It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Citalopram (Celexa) Help! please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
    jennymar
    (female)

jennymar HB User
    Citalopram (Celexa) Help! please

I just started citalopram almost a week ago for panic disorder and depression. My older brother had just started this medication a week or two sooner and it has been working well for him. Since it was working well for a close realative, I thought it might work for me too. I have been on remeron for months now and all it does for me is put me to sleep and make me hungry at times. I was using Xanax with the remeron to help with panic attacks. Along with the citalopram I was perscribed clonazepam (klonopin) for anxiety so I've stopped the xanax. However, the doctor told me to continue taking Remeron. I've had some strange side affects that I wonder if anyone else has experienced. One evening I was lying down and suddenly a very cold feeling came over me from the inside. It freaked me out so I got up to try to walk it off. I felt a little dizzy and was afraid I was going to pass out. I took my clonazepam and the feeling came and went for a while but I was able to calm down enough to go to sleep. The next few days I was OK, just nervousnesss and a few strage feelings after taking it but last night the coldness and dizziness came back. It really scares me. I tried to call the doctor the first time it happened but missed his return call, he said he'd call me after hours but never did. I left a message today but I think they are closed for Presidents day. I can't seem to decide if I should take my dose again tonight or wait until I talk to the doctor. PLEASE if anyone can give me some advise I would appreciate it so much!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Citalopram (Celexa) Help! please

remeron and citalopram are 2 antidepressant meds of different types, it sounds like the remeron isnt going to help you so doc is now trying the citalopram, presumably he will want you to eventually stop the remeron but docs have different ideas re these meds
    xanax and klonapin are both valium type meds and help with anxiety and also help you to get used to an antidepressant
    I would be asking doc about stopping all antidepressants foir a while to get them all out of your system, then starting the citalopram again later, the valium type meds will help on their own.
    antidepressant meds often make panic disorder sufferers worse at first before hopefully helping later

Old 02-21-2006, 03:57 PM   #3
    paranoidgirl
    Inactive
    (female)

paranoidgirl HB User

I'm thinking this would be a typical side effect of a ssri.. i have been on a few and get that feeling. which does go away.. I am also starting celexa tonight.. i have done pretty well on ssris in the past so i'm hoping it will help..

Old 02-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
    gully4mile
    (male)

gully4mile HB User

anti-ds are childs's play vs. benzos, and they work---maois are effective anxietey meds, and Non-Addicting---and some, as l-deprenyl extend life in lab animals 30-50%---a nice benefit---if it works on people---it's cheap globally---but here, a 1/month minimal supply is $hundreds---surprise, surprise---

Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
    gully4mile
    (male)

gully4mile HB User

don't take a valium, for your sake---resarch benzos on-line---if your hair is not white---it will be---people get ****** at my position on these drugs---{REMOVED}---you'll get my drift---the 'core' you is simply snuffed---but very subtle---you don't see damage, until you're sunk---and look back---

Last edited by msmod; 02-21-2006 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Don't post website addresses or "how to" search instructions. Ms_Mod

Old 02-21-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
    jennymar
    (female)

jennymar HB User

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I had been taking Xanax daily ( 1 - 1.5mg per day) for the last two or three months. After starting the clonazopam, I took only .25 mg for two days and have not taken Xanax for about 5 days. I'm not sure if I was experiencing withdrawl from Xanax, more than likely was a side affect from the celexa. I'm going to continue taking it (celexa) and see if these side affects will go away. I guess it;s just too stressfull trying to figure it out myself, I'll wait and see what the doctor has to say. Still haven't recieved a return call.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
    gully4mile
    (male)

gully4mile HB User

{REMOVED}

This thread is not to debate the good or bad of the use of any class of drug. Respect others opinions, state yours once and move on. Ms_Mod

Last edited by msmod; 02-21-2006 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Off Topic. Ms_Mod

Old 02-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

jennymar:

It sounds like you have figured out why you're feeling this way. If you were taking 1.5mg. for months and then abruptly reduced the dose...it could be some withdrawal symptoms. The trouble is that when starting a new antidepressant, the initial side effects usually include the very symptoms you would feel with withdrawal...kind of edgy, rapid heartrate, trouble sleeping, etc. If you were used to taking 1.5 mg/day of Xanax and are now only taking .25 of Clonazepam to counteract the antidepressant side effects, .25 might not be enough (I'm not sure how they compare...you should ask your doctor). There's a good chance you wouldn't need a benzo after being on your AD after about 4 weeks, but you should always taper down on these medications (both antidepressants and benzos).

On a personal note, I have been taking Xanax as needed for a year and a half. Antidepressants never worked out for my anxiety...I couldn't bear the side effects. I don't take Xanax every day...only when I am terribly anxious or feeling a panic attack coming on. My quality of life would be so much worse without this medication. You are right, it is stressful trying to figure this all out. It gets confusing with the different meds and the different symptoms. I guess I would say I finally found a balance that is working for me. I wish you all the best in finding your perfect balance. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #9
    paranoidgirl
    Inactive
    (female)

paranoidgirl HB User

how are you doing on the celexa jennymar?? i started it about a week after you.so, no improvement yet for me, its only been 6 days..

Closed Thread