It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• supraventricle tachycardia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
    gxpark1234
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gxpark1234 HB User
    supraventricle tachycardia

Anyone Been Told They Have This?> And Can This Be From Anxiety?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
    clarissairene
    (female)

clarissairene HB User
    Re: supraventricle tachycardia

My doctor thought I had this when I had my first panic attack in april this year. I remember it... SVT. I totally thought I had it. My doctor read my 1 day holter monitor test and said i had this and sent me to the cardiologist. When I saw the cardiologits the guy said my doctor was wrong and he jumped to conclusions and that everyone has palputations like this and said I had panic attacks... not this. I have been on a waiting list for an event recorder... its like the holter test but 1 month long! I am still going to take it. It will give me peace of mind after.

What did you want to know about this? Ask me, i can help you... been there done that! Were you diagnosed with this? And no, it cant be from anxiety, atleast what from what my cardio said. It is an actual condition that exists and anxiety is a symptom of it.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I agree with clarissairene. Tachycardia is the medical term for fast heartbeat, and for people who have panic disorder, and unexpected, "out-of-the-blue" panic attacks, doctors want to rule out any other disorders that may be causing the symptoms; hyperthyroidism also mimics panic attacks. If you get an EKG, and your doctor says that it's normal, and all other organic possibilities don't fit, I'd say that it's definitely panic disorder. Still, it is important to get the EKG done, just as a precaution. God bless!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 12-16-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
    gxpark1234
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gxpark1234 HB User

hi, i went to urgent care about a month ago because i wasnt feeling good..thinking i was sick, but i guess in my mind i knew it was anxiety/panic, when i got to the hospital, the nurse started to check my pulse, and for some reason i started to panic really bad.. then she looked at me weird, and i paniced more etc..anyways.. i was put on a ekg, doctor said a half an hour later it was SVT but he didnt look so sure.. i asked him if it was because of panic and he said he didnt know.. he let me go a hour later and said not to worry and told me to get a holter monitor and stress echo, then see a cardiologist.. i havent done that yet because right when i left the hospital my heart was fine.. and it was fine after that.. i think i had a panic attack but since the doctor said svt im scared.. my heart was racing very fast when he did put me on the ekg and it wouldnt stop.. thanks---i also get chronic hives. i feel like this is all related .. ugh

Old 12-16-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Before you go for the stress test/EKG, maybe ask the cardiologist if it's okay to take a benzodiazepine (Klonopin, Valium, Xanax, etc) beforehand, so your heart rate will be normal and not affected by the panic. Just make sure it's okay first- since benzos are depressants, they might just want you at your norm, even with a panic attack. God bless!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 12-18-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
    gxpark1234
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gxpark1234 HB User

i really think i get panic attacks which causes really fast heart rate.. but can the mind cause svt?

Old 12-18-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I highly doubt it. SVT is an actual, biological condition, just as panic disorder is. Your mind can't cause either of them. It's just how your body functions, be it properly or slightly dysfunctional. I'd say that SVT is due to some abnormality in the ability of the left ventricle to pump blood, causing the tachycardia, and panic disorder is due to a faulty sympathetic nervous system/"flight-or-fight" response.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 12-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #8
    gxpark1234
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gxpark1234 HB User

ok, so let me get this clear.. i know for a fact ive been having panic attacks for about 10 months.. 1 month ago i went to the doc cause i wasnt feeling good.. and had a major panic attack... he put me on a ekg.. svt.. he said.. i dunno what do u think? panic or svt?? it just trips me out and im worried constantly about this
    thank you

Old 12-18-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I didn't know that you had already had the EKG, but you might want to consider having another one done just to clear it up. Who knows? It may be SVT alone, panic disorder alone, or a combination of both. Talk to the cardiologist about how you think you may have panic disorder, and if that would've done anything to the EKG results. I do think that a retest is a good idea, just to be on the safe side. I hope everything's okay! Good luck, God bless, and write back soon!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 12-18-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
    jenn.e
    Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

Ok, one thing that may help you decide whether its SVT or anxiety is your symptoms. I have SVT and its not hard to mistake for anything else. You know for sure its not just a rapid heart beat. SVT comes on like an attack and you can feel your heart pounding on your chest and in your throat,with a pulse from 140-200. It also goes away just as fast as it comes on. Usually a few skipped beats and then it will stop. There isnt anything gradual about it. Although SVT is biological, anxiety can cause an increase in svt attacks. Adrenaline does funny things to your heart.
    I dont want to sound know-it-all. I have had this for ever it feels like and have been through it all over and over again. If you have any worries just ask.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:12 PM   #11
    gxpark1234
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gxpark1234 HB User

hi, jenne, i know for sure i get panic attacks some days really bad , the time i went to see the doctor i wasnt feeling good and my heart was kinda racy the whole day.. so when i finally saw him.. i started to panic because the nurse gave me this weird look.. hard to explain, and im scared of the doctors.. i paniced really bad, then he put me on a ekg, and paniced more.. and it literally got out of control.. my heart was racing like crazy, banging out of my chest..he later said svt.. but he didnt look so sure.. i asked him if panic could bring it on and he said he didnt know.. so he told me to go see a cardioloigst a week later.. and sent me home and told me not to worry..i havent see a cardioloigist yet but im thinking i should .. but im pretty sure its just panic..i seem to have that reaction when my anxiety is high thanks, btw, my family has no heart problems

Old 12-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #12
    jenn.e
    Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

If it continues to bother you then you should go to a cardiologist. They normally set you up with a little portable heart monitor that will record any episodes you have. That way they can pin point what the cause is and take it from there. If it is SVT then its nothing to worry about. It wont kill you, just annoy the heck out of you. A cardiologist is probably your best bet though. They deal with it everyday all day.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #13
    gxpark1234
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gxpark1234 HB User

i swear , i had it so bad , svt or panic i dont know i think its panic but my heart was going a zillion miles per hour and pounding out of control. i thought i was gonna die from my heart explodi'ng or just stopping from too much pressure.. ever happen to u jenne? its so scary, and i heard somewhere it can weaken ur heart.. it worries me especially cuz i worry about health a lot thanks

Old 12-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #14
    jenn.e
    Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User

A few attacks here and there won't weaken your heart. Yes that happens to me everytime. Its scary!!! I have had to go to the ER before and have them treat me with a drug to "re-start" my heart. That was probably the worst time ever.
    I have panic attacks too, pretty bad. Whenever I feel my heart flutter my mind races and my heart pounds. Next thing I know im in the bathroom leaning over the counter. Not sure why the bathroom, that seems to be the place I run when I have panic attacks.
    Well I better go put my little ones to bed. I could probably talk about my heart all night.
    I hope you get feeling better. Try not to worry so much. (says the kettle )

Old 12-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #15
    gxpark1234
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gxpark1234 HB User

thank you =)

Closed Thread