It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Feeling Like You Cant Breathe

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
    RIGIRL
    (female)

RIGIRL HB User
    Feeling Like You Cant Breathe

Trying To Find A Cure For This Problem. I Feel Like Im Not Getting Enough Air And Im Constantly Taking Deep Breaths. I Have Seen Alot Of People Post About The Same Thing But I Cant Find Answers As To What Brings This On. Every Time I Go To Doctors They Say Im Ok And Its Probably Anxiety But Is There Anything That Can Help This? It Will Just Start Out Of The Blue And Sometimes Lasts For A Week Or 2 Then It Will Just Go Away. If Anyone Has Answers Please Help. Im So Sick Of Dealing With This. Right Now Im Taking Valiums Just To Keep Me Calm. Thanks
    Gina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User
    Re: Feeling Like You Cant Breathe

I have the same exact thing, but mine has been with me for 5 weeks now. It is exhausting and causes me to go into a panic attack at least twice a day just thinking I cannot breathe and am going to die. I cannot even talk sometimes because I feel it's too much of an effort. I used to run 3-5 miles/day and for the past 4 weeks or so, I have not been able to run at all, even walking it a challenge. I have this breathless thing really bad and I have tried celexa which did not agree with my body. I am now on xanax, and that isn't helping either. I know it's from anxiety, but it seem that the anti-anxiety meds are not providing any relief of this. I am trying acupuncture next week to try to calm my system. I was on ativan weeks ago, and that didn't help either. i'm feeling very scared and helpless with this. IT really interferes with all aspects of my life. Eating and sleeping is a challenge, talking and playing with my kids just rarely happens nowadays. I'm beyond upset by all this.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
    RIGIRL
    (female)

RIGIRL HB User

girl, i feel you. i dont understand why we get this. i am taking valiums n it does calm me down but it doesnt get rid of it. im so sick of this and the only things doctors want to do is give us antidepressents and i dont want to take them becsuse then you get other problems. i applied for free care at the hospital so when i get covered i am going to the best therapist that deals with panic disorders. i cant go to the gym either, all i do is lay down because if i lay down flat on my back n watch tv n relax it helps so try that and see if it works for you. maybe ill try the acupuncture too. hey please keep in touch with me if you find any cures or just want to talk. we need to find answers

Last edited by moderator2; 03-02-2007 at 06:21 PM.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User

I'm wondering how you are doing today? I was doing OK until around noon and then the air hunger started in again and now it's really vicious and is probably going to send me into a panic attack at any time. I just cannot get a deep breath and WHY do I feel I need one? This is just so ***arre and the scariest feeling ever! Feeling as if you cannot breathe results in feeling like you cannot live, and I definitely cannot live like this. It is the worst!

I hope you are doing better today and having some relief.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
    RIGIRL
    (female)

RIGIRL HB User

Hi, How Are You Today? I Thought I Left A Post Here For You Yesterday But I Dont See It. Anyway, I Still Have The Same Problem, I Wish It Would Just Go Away. Im Starting To Think It Is An Ocd Type Of Problem. Our Minds Get Fixated On How We Are Breathing Which Makes Us Constantly Suffer From This. Let Me Know How you Are

Last edited by msmod; 03-04-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User

Hi,

Starting late last night, the breathing thing got a little better and it stayed a little better this morning, but I've been feeling really out of it, like weak and shakey and just not myself. Very tired, too. I also am fearing the breathing trouble to come back full force so I think I'm just generally nervous now... I have an acupuncture appt. tomorrow. I am hoping it will relieve all of this junk!

Old 03-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
    RIGIRL
    (female)

RIGIRL HB User

Hi,
    Try N Go Out N Do Something Like Get Your Nails Done Or Get A Pedicure, I Bet You It Will Go Away Cause Your Mind Will Be On Something Else. Keep In Touch

Old 03-05-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User

I have tried that and realized I cannot even go out because I've just been in a panic state for so long... I feel weak and shakey and just not right at all. Going out at all these days is a challenge. I had to pick up my daughter at preschool and thought I would go into a full blown panic attack... scary! I started taking a magnesium supplement yesterday so I'll see if that helps any.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
    RIGIRL
    (female)

RIGIRL HB User

I Use To Take Lexapro N It Def Helps So You Mite Want To Ask Your Doctor To Give U That N See If It Helps For A While.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User

I was on Celexa a week and a half ago for 5 days and had some major side effects... went to the ER due to tremors and panic attacks that lasted from 10pm-5am straight! So they ER doc told me to come off of it. I also had severe nausea. I know Celexa and Lexapro are similar, but my doc on Thurs. might try me on Lexapro or one of the other SSRI drugs. All I know is I will never try Celexa again! That was the worst for me!

How long were you on Lexapro for? I'm worried about weight gain on these SSRI drugs... Did you gain anything on it?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #11
    RIGIRL
    (female)

RIGIRL HB User

I Was Only On It For 3 Months and Then I Went Off. I Didnt Really Gain Weight But After A While You Start To Crave Food. If I Stayed On It Longer I Probably Would Have. It Definitly Starts To Work Quick. I Still Have A Bunch Left and Even Though They Tell You Not To Go On and Off Of It, When My Breathing Gets Real Bad I Will Take It For A Couple Of Days and It Goes Away and Then I Just Stop Taking It. It Stops You From Dwelling On The Same Things In Your Head. Makes you Very Happy. I Would Try It If You Feel That Bad. Then Once youFeel Better Come Off Of It and See How you Feel But If You Stay On It Long Make Sure You Wean Your Self Off Of It Because The Withdrawls Suck. I Was Only Taking 10 Millagrams. If I Take Them Now For A Few Days I Only Take 5 Millagrams. I Heard That Zoloft Doesnt Cause Weight Gain. If You Feel Jittery The First Couple Days Take Valium Or Lorazapam With It.

Last edited by msmod; 03-05-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Removed text message chat room language and replaced it with real words. Ms_Mod

Old 03-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #12
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User

Yeah, when I was on the Celexa, my breathing was better too, after 2-3 days, but I had to come off. I'm almost positive my doc on Thurs. will prescribe me either Lexapro, Zoloft, or Paxil or Prozac. I can deal with the food cravings and hunger... I'll just not eat stuff and I'll make sure I exercise, when I finally feel better, but I was wondering if it shifts metabolism to make ppl gain weight. I heard over the long term, like after 6 months or so, it starts to alter metabolism. I've already been on xanax, which I usually take just at night, before going to bed. I start to panic all the time now before bed because I fear going to sleep from the traumatic experience I had when on Celexa. Ever since coming off that, I have needed xanax. I have tried Lorazepam 6 times and i felt no different on it at all... it didn't calm me, or make me sleepy or anything--it was like a sugar pill.

I'm sort of nervous and excited both for my appt. tomorrow with acupuncture. I am hoping it relaxes me!!! I need something that will do the trick.

How has your breathing been? Are you taking the Lexapro right now for a couple of days?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:53 AM   #13
    RIGIRL
    (female)

RIGIRL HB User

No I Feel Alot Better Today. You Should Be Taking Xanex During The Day, It Will Keep You Calm. I Have Been Taking Valiums Throughout The Day For The Whole Week and It Helps. Yea I Think Anti Depr Slow Your Metab Down After A While.

Last edited by msmod; 03-05-2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Removed text message chat room language and replaced it with real words. Ms_Mod

Old 03-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
    terry111
    (female)

terry111 HB User

I just really don't want to take the xanax unless i have to, like just before a panic attack might happen. That's how it was prescribe to me, it wasn't prescribed to me to take 3 times a day or whatever it is... so, I'm trying to just take it at night. But it's really on an "as-needed" basis. I wonder if valium would work better for me. The ativan didn't work and the xanax works maybe slightly, but I think valium might be better for me too... I'm going to ask about it on Thursday. I always have really tense muscles and I think the valium would be good for that.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #15
    RIGIRL
    (female)

RIGIRL HB User

i understand what you are saying but what you are describing, you are having panic attacks all day and the valium will calm you. i take like 2 mgrms 2 or 3 times a day.

Closed Thread