It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Success Story....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #1
    bderozi
    (male)

bderozi HB User
    Success Story....

Does anyone out there have a success story to tell?

Or is there anyone that feels like they are on the verge of success?

I would love to hear so positive stories about your Strugle with Anxiety/Panic and overcoming it, and where you are now in life!

If you do have a success story and are willing to share, please do!!!
    {REMOVED}

{It's fine to ask others to share their success stories. It's wonderful to hear success stories, but let others share as much or as little information as they want. Don't post survery/poll like questions to be answered. Ms_Mod}

I think we would love to hear about this.....Thanks!

-B

Last edited by msmod; 11-02-2005 at 10:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
    bderozi
    (male)

bderozi HB User
    Re: Success Story....

I find it hard to believe that there is not a single success story out there!

Anyone having/making any progress....whether with MEDS, Theraphy, etc...???

Thanks
    -B

Old 11-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

be patient,
    lots recover but they normally leave this board and take no further interest in it or helping others

panic disorder is much better understood nowdays and if there is a genuine desire to recover, then getting better is usually straightforward

Old 11-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

hi bderozi -

There is a person who usually posts opn the anxiety board who has overcome panic/anxiety. She was one of those fortunate few who just seemed to grow out of it. You might want to post there and see if she responds.

While i know I'm not cured, I do consider myself in recovery mode right now. I have had anxiety/panic since I was about 11 years old, and I will be 27 next week (wow!). I didn't go to the doctor for my problem until i was 23. I just assumed I was weird and had some sort of weird phobias that no one else in the world had, so i was too embarrassed to tell anyone.

I was so relieved when my dr told me this is panic and very common. He gave me a prescrip for alprazolam and I began taking it fairly regularly and loved it. over the last few years my anxiety has gotten better and worse. It seems to get very bad sometimes for a period of months, then seems to virtually disappear as i get more confident, but it has always been there lurking in the back of my mind.

I tried seeing a counselor and trying various meds, but my doctor was the type to just write out a new prescrip every time I came in and not tell me how to take it, he didn't take any blood tests on me or offer me any other healthy living advice.

Finally I changed doctors and found one interested in treating the "whole" me and not just my anxiety. I already know what i need to be healthy, so she is just helping me along.

I finally stopped being a chicken and started taking lexapro, I am now on month 2 ar 20 mg. I still take alpraxolam but only a couple times a week as needed. I have been working out 5-7 days a week for 40 minutes and setting goals like"look good in a bikini" and "run a 5k." Those goals help keep me going, but in all honesty, once I started doing it consistently, I did notice a difference in how I feel. I try to eat better, but I still don't eat as good as I should. Mostly I made small changes like changing to wheat bread and eating as many servings of fruits and veggies a day as possible. I sleep a lot and try to drink a lot of water.

I also challenge myself by going out and doing things I would normally be afraid to do, from going out to dinner to taking a trip to Mexico. Everytime I successfully do one of these things I build my confidence. I truly believe the key is to develop your confidence.

Anyway, that is my success story. The Lexapro is the catalyst but lifestyle changes in combination with meds have helped me tremendously. When i get ready to go off lexapro I plan on getting some more therapy so i can deal with the feelings before they turn into full blown anxiety.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
    bderozi
    (male)

bderozi HB User

Thank You,

That was a great reply....Its good to hear you are doing so well......

I hope you will continue to feel good, and I hope I will continue to feel better.

Anyone else out there? Thanks.

-B

Old 11-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
    Laur77
    Veteran
    (female)

Laur77 HB User

I started having panic attacks when I was 13. I was very much like mjewell...I didn't know what was happening and thought I was going crazy. For most of my teens I had several debilitating attacks every day. I wanted to die it was so horrible. Finally I read about panic attacks in a magazine in my late teens and realized that was what I had. Once I finally knew what was happening and knew I wasn't going crazy I could deal with it a lot better. Unfortunately I had a really bad doctor at the time and she brushed me off saying I was not having panic attacks. I am very quiet, and did not push it, and unfortunately was too shy to go out and get another opinion. Eventually over the years I discovered ways that work for me of dealing with the attacks. Doing a lot of research helped, especially knowing that it is a chemical imbalance, and not a mental disorder as I once believed. I will be 28 in a couple of weeks, and realized just today that I have not had an all-out bad panic attack in almost a year!! This is the longest I have ever gone! Usually I go through bad spells a couple times a year where I will have several attacks over a few days then be okay again for awhile. I do still suffer from GAD and minor OCD on a daily basis, but nothing like I once was. Plus I have gotten so used to it being a part of my life that it doesn't bother me as much anymore. I used to say, "why me?" and wanted to have a 100% cure. I realize that is likely never going to happen and I have to deal with that. I have a really good doctor now who understands my desire not to take medication and he has helped me with diet, supplements, etc. to help control my anxiety. My life is in a really good place right now. I just had my first baby, and focus on being strong for him. I know I will probably have more panic attacks, but now when I do have them, I try to go to a quiet place, and let it come on and pass. I don't fight it anymore. I find by doing this, it passes much easier. I tell it (the attack) that it will not take over my life, and it can just hurry up and do its thing, and let me get on with things!! I hope this helps a little to know that it can get better. All though I did it without medication or much medical intervention, I definitely encourage anyone to get help ASAP. I only didn't because I didn't know any better at the time, and just eventually adapted on my own. However, that was a LOOOOOONG, HARD journey. Share with your family and friends. I never told anyone, not even my mother because I thought every one would think I was crazy. By the time I knew what was going on and that I wasn't crazy, I was so used to hiding it, that I still never told anyone. The first person I opened up to was my husband. And I believe that is what has helped me a lot too. It is so great to be able to say "I am having an attack", and not have to pretend everything is okay. Well that was quite the ramble, thanks for reading! Feels good to talk about it, as it is such a huge part of my life. Best of luck to everyone. Keep strong.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:05 AM   #7
    fergen
    (female)

fergen HB User

i would like to say i guess im a success story i was first diagnosed with panic disorder but there wasnt a whole lot known about it so they threw valium at me which didnt work i then ended up with agoraphobia and started having very bad tachycardia attacks which were correctly diagnosed as PAT and a prolapsed mitral valve with the click not the murmur once they put me on lanoxin and inderal i have not had a panic attack or a tachycardia attack since 1985 i always tell people to have the docs rule out any thing physical before saying you have panic disorder because there are physical maladys that can cause you to have panic attacks but dont give up be firm and there is help out there no matter what it is and there is better meds out there so you dont have to suffer with this take care and hang in there

Old 11-10-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
    immortal19
    Inactive
    (male)

immortal19 HB User

Hello,

A little about my success story.

My panic/anxiety disorder started after a bad trip on extacy.
    The first couple of years were awful, probably alot like your experiancing now.
    Many people are different in their symptoms but the main one's are the one's that scare you the most.
    After about 2 years I got sick of it and sick of medication.
    So I went ahead and got off the zoloft I was taken which was an exceedingly high amount and of course I had all the withdrawal symptoms with that but at that time I didn't care, I just went through it.
    After that was gone I started thinking more about what panic and anxiety Really is.
    To me, it was nothing but me, i was causing it and I was the one who made it worse than it actually was. This is also an ongoing research about panic disorder.
    One day I had a panic attack and I made it as worse as I could, I was saying some awful things to myself, really egging it on to do it's worse...it got really bad and fast the more things I thought of (like dying, going crazy, deseases, all kinds of stuff), and I did this on purpose to learn the nature of panic.
    The more and more I thought about it and the more I though of different causes, deseases, death, and many others it got worse and worse.
    Finally it went away because I pretty much wore myself out, after which I wrote down what had happened because I couldn't think about it and reflect on it right then because I was so exausted and fell asleep.
    The moment I woke up and read what I wrote down is when I started reflecting on it.
    First, what caused me to panic in the first place...from what I remember it had something to do with an everyday anxiety symptom, rather it was chest pain or whatever.
    Second, why did I panic over chest pain...because I made myself conciously think about the pain in my chest and over exagurate on it thinking it was a heart attack or whatever.
    Third, why did I continue to panic...because when you start to panic you get more symptoms from the fight or flight response, which I gave a list to the moderator which is stickied at the top of this forum. The more symptoms I got the more irrational thinking began...just look at the list of symptoms and think about other causes that can give you those symptoms.
    Fourth, why did it stop...because I was tired and couldn't continue to think about the symptoms and became tired and went to sleep.

So after long reflecting on this, I decided that I was causing my panic attacks and nothing else, the first symptom you get rather it's from a sensation in the body or a irrational thought in your mind is where the panic starts. I began to think before reacting to these symptoms or sensations.
    I began to talk to others about sensations and symptoms and irrational thoughts (people without panic disorder) and asked them how they coped with it....pretty much all of them said "I didn't cope with them they just went away."
    Ok, so obviously they felt it at first, but paid them no mind and that's why they went away. So everyone on this planet has the same symptoms, sensations or irrational thoughts but do not greive over them.
    So why should I/we? After a couple of months of thinking before reacting to symptoms/sensations or irrational thoughts they started to come less and less. Then at a turning point, I had a really bad symptom or sensation (don't remember) and of course my mind automatically focused on it....but then it was gone and I was already thinking of something else, WITH NO EFFORT.
    So the thinking before reacting didn't matter anymore, I had done it so much that it became a habit. i also believe that panic is a habit, you build it up so much in your mind over time that it just becomes a habit to think about it.
    So for me, the habit of thinking before reacting changed my habit of reacting before thinking (panic).
    It's now 2 years later and I have a little anxiety now and then but no panic...and anxiety is perfectly normal in everyone's life.

Fear of panic only leads to the fear of fear itself.
    There is nothing to fear.

Thanks and everyone will have their turning point, the only question to ask yourself is...."Do I want to live normal again?"

Good Luck

Old 11-11-2005, 01:46 AM   #9
    Madj
    (female)

Madj HB User

Hi, I have a success story to tell

I've had panic attacks since I was 16 years old. Now I am 28 and I am free from panic!!! I've been free from panick since I was pregnant with my 2nd child 1 1/5 years ago. I am at last feeling ok after so many years of suffering. After I gave birth on my 2nd child a new problem arrived for me which made it difficult for me for a while. I had a problem with insomnia because of the baby, but thankfully I managed to get better by doing acupuncture + hypnotherapy + medications at the time.

I believe there is hope for all of you and don't ever stop trying every single method you know of until you find the right solution for you. For me... what really stopped my panic attacks was hypnotherapy and I thank God for that. Keep the Faith!!!!

Old 11-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #10
    ajas
    (female)

ajas HB User

HI Guys
    I had my first attack when trying to get on a bus, 21years old, fled home , cried, didnt know what was wrong.When I say Home I was in another country! I spent months getting more afraid of everything, thats when I started on valium.
    I had a few years of relief..dont know why, I was sometimes just edgy, but we were quite the party people, so a lot of Booze to help over come the bigger things.
    Could still function relatively well day to day, then one day I opened the door to take kids to school and I just couldnt step outside. Looking back there was a bit of a build up, but I couldnt leave the house at all. Husband not supportive, so that started my quest for some peace.
    I was so panicky even in my home, Talking on the phone, someone knocking on my door threw me into sheer panic , terror more like it, despair, tears, wine, more tears,now had friend to take kids to school, now had friend driving me to doctors! I have tried all medication known to man-kind I think, I had hypnotherapy,acupuncture, bach flower remedy, massages,spiritual healing, therapy and on it kept eating at me, panic, anxiety, depression. Depression because of the anxiety.
    I lived like this until I read one of Dr Wayne Dyers books, and I am going to agree wholeheartedly with immortal 19.
    It just clicked in my brain, why do I feel so bad,? why do I feel like this,? not rocket science, it was me all the time, I put all the bad thoughts in my head. I told myself I dont feel good, I CANT do that or this, once I realized that I had the POWER, no-one else, There was no-one else to blame but me! giving myself negative thoughts. We are totally resposible for every thought that we give ourseleves.
    We with anxiety spend so much time focusing on the bad things,bad thoughts, that if we spent as much time saying good things, positive, then there is no way we can feel bad, so replacing bad thoughts with good thoughts was the key for me.
    I think Mjewell is talking about me on the anxiety board, ?
    Nope didnt grow out of it, just if you sit for awhile and think only about this very moment, then there is nothing to fear, no future to fear and no past to regret, just simply right here ,right now, You cant have fear in this given moment as you are now doing it and its not fearful.
    Bad thoughts will not produce good outcomes, if you keep thinking the way you are thinking now, then you will keep living the way you are living now.
    Change your thoughts and you change your life.
    It takes quite bit to master, but it can be done.
    Update on me now, pretty good....no change that to life is pretty darn wonderful...( I still work hard at living in this very moment.)Oh I am now 47, and still keep valium in bag....just incase..and take a very mild antidepressant.

okay enough on me.....next please..
    I hope you all find the peace , you have it all inside of you.
    Sue

Closed Thread