It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Question about Klonopin (Clonazepam)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2005, 08:03 AM   #1
    WildStrawberry
    Inactive
    (male)

WildStrawberry HB User
    Question Question about Klonopin (Clonazepam)

Since Clonazepam is classified as a benzodiazepine Anticonvulsant, is it safe to take this med if you just have panic attacks/panic disorder and you are not epileptic? Like will you develop epilepsy from taking this med in anyway?

I just have bad panic attacks sometimes and use clonazepam for them as needed. Usually 1mg. You don't have to be epileptic to be on klonopin do you? It won't make you develop anything will it?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
    Re: Question about Klonopin (Clonazepam)

No no no, Klonopin is very frequently prescribed for people with panic and anxiety and is a good treatment for many people without a lot of side effects. In my opinion, benzos are the way to go for treating panic attacks.

Old 07-20-2005, 02:08 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

although originally developed for epileptic siezures, clon is just another valium typoe med and has become very popular for panic attacks, you could confirm this with a pharmacist

Old 07-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
    ItWontGiveUp
    (male)

ItWontGiveUp HB User

I agree also. There's lots of meds available for a variety of illnesses that treat multiple symptoms.

Old 07-20-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
    harleydavidson
    (male)

harleydavidson HB User
    Smile Re: Question about Klonopin (Clonazepam)

Welcome wild strawberry Klonopin is for seizure and no you don't have to be an epileptic to take them. No you won't develop epilepse if takes these. just my oppion I used klonopin fo a long time it was perscribed for anziety but it is habit forming you shouldn't go on and off you need to read the PDR the doctor who perscribed them to you didn't he tell you Klonopin is not a med you should take and quit take and quit the with drawals can be awful. Ask your doctor to help you with out Drugs I take nothing now because I found out to much bad things about Benzo's. But thats just my oppion . There is a book I stumbled on its called the real truth about the drug Companys I heard it revealed alot of stuff we need to know before we just take some thing but search the information for your self its out there more and more well got a little winded hope I gave you some ray of hope Im not a doctor just my exprience

Old 07-21-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleydavidson
    Welcome wild strawberry Klonopin is for seizure and no you don't have to be an epileptic to take them. No you won't develop epilepse if takes these. just my oppion I used klonopin fo a long time it was perscribed for anziety but it is habit forming you shouldn't go on and off you need to read the PDR the doctor who perscribed them to you didn't he tell you Klonopin is not a med you should take and quit take and quit the with drawals can be awful. Ask your doctor to help you with out Drugs I take nothing now because I found out to much bad things about Benzo's. But thats just my oppion . There is a book I stumbled on its called the real truth about the drug Companys I heard it revealed alot of stuff we need to know before we just take some thing but search the information for your self its out there more and more well got a little winded hope I gave you some ray of hope Im not a doctor just my exprience
    Benzos are really best to take as needed if possible rather than every day on a regular basis. I think in general you won't experience bad effects if you just take them as needed. In that regard, they are a godsend for many people who have panic attacks.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

It might be an anti-epileptic drug but they probably found during studies that it seemed to work extremely well for anxiety as a bonus and started listing it as a benzodiazepine in addition. It's very similar to how Depakote, an anti-epileptic drug used for Bipolar Disorder, was found to have mood stabilizing properties.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-24-2005, 05:44 PM   #8
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

klonapin is simlpy another benzo or valium type med
    true it was originally developed for epilepsy but this perhaps was mainly a clever sales idea as a dose of any other valium type med would have helped as much

Closed Thread