It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Zoloft Withdrawal....When does it STOP???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
    Eeyore1973
    (female)

Eeyore1973 HB User
    Unhappy Zoloft Withdrawal....When does it STOP???

I am having these zaps and nausea from stopping Zoloft cold turkey for about 3-4 weeks now. I know I should have tappered off gradually,but it's to late now. Has anyone had the same problems coming off of an AD?
    I can't take it anymore!! Help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2006, 05:24 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Zoloft Withdrawal....When does it STOP???

when stopping an AD cold turkey the med is all out of your system soon and its always difficult to tell the difference between AD after effects and the return of the anxiety that you originally took the AD for, sometimes the anxiety returns in a different form

do try to get some benzos as these will help a lot, but as a last resort, ask doc about getting back on the zoloft and eventually quitting via a slow taper

the zaps are common from anxiety when on no meds at all, I had them, they also are sometimes blamed on starting an AD, I dont know what they exactly are but they are common and do no harm

Old 03-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
    mark75
    (male)

mark75 HB User

i have been on paxil for several years now, and yes i know what you are talking about because i ve missed doses and just tried plain stopping my medicine. a brain zap occurs and it freaked me out because oh it would happen once an hour or so. never no harm though but yes it definatley sucks. just hang in there.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
    luv2dance99
    (female)

luv2dance99 HB User

Try and bear with it, it gets better. I was on Celexa and weaned off about two years ago. It took a good 2 months b4 the withdrawls were over. Remember, not only are you dealing with withdrawl symptoms, but also a rebound of the anxiety/depression you originally took it for. You'll reach equilibrium soon. Benzos definitely help to take the edge off in the meantime and try to keep busy - it takes your mind off of the physical symptoms!

Old 03-26-2006, 06:26 AM   #5
    manchak99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

manchak99 HB User

i'm going to try zoloft but haven't popped the pills yet although they've been sitting in my medicine cabinet for a couple of months....i've read alot of good things about it now being on the boards lately so i'm going to try it.

i'd like to know what your symptoms were that got you prescribed zoloft and did z let you get back to a normal life?

my symptom is really only evident when i'm out of the house! as of last sept, i got a bad room spinning spell in a bank..had to hold onto the desk and from that point on..i think my head's been messed up.....can't go into a grocery store, mall, or any store without worrying so much if i'll pass out. NEVER do but i worry that i will. i must say that i'm better in the am's than in the pm's..can do the store (only grocery) in the am without much complication. this is what i want zoloft to help me with! had a catscan of my sinus and head and all normal. i'm on a low dose of xanax that i don't take unless i really need it...i think it's .25 mg per 8 hours (extended relief tabs).

hope i'm back to myself soon.....feel very limited and have to get myself all hyped up before i go somewhere which is ridiculous!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

It took 6 weeks for me to feel better from terrible Paxil withdrawal. Xanax helped a little bit. Hang in there

Old 03-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #7
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Srmom, did you quit cold turkey?

Old 03-29-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
    SRMom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SRMom HB User

No, I tapered the way the doctor told me to. I was taking Paxil CR 25 for only one month and it made me feel terrible (agitated, diarrhea, insomnia, muscle and joint pain, etc. etc.), so my doctor told me I shouldn't take it anymore. He gave me a week of Paxil CR 12.5 to take and he said I could stop after that I shouldn't have any problems. Let me tell you, it was pure hell (daily migraines, insomnia, violent nightmares, anger/crying, hot flashes/night sweats, muscle cramps, teeth grinding, fatigue, etc., etc.). I will never take Paxil again. I know now that I could've tapered more slowly, but I really think that would've just prolonged my misery since I never felt good on it in the first place...but coming off of it was hell.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #9
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to manchak
    ask doc about taking more xanax to help with the difficuylt things and always carry a few tablets with you when out
    fear of passing out fromn anxiety is common but almost never happens

Closed Thread