It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Will this ever go away?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
    MiLuckiiStarz
    Inactive
    (female)

MiLuckiiStarz HB User
    Will this ever go away?

So Ive dealt with anxiety for 5+ years or so now, but recently (on and off) for the last year its been SO much worse and even more persistent. I find this board is real helpful, so I like posting to other people that KNOW what Im dealing with. In the last month and a half its been HORRIBLE. Its hard for me to leave the house, and the sad thing is now its not triggered, its just always there. I mean Im calm sometimes but theres still that disassociated feeling. I feel like Im not in my own body, I feel like Im part of a TV show and like I wont be able to control my body even though I can and its so uncomfortable. I dont know if my eyes are messed up (got checked and I have a stigmatism and Im getting glasses) or if its my sinuses or what but its just so annoying. And it just gets worse as I get older! I just want it to go away! Because early on it was just about death and such, just randomly. And now its a constant feeling. Ive always been shy, but Ive always been a people person and its just been hard being around people in the last half a year. I dropped out of school because of it. Id walk around the halls with all those people there and it would just feel like I was walking through empty halls, I mean I knew I wasnt but still. Im always jittery feeling, feels like lightning is running through my arms (doesnt hurt, just a sensation).

I just want to know that this will pass. That I am normal, and that Im not losing my mind, and Im not losing control. I dont want to have to be locked up for the rest of my life.

My dr always blames it on sinuses or allergies, and Im going to get a psychologist soon but I just want to know that you can get over it. Even when youre at your lowest. I WANT MY LIFE BACK.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 04:14 AM   #2
    Bev92
    (female)

Bev92 HB User
    Re: Will this ever go away?

I don't know if you remember me, I posted to you once before. I know EXACTLY how you're feeling. I have to say though, this is awesome yet strange but I haven't had an attack in the last 3 days, and I've had them almost every day for a really long time, bad ones. It may sound odd but I'm currently reading a fantastic book my mom recommened to me about using your mind to create things and prevent health problems, and ever since I've been reading it, It feels like I've gotten much better! Every day I wake up, I tell myself three things in my mind. And they are "I am health, I feel great, I am Joy". I know it sounds weird, but so far I haven't felt so good in a long time! I think you should try it, and really try to feel what you're saying. I do it three times a day. Another thing I've been doing is when I start to feel an attack coming on, or my heart feels like it's about to race, I take deep breaths and I tell myself I'm fine. And it goes away! That's how desperate I was to feel better. Since you have nothing to lose I'd really like if you'd try this method and then in a weeks time let me know what happens. I hope you feel better soon, and remember, it's all in our heads, we just need a way to balance it out and I think I'm on the right track.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
    MiLuckiiStarz
    Inactive
    (female)

MiLuckiiStarz HB User

You know whats weird, I woke up this morning and read your reply. Tried what you said, and I dont know if it was that thinking or the long, helpful talk me and my friend had last night but SO FAR (not to jinx it!) I havent felt nervous or panicky or "sick" at all... Its a wonderful feeling, I just hope itll last through the day. Yesterday infact I vowed to myself that today I wouldnt let my panic get the best of me! Wish me luck!

Old 07-15-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
    Parker10

Parker10 HB User

I also feel like I have a constant panic attack, can barely sit and watch a tv show, if I had one hour of relief a day I'd be the happiest person in the world

Old 07-15-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
    MiLuckiiStarz
    Inactive
    (female)

MiLuckiiStarz HB User

Oh I know what you mean! But the advice given above is really a great thing to try, the mind is a powerful thing.

Give it a try, couldnt make things worse!

Last edited by msmod; 07-15-2006 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
    Cinn
    Inactive
    (female)

Cinn HB User

Hi, my on line name is Cinn. I"ve had Panic disorder for over 15 years now. And I wanted to tell you that it will pass, sit down and say "Stop" to all your thoughts. I don't know if you read the sticky post about the symptoms of panic/anxiety attacks. You are normal! And there is help out there for you!
    There are a couple of things that you might want to check right now. Your breathing and your thoughts. You can check your breathing by putting one hand on your chest and one hand below your ribs. Now if the hand on your chest moves and not the other. You are breathing from your upper chest. And what needs to happen is trying to get your hand below your ribs to move.
    I can't lie, it will cause you some discomfort. But tell yourself. I"m practicing my breathing.
    I don't want to make this all short. But I just want to give you some tips to help you out. It won't cure it, but it will slow you down alittle. Until you can go take some classes (Kaiser Permanente has a health education class called Mind and Body, it's for Panic/ Anxiety and see a Cognitive Behavior PHD. One that specializes in Panic disorder. It's the best kind of help you can get. It helps you overcome panic attacks. I"m into my 4th week of it. It's hard work, but it's paying off.
    Also here are a few things you can write down and repeat when you're having a panic attack

I can handle this
    I can stand up and face my panic attack
    I will survive the panic attack and I will be okay
    I do not have to worry about my panic attacks
    I can over come panic attacks
    I will not faint, die, lose control or go crazy from this
    What is the worst thing that is likely to happen? Nothing!
    I will survive the panic attack and I will be okay
    Anxiety / Panic Attacks are not the least bit dangerous or harmful
    Take 5 deep breaths of Air, do it slowly
    I can live through this and I will live through this
    These physical sensations are just exaggerations of normal bodily reactions to stress!
    Focus on something else!
    Most of what I'm afraid of never really happens
    I"m patient with my progress
    Feel the fear, do it anyways
    Feelings are not facts, Just because I feel it, doesn't meant it's true
    I cannot "Go Crazy" from a panic attack
    A panic attack can not cause me to "lose control" of myself!
    A panic attack will not cause me to die
    Anxiety is uncomfortable, but it's not dangerous
    This is not the worst thing that can happen
    The fear starts to fade way by itself. This will be over shortly
    Will this matter 5 years from now? Probably not, So why be so upset?

And talk back to those negaitive thoughts, for ever negaitive thought counter it will a positive one.

Example, I can't stand this. Counter it with, I can stand this. I can over come my panic attacks. Be on top of it.

I would just like to add. Because I know I am posting alot of stuff.
    But you can do it. I believe we can all get healthy again!

If you need more answers, please let me know!
    I hope I can be of some help to you!
    Cinn

Last edited by msmod; 07-15-2006 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. There's no need to re-post or offer to re-post something that's already a "Sticky" post on the board. Ms_Mod

Old 07-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
    Bev92
    (female)

Bev92 HB User

I'm so happy you're feeling better! I hope it's not just a coincidence. But as soon as I started doing it I felt myself get better right away, my mom also really helped me to understand why things happen and we talked about it for a good hour and that helps me to stay positive. I'm feeling normal now and I love it!! Just keep it up, and if you ever start to feel bad again, don't give up and say it's not working, just fight it and say "I am feeling SO good today" and take a deep breath and try to believe it. I haven't found anything in the world that works as good as this...and you're right, our minds are very powerful and they're meant to be used to create whatever you want in life. Let me know how it's going.

Old 07-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
    Amy D.J.
    (female)

Amy D.J. HB User

Thank You so much for The information and positive thinking I have been using it all and I am Finding it works like a charm!! Amy J.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
    mattsmom105
    (female)

mattsmom105 HB User

I know exactly how you feel about constant panic and the lightning feeling and it sux. I agree that the mind is a powerful thing. Have to talk yourself out of it and remind yourself its all in your head. I forced myself to drive down the street even though I felt like I was in a movie not in my body. The more I forced myself, the more I was able to do. But I found that most of all TALKING to people really helps. I know I have had a lot of stress and talking about it and having support really helps. I know for me, my body is reacting to all the stress.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
    MiLuckiiStarz
    Inactive
    (female)

MiLuckiiStarz HB User

I think I spoke too soon I was doing PERFECTLY, for the first time in a while I didnt really feel disassociative. Drove over to my friends (15 minute drive) and was perfectly fine. Got there and we were just sitting watching movies because shes recovering from wisdom teeth removal and I just got shaky. Some points I wanted to scream, it passed after a bit but there was really no cause I could see for why started. Needless to say the disassociative feeling was back. I hate it though, as odd as this sounds, I was sitting there thinking about my drive home and I honestly couldnt picture the drive home, I never can, Im always like "I cant do that" I mean I dont hold myself back but those thoughts flash. Sometimes it seems like I forgot what JUST happened, but I think about it and I know, it just makes me feel like Im losing my mind. Its like Ive "lost touch with reality", I just want to be good again. Im on my 3rd day of Effexor (see other post if you have had any experiences with it!) so I guess we will see, guh you guys on this board are so helpful and comforting!

Old 07-16-2006, 08:18 AM   #11
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

Great advice here.....I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder/panic 13 years ago.The mind is more powerful then we know.The power of positive thinking is amazing to me.I know it doesnt always work for everyone.I still have days I cant seem to talk myself out of the mess,but for the most part it works for me.I spent years on med and off meds nothing has worked like using my mind.Now the meds certainly helped me get through for the time being but I thought for me I must learn how to fight this without meds because I didnt just want it masked.Just because it didnt work for you the other day doesnt mean its a lost cause....like I said I have my days.Besides you had just started trying if you really want to give this a go then you would have to make this your everyday thing even when panic/anxiety is really bad.If it is going to work for you over time you will see this once your mind is re-conditioned you will have way more good days then bad!I still wake up some days feeling bad but I still tell myself "I am healthy and I am going to make the most of another day I have been blessed with now what am I gonna do today..." I do this even when I feel lousey with anxiety symptoms and alot I mean ALOT of times once I do that and then get out there and get myself busy the anxiety fades off.If I feel something unusual I try and blow it off and not put any focus on the symptom. Hang in there!
    I loved your thread from the 15th cinn! I may use some of those too.

Last edited by tnmomofive; 07-16-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:21 AM   #12
    Amy D.J.
    (female)

Amy D.J. HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Will this ever go away?

Cinn, I have been saying I can do it!! and it does seem to work sometimes it is not always easy but this board has so much support and also so does my family that I know panic is not going to win, it is also good to know that I am not alone in this fight!! Amy J

Old 07-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #13
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

I also wanted to add that if you take any anti anxiety meds do not feel bad if you pop a xanax or whatever here and there to help you through.....it takes time.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:18 PM   #14
    Bev92
    (female)

Bev92 HB User

tnmomofive...exactly!! It can take some practice for some people, but never give up because everyone has their own power to do this, you just really have to believe in it!

MiLuckiiStarz...don't worry, you can do it. I had the same thing happen to me the first day I tried this. It was off and on. I got shakey and a little dizzy but I kept on and I won't let it control me. Another thing I'd say was "I am fine, this isn't happening, Stop it" and it would go away. You have to really tell yourself that it's just in your head and demand it to stop. Believe me, keep it up and you'll see.

I haven't had even one bad feeling of an attack yet. Last night I felt a stomach ache coming on and I told myself it wasn't really there, I kept saying in my mind that I felt great over and over. I swear, it faded off in about 5 minutes. I wish I knew about this method sooner....if yall want to know the name of the book I'm reading, it's called 'A Pocket Full of Money' and it's an online book. It's not just about money..obviously, it's such an interesting book so far!

Closed Thread