It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Buspar and panic disorder??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
    Catt18
    (female)

Catt18 HB User
    Question Buspar and panic disorder??

Hey everyone! I'm currently taking buspar twice daily ( i believe it is 1mg?) Does this help Panic attacks?? or no? hmm I have heard that it doesn't but maybe some of you are taking it? I also take lorazapan which helps eventually....One more question--why is it that when you disolve a benzo under your tongue it works faster?? I still don't understand that concept but lately instead of taking it with water I just hold it in my mouth... Thanks guys!
    jasmine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User
    Re: Buspar and panic disorder??

Buspar is suppose to help anxiety sufferers. For most its only a temporary medication, which from what I understand will stop working after several months. Its suppose to start working in a few weeks more or less. Now the lorazapam should work fast, because benzodiazipines do give fast relief. By taking it under the tongue its ingested sublingually and you will get a faster relief because it enters your blood system faster. I havent done it sublingually but have taken it on occasion to help give faster relief from anxiety. This can be a helpful medication to take until the Buspar kicks in. Good luck. Hope things are goin' really good for you. Is this your first time on meds?

Old 05-07-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User

If your new to these meds....as always keep in touch with your pdoc, or health provider. They can help answer your questions best. But this is such a great site...so many people understand first hand what anxiety is like, its not fun. Your not alone, just keep that in mind.k?

Old 05-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
    Catt18
    (female)

Catt18 HB User

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I have an appointment with my p pretty soon (this friday!) So i will talk to him about it! Do you know of any other medications besides buspar that might help panic disorder and anxiety more?? I"ve been on the buspar for about 3 months....BUT it really doesn't seem to be working for me? hmmm.... And i really don't want to constantly take benzos! The zoloft doesn't seem to be doing much either...does this mean i need to up my dose...(because it has helped a little) or should i try another med? (already tried lexapro did NOTHING for me) Thanks for your advice! I'll talk to my dr on friday! let me know if you have any ideas I could suggest to my dr!
    jasmine

Old 05-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #5
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User

Well I do have a history of trying different medications. Zoloft works well for me right now and have upped my dose to 75 mg of Zoloft with the ok of my doc. I may go up to 100mg if the 75 isnt enough. Paxil was too stimulating for me in the past, as was Lexapro. When I first start a new med I have taking benzos just to get through the extra anxiety of beginning the meds. Benzos work really well when anxiety can be difficult but I personally have only taken benzos short term. So far the Zoloft works the best for me. Each person is so different, thats why no one really knows what works best until they actually find the one that works best for them. Therapy is helpful as well, and can help with learning new coping skills. Relaxation is very important when beginning medications and keeping stressors to a minumum. Good luck, let me know how everything goes on friday. Until then, take it easy and be gentle with yourself as you adjust to your meds. If the buspar isnt working, there is other medications and other options...always remember that there are always other options. Reading books and anything to keep a positive attitude is good. Friends and a good support system are so beneficial too.

Last edited by woodfaery; 05-07-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

buspar is a tranquilliser of a different type to valium, although much advertised to docs, many psychs say its of little help for anxiety and have a poor opinion of it

the makers of buspar admit its not helpful for panic attacks

Old 05-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I took Buspar and it didn't help me either. I was so dizzy on it too. What dosage of Zoloft and Lexapro were you on, and for how long? I have to have high doses of meds because my body is pretty tolerant in general - it takes more of just about everyhting to get the desired effect. I take 20 mgs Lexapro - 10 did nothing for me, but 20 works great. I even went up to 30 during a particulalry stressful time.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #8
    Catt18
    (female)

Catt18 HB User

I was only on 5mg lexapro then i went up to 10 with the doctors permission...Then that really wasn't working either so i upped myself to 15mg the 20mg and well still no luck....Now I'm seeing a new doctor.. I think my body may be VERY tolerant to everything, so i may need more like you. I started at 50mg Zoloft, and now am taking 75mg... I think I want to up it to 100mg.... Lexapro is much more effective in smaller mg then Zoloft... soo I may even want to go up from there? I don't know. And well the buspar i'm taking 10mg... ahh but it just doesn't do anything for me.. haha it could be a sugar pill for all i know! haha maybe i need to up the dose?? dunno... I don't even know if the Zoloft is having the correct effect on me... maybe i need to switch to paxil? hmmm....
    jasmine

Old 05-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
    HelpMeHoldOn
    (female)

HelpMeHoldOn HB User

There are pros and cons with all meds, we are all different, Buspar gave me horrible indegestion by the 3rd day on it , so I was switched to something else. I do hope it works for you!! I knwo it has for a lot of peole, these meds are trial and error, but you will eventually find the one that works best. NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!!
    Hailey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    HAILEY
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread