It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• New to board, not to panic. Help deciding which med to take.. Lexapro or Zoloft....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
    clarissairene
    (female)

clarissairene HB User
    New to board, not to panic. Help deciding which med to take.. Lexapro or Zoloft....

Hello,

My first panic attack was April of this year. Thought i was having a heart attack.... you know the rest! I am a 28 yr old married women with at 3 year old son. I am norally pretty helathy excpet never lost my pregnancy weight. So I have no idea why I have panic attacks. I think I am over figureing out why and now trying to deal with them. I am now a very Anxious person and think I have devloped GAD along the way this year. So the doctor gave me Celexa in May to start. I remember it working for a few months with some yucky side effects and then in August it made me really moody, a zombie, tired all the time, and then came the depression. I have never had depression before. So I weaned myself off of this. Oh, I also take .5 of xanax every night after work.

Soo..in September I was off of Celexa and I thought I was doing good. Then in October I had all these stomach problems, nausea 24/7 and so much more... they did all these tests, sigmoidscopy, colonoscopy, and stool tests... found nothing. Well... I finally had a major panic attack 1 week ago. all day my heard was just racing and i couldnt catch my breath. I had had small panic attacks that weekend, luckily my husband was home and calmed me down. Its like I feel a wave of flush come over my body and I want to faint. Anyone else have that feeling? Well the BIG attack on Monday made me rush to the ER where they took all these test, and after 5 hours and 2 xanax.... sent me home. So I am now back to having these attacks. And since then my chest has been hurting. Can you over exhert your muscles so much that they hurt in that area? Xanax is not even working for me anymore...after i take it it makes my chest tight.

So I saw the phycatrist yesterday. He suggested I try Zoloft. But not knowing anything about the pill i said no and suggested lexapro since its close to celexa, what i was previously taking. But now I am wondering... how many of you take zoloft for panic/anxiety or lexapro and what are the pros and cons... side effects, does it really help.

Will they ever go away! I want to be a healthy mom and wife. I felt so bad... My stomach and chest were hurting so bad last night that at 7pm I put my son and I to sleep early. I feel that I am just not able to give him quality time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
    nuttyprof.
    (male)

nuttyprof. HB User
    Re: New to board, not to panic. Help deciding which med to take.. Lexapro or Zoloft....

Hi,
    I'm taking Zoloft now for depression and panic. For me, the drug is very stimulating but at the same time i'm very tired. One of the side effects can be insomnia, especially early in treatment. That's whats happening to me now. Some nights i just lay in bed and stare at the ceiling all night. I've also noticed i'm having some mood swings on the medication. I don't know if its just a matter of my brain getting used to the medication or what. I'm not having panic attacks but so far these side effects are a little annoying. I'm gonna try to stick with it and see if my body gets used to it after a few weeks. I was taking 2 other meds with the zoloft but i stopped them because of over sedating side effects. I weaned off the other two and now am just taking the Zoloft and this has been whats happening the past week.

I took Lexapro a few years ago and never again for me. It wasnt so much having panic attacks (although i still had anxiety) but i felt extremely tired all the time and even more depressed and grouchy.

Those are my experiences with these two meds so far. I'm gonna stick with the Zoloft atleast a few more weeks.

good luck if you decide to take one of these meds!

Last edited by nuttyprof.; 12-13-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Old 12-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
    sarah5432
    (female)

sarah5432 HB User
    Re: New to board, not to panic. Help deciding which med to take.. Lexapro or Zoloft..

Hi, I can very much relate to your situation. I'm the mother of a 2 yr. old girl and I had my first panic attack just one week before she turned one year old. I am currently taking Lexapro and it has been a lifesaver for me. I did have some side effects in the beginning...upset stomach, heartburn and lightheadedness but thats all gone now. I'm going on week 9 of the Lexapro and I feel great.

I used to want to lay in bed with my daughter all day long. Thats where I felt the most safe and comfortable. Now we get up in the morning and I play with her and we cook together. These are things that I have rarely done with her in the last year. I felt so depressed before because I knew I was missing out on so much and I felt like I was wasting time. Now I'm taking advantage of that time.

You aren't a horrible mother you just have a disorder that is hard to deal with. I feel so much happier now and I no longer have mood swings and rarely stress over my health. I truely feel like I'm being the best mother I can right now.

I hope that you can give the Zoloft or Lexapro a try. One will work for you, but you won't know which until you try. Give it a few weeks to start working too. The beginning is the worst of it, but it will get better.

I hope this helped!

Old 12-15-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
    clarissairene
    (female)

clarissairene HB User
    Re: New to board, not to panic. Help deciding which med to take.. Lexapro or Zoloft....

sarah5432-

Thanks for replying. Its nice to hear someone is in a similar situation as me. You sound so much like me. I too, when feeling all this panic and depression just take Jakob(my son) and I too bed and I put him in my bed. But way ealier then normal. And I just dont think thats fair to him. I want to be able to play with him and for him not to see me cry or shake or get scared. My husband works nights so its just him and I at night. I am definently going to try the lexapro this weekend. My first day will be saturday. Can you tell me when you felt it started to work for you? And how long did the side effects last? Do you take anything else? I was taking xanax only at night but now the doctor has prescribed ativan. I tried it last night and had a panic attack afterwards. My neighbor came over to help me out and she thinks i just work myself up because I am afraid of taking pills.

So do you really think the lexepro is helping you? Do you take it in the morning or at night? I was prescribed 10mgs. Does your daughter know or sense things when you have the panic attacks? I dont think my son does. But i always wonder... what happens when hes like 8 and see's me like this.

Thanks again for replying. REading these messages makes me feel like I am not crazy and not alone.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
    sarah5432
    (female)

sarah5432 HB User
    Re: New to board, not to panic. Help deciding which med to take.. Lexapro or Zoloft..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clarissairene
    sarah5432-

Thanks for replying. Its nice to hear someone is in a similar situation as me. You sound so much like me. I too, when feeling all this panic and depression just take Jakob(my son) and I too bed and I put him in my bed. But way ealier then normal. And I just dont think thats fair to him. I want to be able to play with him and for him not to see me cry or shake or get scared. My husband works nights so its just him and I at night. I am definently going to try the lexapro this weekend. My first day will be saturday. Can you tell me when you felt it started to work for you? And how long did the side effects last? Do you take anything else? I was taking xanax only at night but now the doctor has prescribed ativan. I tried it last night and had a panic attack afterwards. My neighbor came over to help me out and she thinks i just work myself up because I am afraid of taking pills.

So do you really think the lexepro is helping you? Do you take it in the morning or at night? I was prescribed 10mgs. Does your daughter know or sense things when you have the panic attacks? I dont think my son does. But i always wonder... what happens when hes like 8 and see's me like this.

Thanks again for replying. REading these messages makes me feel like I am not crazy and not alone.

I'm glad that you're going to try the Lexapro! I was first prescribed 10mg pills but I cut them in half and only took 5mg's for the first week. I ended up staying on 5mg's for an additional week because I was having nasty heartburn but I was prescribed Nexium and that helped. After two weeks I went up to 10mg's and then two weeks later I went to 15mg's and then two weeks after that I took 20mg's and am still at 20mg's.

I first started to notice a difference after about two weeks. I was on 10mg's and it wasn't a huge difference but I definitely felt better. I could go places and not feel quite as panicky. I had Sooooo much more patience for my daughter. My husband noticed that after the first week of taking Lexapro. I was playing with her a lot more and I didn't get as frustrated over the little things.

The side effects lasted about 2-3 weeks as well. The most noticable one for me was the heartburn and upset stomach. Each time I switched doses I would get some side effects but they only lasted a couple days each time.

I do take Xanax as well. Before Lexapro I was taking it 2-3 times (.25mg's) per day. I now only take it once a day in the mornings and some days I only take a half pill. The only reason I still take it is becuase I've been having soem breakthrough anxiety in the mornings but its quite light. I could deal with it, but my psychiatrist wants me to continue on the Xanax until we get it under control completely.

Just yesterday I started taking 10mg's in the morning and 10mg's at night to see if that helps get rid of the morning anxiety. Otherwise I was taking 20mg's in the morning time with breakfast. I've found that if I don't take it with food I get an upset stomach.
    It does make me a little tired from time to time but its nothing I can't deal with. I can still do my daily things and not think about being tired.

I used to worry all the time about my daughter watching me cry too. It was a very hard thing to deal with. I felt horrible each time and she would just sit there and watch me. She didn't know what was wrong. I don't know if she realizes things when I have a panic attack or not. I try to hide it from her as much as I can. I used to get upset with her if I was having an attack and she wanted me to hold her or something. I would tell her she'd have to wait a minute but I dont' do that anymore.

My panic attacks are much less now. I used to get them everyday but now its more like 1-2 per week if even that. They're much less severe too.

Sorry to ramble on so much! I hope I answered all of your questions. Good luck with the Lexapro! Give it a few weeks to start working and you may want to ask your doc about splitting the pills for the first week or so. Its supposed to help reduce side effects too.

-Sarah

Closed Thread