It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• What Determines if You Have a Chemical Imbalance?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
    Joko
    (female)

Joko HB User
    What Determines if You Have a Chemical Imbalance?

I'm wondering if "chemical imbalance" is just a catchy phrase? What determines it? Just only by having anxiety or panic attacks? Is there a test for this? or does anyone having a mental disease have it? Thanks for any help . ..
    Joko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: What Determines if You Have a Chemical Imbalance?

its just a theory
    some are insulted if told they are mentally ill, so being told they have a chemical imballance is more acceptable

Old 02-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
    BlueEyezzMel
    (female)

BlueEyezzMel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hry33
    its just a theory
    some are insulted if told they are mentally ill, so being told they have a chemical imballance is more acceptable
    Yeah, I would seriously be insulted if someone told me that have panic disorder makes me mentally unstable or ill. I really believe that mine is some sort of imbalance. I don't think it is just a theory...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life DOES get better eventually....

Old 02-18-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joko
    I'm wondering if "chemical imbalance" is just a catchy phrase? What determines it? Just only by having anxiety or panic attacks? Is there a test for this? or does anyone having a mental disease have it? Thanks for any help . ..
    Joko
    No tests. No proof. However the theory is plausible. What they don't tell you is, however, that chemicals in our bodies are created by what we ingest or breathe in....food, drugs, cigarettes etc. So it makes sense that a person who eats right and takes in oxygen good (a fit person) would maintain a good chemical balance, whereas those who eat junk, are in poor shape and indulge in too much alcohol, caffiene, etc. might not feel right or imbalanced in some way....

Chemicals like serotonin for example are created directly from protein synthesis, mainly the amino acid tryptophan which is in most high quality protein foods...

Many substances like drugs, alcohol, medications, cigarettes, etc can impair absorption of many important nutrients.

Old 02-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

I also think that a good diet and avoiding junk food must reduce anxiety
    relaxation, exercise and getting enough sleep also help

Old 02-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Panic disorder IS a type of mental illness, just like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. It may not be nearly as serious, but it's still a psychiatric disorder. However, ALL mental illnesses are caused by a chemical imbalance of some sort plus structural brain abnormalities. We can't help having panic attacks any more than a schizophrenic can help having hallucinations. I agree with hry33 that telling people that they have a "chemical imbalance" cushions the blow of telling them they are mentally ill, but just keep in mind that panic disorder, and all of the other anxiety disorders for that matter, are psychiatric disabilities caused by malfunctions in neurotransmitters in the brain (such as serotonin and GABA). If they weren't, they wouldn't be treated with psychiatric medications like SSRI's and benzodiazepines, and they wouldn't be diagnosed by the DSM-IV...I'm a total believer in the neurobiological causes of mental illness{REMOVED} , so I just wanted to share my opinion...
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by msmod; 02-19-2006 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Carefully read all of the "Sticky" posts at the top of this board. Ms_Mod

Old 02-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
    Panic disorder IS a type of mental illness, just like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. It may not be nearly as serious, but it's still a psychiatric disorder. However, ALL mental illnesses are caused by a chemical imbalance of some sort plus structural brain abnormalities. We can't help having panic attacks any more than a schizophrenic can help having hallucinations. I agree with hry33 that telling people that they have a "chemical imbalance" cushions the blow of telling them they are mentally ill, but just keep in mind that panic disorder, and all of the other anxiety disorders for that matter, are psychiatric disabilities caused by malfunctions in neurotransmitters in the brain (such as serotonin and GABA). If they weren't, they wouldn't be treated with psychiatric medications like SSRI's and benzodiazepines, and they wouldn't be diagnosed by the DSM-IV...I'm a total believer in the neurobiological causes of mental illness{REMOVED} , so I just wanted to share my opinion...
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-
    Just a side note on something: just because something is in that DSM-IV manual of psychiatric disorders doesn't necessarily mean it's truth. It's "legitamite" because a group of professionals decided so.

{REMOVED}

Last edited by msmod; 02-20-2006 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Off topic...the topic is Chemical Imbalances. Ms_Mod

Old 02-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
    msmod

msmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB Usermsmod HB User

Just a reminder folks.
    Agree to disagree, state your OPINION and move on.
    NOBODY here is an expert.

Ms_Mod

Old 02-22-2006, 07:39 AM   #9
    ItWontGiveUp
    (male)

ItWontGiveUp HB User

I'm not a big fan of the term personally. As far as I know there are mental illnesses related to the release/absorption of neurotransmitters and the illnesses related to actual physical structures of the brain (ie brain structure abnormality or a head injury causing damage to a certain area). Chemical imbalance sounds like make-shift term to try and explain the role of NTs in the brain...

Old 02-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
    AlabamaWorley
    (female)

AlabamaWorley HB User

I'm not a big fan of blaming every emotional problem on a "chemical imbalance." I personally feel like people jump to the pharmacy solution too often these days without taking some time to look for underlying environmental factors. It especially bothers me to see kids doped up on one drug after another because they're "too hyper," but it seems like it's the same thing with adults anymore.

Closed Thread