It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• beta blocker?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
    beta blocker?

HI all! I have had panic disorder for years I am 28. I recently had a child(5 months) And my panic has been severe. I am always tense and worrying myself crazy! I have extreme health anxiety. I recently had a holter monitor on and it showed some irregular heartbeats the doc said not life threatning He wanted to put me in beta blocker for it. Why? I was breastfeeding them I am not now but if It is not going to kill me why take the meds?
    What is your imput.thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
    boxerlver227
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

boxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB Userboxerlver227 HB User
    Smile Re: beta blocker?

Hi worrywort
    It is to my understanding that beta blockers are used to treat panic disorder as well as many other illness, such as migraines, heart problems, high blood pressue, and angina.
    My cardio Dr. at the time told me that beta blockers have the ability to block the action of certain body chemicals, called beta receptors in the autonomic nervous system. He also told me beta blockers are very effective in treating performance anxiety.. "He never does a speech without one" Quote.
    Beta blockers help treat trembling, palpitations, rapid breathing, sweating, Lightheadness, and rapid pulse, by slowing down the nervous system. I myself was perscribed toprol XL but after taking it I was soooo sluggish.. I felt like sleeping all the time, which is totally normal until your body adjusts to the medication, I did notice the heart rate change, I usually run a fast heart rate 90's and over 100, and on the beta blocker my heart rate was in the 60's. BIG diffrence. I felt very very relaxed, and calm.. beta blockers also blocks the harmful effects of stress hormone on your heart.
    I had a baby so I was stopping all medication treatment until after birth. Now it's been 1 1/2 years and I am wondering if I should give the beta blocker another try. I suffer from horriable headaches, vertigo, and panic attacks. I think giving the beta blockers is worth a try, see how your body reacts perhaps this drug could be benifical to you!
    P.S. I do know the Doctors would rather try beta blockers first verses benzo type drugs, It has the same effect without the dependency.
    I hope this was helpful to you.. Any thoughts or questions let me know!
    Boxerlover

Last edited by boxerlver227; 09-03-2006 at 07:49 PM.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
    Re: beta blocker?

i am so glad i read this. cardio told me to take an inderal whenever i have palpitaions. told me i don't have to take it everyday just when i have them. i didn't realize they could help sweating too which has been a big problem lately. i believe the palps are stress related at this point in my life and my heart has checked out ok. i tried toprol first and had some bad reactions. only took an inderal last night and had no side effects. i do take BP meds but never realized beta blockers helped so many things. thanks.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
    CircusSquirrel
    Veteran
    (female)

CircusSquirrel HB User

Beta-blockers are very helpful, but they DO NOT have the same effects as benzodiazepines! Those are two very different classes of drugs! Beta-blockers are most helpful for performance anxiety, people who have problems with sweating, trembling, and most of all, rapid heart rate. Beta-blockers essentially block some of adrenaline's effects on the heart and sympathetic nervous system. This can cause alleviation of symptoms in some people, especially if the above symptoms set you off into panic mode. Beta-blockers do not help the psychological component and are very rarely used as the sole treatment for anxiety unless a person simply has performance anxiety (for example, tests or speeches). I take a beta-blocker, and while they are generally pretty well tolerated, they do have side effects. Too high a dose can make a person very tired, the heartbeat may become quite slow especially in fit people, lightheadedness especially upon standing is also relatively common, as are cold extremities. I take beta-blockers for a tachycardia that is unrelated to anxiety (of course anxiety makes it worse, just as anxiety makes pretty much everything worse, but it isn't caused by anxiety). If you're really obsessing over heart feelings, I think beta-blockers are definitely worth trying, but don't expect them to magically make all your anxiety go away (if they do, that would be great!).

Old 09-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Thanks all. I don't have a fast heart rate just irregular beats, don't know why. I am just very weird about meds as most of us are. I will not take anything unless I have to! Like an anti depressant, it took me 5 years of trying natural methods to rid anxiety till I finally gave in to meds. I go to my psych on thursday to be put on meds again since I am done breastfeeding. I have not called my cardio doc yet.
    Thanks so much for the info, maybe it would benefit me to take them.

Closed Thread