. I don't really know how to explain it. Also my ear is really ringing today. Which is the reason the doctor ordered the hearing test. Does anybody here feel that way about just feeling dizzy all the time or waiting for that dizziness to show up again.

Closed Thread