It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Burning feeling throughout body - rx Emsamm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
    mattsmom105
    (female)

mattsmom105 HB User
    Burning feeling throughout body - rx Emsamm

Hi. has anyone else experience burning like through your veins up arms, back, neck, legs, head rushing through your body during a panic attack?...I cant sleep lay down, constant thoughts and heart palputations.

Mine started 3 days after starting zoloft and xanax. I stopped them. Went to psych hospital with severe depersonalization and burning feeling out my mind for them to prescribe Emsamm patch MAO Inhibitor. THis will take 2 weeks to kick in. Thank god I have a valium in the cabinet. They wont prescribe valium to me, and said all those sleep meds kill your liver.... does this make sense? I am going nuts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #2
    sharon4370
    (female)

sharon4370 HB User
    Re: Burning feeling throughout body - rx Emsamm

Hi Matts Mom,

Oh yes, I can totally relate . That is how I know a panic attack is coming on. I start to feel a flush, kinda like a hot flash, mainly in my upper body. Then soon after that is a trip to the bathroom . At that point I try to do breathing exercises and talk myself down. Usually doesn't start helping until after 3-4 rounds to the bathroom.

I hope you find some peace.

P.S. I just wanted to add I have no idea about valium and the effects on your liver. I have been taking Zoloft for years and I know my doc runs a liver panel every year to check the effects of the Zoloft.

Last edited by sharon4370; 07-11-2006 at 03:41 AM.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

I get the hot flush rush too ugh its horrible.I can feel perfectly fine and sometimes that is the first thing to happen.Alot of times I feel I have to empty my bowels or well vomit (i know yuck).Anyone could see how one may think this to be something more serious but for me its anxiety/stress probably you as well.
    I do know the meds can in some sometimes effect the liver.I am sure this would be after pretty long term daily use.I took Colonopin twice a day for two years dont have a liver problem.

Last edited by tnmomofive; 07-11-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
    sharon4370
    (female)

sharon4370 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tnmomofive
    I get the hot flush rush too ugh its horrible.I can feel perfectly fine and sometimes that is the first thing to happen.Alot of times I feel I have to empty my bowels....
    That is me in a nutshell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Just wanted to say how thankful I am to have found this board. I don't feel so alone anymore.

Hang in there girls!!!

Last edited by sharon4370; 07-11-2006 at 10:36 AM.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I always get a flushed face, combined with freezing cold hands, but when I get a particular bad one (*cough*today*cough*), my whole body gets flushed as you said, and my face actually burns. I, too, always have to go to the bathroom- my panic attacks do keep me regular, I'll give them that... That's really the only good thing about them. Today, what got me through mine was prayer and a Klonopin because I knew it was going to be a long one, since something happened that I perceived to be "bad," and my parents were out, and I had to wait an hour-and-a-half for my mother to come home so I could confess. I used to be like that every single day when my OCD was at its worst when I was 12, and I'd get a panic attack to the magnitude I had today each time I had an obsession until I confessed. I'm still shaken, and I probably will be all day, but at least the Klonopin put me to sleep for an hour after it calmed me, so I didn't have to think and worry. I don't know what I'd do without my Klonopin for times like that, and to think I lived 15 years without it... I realize that, since I don't have panic disorder, and thus, I don't get unexpected, "out-of-the-blue" panic attacks, that I don't know one is "coming on" as others said. Mine just start up due to a situation. For me, the symptoms all are there at once, the abdominal cramping, increased heartrate, and smothering sensation/hyperventilation. When I'm really bad, like today, I get that hot flash that comes and goes like the ebbing of the tide with my cramping. It constricts, and then releases, but it runs through me like electricity. For me, the fear that I have to talk to myself is something OCD-related or a phobia, but I don't have the fear of going crazy, or think that I'm having a heart attack. When possible, I just curl up in my bed in a fetal position, facing the wall. It comforts me...
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 07-12-2006 at 01:25 PM.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
    mattsmom105
    (female)

mattsmom105 HB User

This burning feeling is like a rush going through my veins and unrelated to bowels or cramps, its pure panic. I feel like I am not in my body, and everytime I try to relax, I jump and freak out that I dont know where I am or whats going on around me. I am thinking its PTSD related to all the stress I have been going through. Its catching up to me now. Did anyone hear of emsam? Or the liver excuse? I was so panicked that I asked the dr for valium when she suggested xanax. She marked in my chart that I must be an addict and wouldnt give me valium. I have been dealing with stress for a long time, and recently got bad news and I am going out of my mind..so for me to finally breakdown reach out for help and ask for meds is a big deal. Only for them to turn around and acuse me of being an addict ! now I have no help at all. THe side effects of that emsam are far worse than anything... can worsen panic and I wont take it. I did take a piece of the 1 valium I had, I dont like how I feel on meds, so I hope I can get through this without it.! The psych appt is 2 weeks away !

Old 07-12-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

I think with some doctors we have to watch the way we word things maybe....i dunno just taking a guess.I have heard of people going to their doctor and specifically asking for a certain valium or benzo and the doctor either prescribes a different kind or wont even prescribe any.Of course there are some out there addicted so I guess some doctors are leary.I do however think it was bad judgement on your doctor to label you as an addict if you have no history of over taking your meds.Some doctors wont prescribe certain meds at all.I ran into this with one of my doctors she refused to give me a benzo or valium just an anti depressant.I think its deffinitely worth a shot trying without meds.I no longer take meds and im doing pretty good.Dont get discouraged though if it gets to bad and you turn to the meds.I have been on and off meds in the past.

take care and best of luck

Old 07-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
    mattsmom105
    (female)

mattsmom105 HB User

Yea, its a blessing in disguise about not getting the valium. Who knows, I may have gotten addicted and I dont want to rely on anything. Now I take a benadryl before bed. I was trying to not use those either, but I stay up half the night... and feel on edge and jumpy as I lie down and try to go to sleep and I cant stop my racing thoughts about everything I am worried about.

Michele

Old 07-29-2006, 10:56 AM   #9
    piperanne
    (female)

piperanne HB User

I get the hot flash too! It's terrible......I feel as if I'm burning alive and then off to the bathroom to throwup or ya know! When that hot flash comes that's when I get very scared and panicy. You're not the only one!

Closed Thread