It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• fear of death?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
    topher78714
    (male)

topher78714 HB User
    Unhappy fear of death?

Hello I am 20 years old and for as long as I can remember I had this phobia of death. I mean most people I know are scared of it, but the second death gets on my mind I get naucious and very upset and stressed and anxious and such. When I think about it I can't sleep and will be up all night worrying. I am just wondering how normal is it to be this upset over it, and can anybody give me any advice on how I can maybe conquer this phobia or at least be able to deal with it, with out falling to peices. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2007, 02:55 AM   #2
    jete23
    (female)

jete23 HB User
    Re: fear of death?

I too am afraid of death, which I guess then causes health anxiety b/c if I get a chest pain or head pain, I automatically think something is wrong with me and I'm gonna die. I don't necessarily fall to pieces as you say, but gt very freaked out if I start to think about it. I guess to its not so much just about me. I have been very fortunate in that I am 26 and really have not had someone that close to me pass on-parents, grandparents etc. all living. So, if I think about my grandparents passing away too, I flip out as well.
    I remember being a little kid and having this reoccuring dream where my elementary school was on fire. We could only get out by climbing out one of the windows. Each time, I wouldn't die, but get out the window, just as flames started to come out of it, like I had gotten out in the nick of time.
    Since my PAs flared up, I have been thinking about that dream and thinking about going to a P-doc to have them analyze it for me.
    I really dont know what to tell you as far as how to overcome or deal with this fear. I guess just to try and distract yourself when you start thinking like that. Get on the computer or something.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
    zapp7
    (male)

zapp7 HB User

I'm 20, and I have been worrying about death for the last two weeks. I haven't had any panic attacks or anything, but it's constantly been on my mind, and it's preventing me from enjoying things that I used to enjoy doing.

It's kind of selfish worrying too. I just fear not existing. I think the main problem is that I can't believe in something unless I see proof, therefore I have trouble believing there is some sort of afterlife.

I've told myself all of the logical arguments; such as I'm wasting time worrying about it since there's nothing I can do about it, I'm still very young and have a very long time left, but no matter what I think, the fear still seems to be in the back of my mind.

I'm seeing a counsellor at school next week, so hopefully that will be of some help.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I've had similar fears. Amazing how there are days when I feel so horrible that I have suicidal thoughts, but days when I'm feeling normal and think about death, it scares the crap out of me. I would say it's a rational fear for anyone since it's an inevitable fate. The only way to deal with it is to do your best to not think about it. Easier said than done, I know, but unless you can have yourself cryogenically frozen, it's really the only thing we can do.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
    MissAngela
    Veteran
    (female)

MissAngela HB User

I can totally relate to this also. There have been times when I have been sure I was slowly dying. Sometimes I feel like I am living waiting to die because its such an extreme fear of mine that I can't control.

Good Luck!

Angie

Old 01-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
    wholegrain
    Veteran
    (female)

wholegrain HB User

This is my main panic stimulator, the bane of my existence. I am afraid of nothing at all on this planet except death. It's completely irrational and no one I have talked to has truly understood it. The only thing that helps me is just not thinking about it.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
    Tonyellen
    (female)

Tonyellen HB User

Here I thought I was the only one in the world who had this intense fear. I've had a fear of death since I was a little girl. The only thing that keeps me sane is the hope that there is an after life. Keeping those hopes is the only thing that got me through when my dad died. That was a really difficult time for me but I think it helped a lot thinking that he was still 'around'.

The thing that bothers me most about dying is when my time comes will I be awake and know that i'm taking my last breath? That is what freaks me out more than anything. Because I would be so sad and angry that i'm drawing my last breath. I hope I go in my sleep or go quickly. No thinking about it.

And of course with a fear of death, every little ache or pain is either cancer or a brain tumor. My cousin died of a brain tumor when she was only 43, so of course I think it's going to happen to me too. But, I think the biggest fear or phobia that I have is the fear of an asteroid hitting the earth. Some kind of calamity that will kill us all. I never had a fear of it until i saw something on tv when i was 16. That did it for me. When I'd try going to sleep at night and a plane would go over, I was sure it was an asteroid coming down to squash me. I still worry about that all the time. I feel like such a geek worrying about stuff that is completely out of my control. But I can't help it!

Since I've had my kids I have just really tried to enjoy every minute with them and enjoy life to the fullest. Just try not to think about 'the end'.

Good luck to you. Do you feel better knowing that you aren't alone? I do!

Take care

Old 02-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
    Lee1989
    (male)

Lee1989 HB User

im exactly the same as this too ive had fear of death and the world ending since i was around 11 years old, im 17 years old now.

on topic: my fear wont last long the longest ive ever worried about death is 2 minutes, it usually causes me to run out of the room and feel like crying because i cant prevent my death, but this may sound childish but it works a charm for me, i just think of god, i make a joke to god in my mind and laugh about it i say things in my mind like "yea im gonna beat u @ some sort of game and i laugh about it and feel alot better" or you could also think of your own theorys to life after death such as : if its possible to live, then why is it so impossible to live after you die?

2 think of "ghosts" theres also a program called "the boy who lived before" when i heard of this i felt great" so watchign that could also help you.

3 this may sound wierd but try to look forward to death, and what i mean is, all these things in the universe the sun the moon etc its a little strange how there all just perfectly put in place for us to live, the moon for example controls the tides, the sun is just the exact distance we need it to live, so there has to be some meaning behind it, and the only way to find out is death

4 think of death as the next stage of evolution, ex; When i die i go to another universe with much more advance technoligy, think to yourself more possible theorys relating to this "yea and thats how you explain so called "aliens" they could be the future you looking down on you because there so advanced.. or ghosts ex; many people have reported loved ones saving there lifes and theres alot of true storys on it, so.. when you die thats the next evolution, with the next stage of technology, your loved ones that have passed away are here, they use this technology to project themselves and warn you

they may sound outrages or very childish but it works to cheer yourself up or laugh about it

hope this helps

Last edited by msmod; 02-06-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
    wholegrain
    Veteran
    (female)

wholegrain HB User

Interesting Lee. That helps me.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
    dani123
    (female)

dani123 HB User

hello, i have been feelin the same am havin panic attacks nd am conviced am goin to die,

Old 02-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
    teacher2be
    Veteran
    (female)

teacher2be HB User

yep i also fear death big time. i have health anxiety and am always worried i have cancer or some disease or something. i turn a sinus infection into cancer right away. i have panic attacks over all of this. i guess i am a hypochondriac which i have never admitted before. i just worry over everything and am so scared of getting really sick and dying.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
    shmeeadiggle
    (female)

shmeeadiggle HB User

its funny that i found your post because i suffer from anxiety and im pretty sure it all has to do with my fear of death... i can remember when i was littile being afraid of it, but the past year or so its really been getting to me. the thought of dying it sickening... and the fact that its unavoidable scares me so bad.... it keeps me up all night panicing.. i really hope you find help

Old 03-17-2007, 03:39 AM   #13
    andromeda246
    (female)

andromeda246 HB User

The only way to conquor your fear is to face it, I don't mean by dying. Let's face it everyone has to die but we should live to fullest as long as possible before we go. Peace of mind helps me alot, so I have regular check ups and keep a blood pressure monitor with me at all times. Then when I feel a panic attack coming I reassure myself that "Your heart is fine and strong", Colestrol low, kidneys fine, liver function normal, check my blood pressure and slowly convince myself that it is all in my mind. That doesn't mean I don't have the attck but can rationalize that it is what it is and not something more sinister. When I place myself in a phobic situation i.e flying on a plane, I make sure to consult with my doctor and have my meds to hand as my brain breaks away from normal routine and I can not think rationally.

It is comforting to know that there are many people out there that suffer the same affliction.

Best of luck

Last edited by msmod; 03-17-2007 at 08:45 AM.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
    Pink4Flower
    (female)

Pink4Flower HB User

I'm right there with you all.. My anxiety and panic attacks started after my first experience with death. My grandpa that I loved DEARLY died the day before my 10th birthday and ever since then, I get sick over the thought of death. I've had horrible panic attacks, and have a continued anxiety disorder because of it. My main fear is how it is going to happen. Like someone else had mentioned, i'm TERRIFIED of knowing that it is coming. I PRAY that is it quick, and I don't know it's happening. My biggest fear is being told how long I have left.

My only advice is keep busy. If a panic attack hits, let it all out. Cry, scream, say all the things you're afraid to talk about normally... and grab a paper bag to breathe into. It helps..

Old 03-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #15
    artichack
    (male)

artichack HB User

Hello, I'm new here on this board...have very bad panic attacks ever since I was a little kid...my last three have been brought on by thinking about death. I hypervenilate...my body feels like it is shutting down...along with my brain...this last episode landed me in the hospital emergency room thinking I was dying...very scarey feeling...I'm trying to find some sort of peace within myself...searching for a "higher" being, force or something to explain what happens eventually...I want to belive we have a soul...just trying to work it all out...Thanks for letting me get this out of my head...so much stuff working all at once...depression, panic attacks...anxiety... all the different meds...I keep thinking positive...things are getting better...only way I can get through the days...enough talk...again thanks for the support...with the health board...Artichack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread