It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• i have a question about xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
    livelife34711
    (female)

livelife34711 HB User
    Question i have a question about xanax

i was just put on xanax the 23 of dec. and i'm not sure if it is working the way the are supposed to my doc didn't even ask any questions his nurse came in and looked at me did the normal checks and saw how freaked i was then left then the doc cam in with about 10 dif pack of meds took one look at me and gave me paxel said these are for socal anx then gave me a scrip for xanax but didn't tell me for what but said take two a day (there was 10 pills) and call on mon i don't feel any dif but when i take the 2nd pill in the evening i feel like jello i can't walk strait or for that matter i can't stand up lol it's kind of like im drunk but i don't get the silly durnk feeling so the question i guess is what is the xanax for if its for the panic or what i have friends that say when they kick in it make you feel relaxed but i don't i still feel soo stressed out i can't think oh please can someone tell me what the xanax is to do for or to me ???????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2006, 02:06 AM   #2
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
    Re: i have a question about xanax

xanax is supposed to relax you and take the edge of the stress. anxiety or panic attack you might be having. I take 2.5mg only when I really need it and it does help the bad feelings go away.
    If I took 2 in one day I would probably fall asleep or feel the same as you mentioned because it's too much for me.
    what mg did he give you? Maybe you should take one and 1/2 to see if that's a good balance for you. I don't feel anything if I take less than 2.5mg.
    If xanax is not working for you then try ativan, vallium, or something like that. Maybe they will have a better effect for you.
    Good luck & hope you feel better soon!
    T.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
    livelife34711
    (female)

livelife34711 HB User

i am taking 0.25 twice a day it keeps the panic away but i'm still so stressed my shoulders hurt my neck hurts and i'm ready to pounce on anyone who crosses my path i feel bad for everyone who lives with me i took vallum (sp sorry) and it did nothing the doc gave it to me so he could stick me with a needle and stitch me up all that did was make me mad cause he stuck me with that darn needle and made me more tence maby 0.25 is not enough but what if they gave me too strong of a dose would it hurt me like bad side affects? as if you can't tell i'm a little paranoid sorry
    oh and thanks for the reply if i didn't say it before

Old 01-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
    KrazyAS
    (female)

KrazyAS HB User

I was given .50mg of xanax to take 3 times a day. I would take only .25mg everyday and i would feel like I was drunk, or on drugs, my eyes would be bloodshot, and i would walk into walls! Finally, i took .25mg every other day and it really helped. To me, the xanax just blocks all of the horrible symptoms you would normally have while having a panic attack. I would be all nervous, and 20 min after i took the xanax i would be in heaven. It was like someone shut the anxiety switch off in my body. Talk to your doctor and see what he says about your reaction.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
    aquatilly
    (female)

aquatilly HB User

If xanax is working properly you shouldn't be having symptoms of "feeling drunk" and walking into walls. People should only be taking xanax when they are having a panic attack or realize they are about to, it's not a drug you should be taking daily on a routine basis, some doctors just do not know what they are doing.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

xanax is a useful valium type med, best taken only as needed for anxiety or panic attacks
    the dose a person needs varies a lot
    at first these meds can make you feel very drunk but this is reduced as you get used to it, until then, reduce the dose

Old 01-30-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User

Hi!

Everyone reacts differently to different drugs - it's possible that Xanax isn't the right fit for you. Primarily it's for extreme anxiety, as when you are having a panic attack. There is a new form of Xanax, however, that is meant to be taken daily and maybe this is something to consider. Ativan is also another that can be taken daily, so it really depends on exactly what type and severity of anxiety you have as to what would be most appropriate. .25mg is a very low dosage and may not be adequate. I take 1mg as necessary if I am severely stressed, otherwise I take half a pill. I don't have the symptoms you describe, I just feel "normal", I guess you could say, but sometimes a bit groggy, especially if it's been a while since I have taken it. If you don't feel that Xanax is helping then speak to your dr. and hopefully he will have you try something else. Best wishes.

Char

Old 02-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
    jules1
    Veteran
    (female)

jules1 HB User

I take my xanax every day (my Rx is for .25 3xday as needed), because not only does it take the edge off and prevent any panic attacks, but it calms my mind (I'm very OCD) in a way that no other drugs can. So, I think it is wrong to say that xanax shouldn't be taken everyday. I don't take it if I don't feel like I need it, but I pretty much always take it at night to help me sleep because, not only does it makes me sleepy, it calms my mind and keeps me from grinding/clenching my teeth a night. Perhaps it isn't for everyone, but given my mix of conditions (depression, anxiety, OCD, TMJ, IBS), it is a WONDER drug!

Closed Thread