It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• anyone ever been addicted to Klonopin....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
    sondra52
    (female)

sondra52 HB User
    anyone ever been addicted to Klonopin....

I have had agorophobia/panic attacks/depression for almost 30 years, and my current prescribed addiction is Klonopin (Clonazapem). I was put on that 20 years ago to get me off of Xanax, and am on 4 mg daily. I am wondering if anyone else has been on clonazapem, or knows anyone who has been, and how withdrawal went? I think I've been on every antidepressant on the market, and none of them have been successful. I'm seriously considering ECT, but that's a different story. I had gone inpatient July '06, as it's gotten so bad I haven't worked since then. I asked the psychiatrists, pharmocologists, etc., if part of my problem could be that I probably shouldn't have been on this med so long, but never got a straight answer. They just added Lexapro to it, which made me quit smoking, which is good, but hasn't helped with the mental problems. I've gone off the Lexapro, and am now trying to wean myself from the clonazapem, 1/2 mg monthly. I'm down to 2 mg daily, and feel like I'm losing my mind. Headaches, nausea, anger, anxiety (worse than usual). Just wondered if anyone else has gone off long term use of it, and if there's hope I'll get off of it, or be a clonazapem "lifer". Thanks for any encouragement or suggestions---I'm really losing all my faith in the "professionals".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User
    Re: anyone ever been addicted to Klonopin....

I went on Celexa to get off of Klonopin. It took a while. Since you have been on this drug for a long time - you should taper slowly month after month until you are off.

it is no picnic but... it can be done. Make sure you follow the doctor's orders in how he wants you to come off.

once I was off klonopin for a few months i slowly came off of celexa.

The reason I came off of klonopin is because it caused terrifying depression.

Can I ask why you are?

Old 05-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
    sondra52
    (female)

sondra52 HB User

Thanks so much for answering! I feel so confused. Like I said, the panic/agorophobia I've dealt with for 30 yrs., and have been on so many things. I had been put on klonopin to get me off of xanax about 20 yrs ago. I've never dealt with depression, but about 4 yrs ago, I was totally blindsided by severe depression, and it won't leave! I checked myself into our local mental health hospital in July '06 to see if they could do something about the panic/agorophobia, and that awful depression. I kept asking all of the doctors if the long term use of klonopin could be causing the depression, and if being on it that long was harmful, and none of them would give me a direct answer. I started to check on different websites, and was angry when I read the long term effects of it's use---one of them being depression and increased anxiety, also liver disease. I was so angry with my Dr., and all of them at the hospital! For $1000/day (and I was self-pay), don't you think that would have been the time to work on getting me off of it, in a controlled environment. It has gotten so bad, that at age 54 I'm now on disability, as I'm so depressed, and it's hard for me to leave the house with the agorophobia. Long story short, my Dr. wanted to know why I wanted to go off of it, and I said because from everything I've read, he should have at the very LEAST been seeing me once in a while to do blood work, etc. They had put me on Lexapro plus the Klonopin, but I went off that, as it didn't help at all, and my Dr. said if I felt it necessary to go off the Klonopin, to cut it 1/2 mg. monthly. I'm down from 4 mg to 2 mg., but feel so sick---headaches, nausea, anger, still depression. I wish I'd never have started taking anything 30 yrs. ago! What a roller coaster ride it's been, and none of them really work. I've tried accupuncture, behavior modification, self-help books, meds, I exercise all the time, don't smoke/drink/do drugs, I eat healthy. I'm about tempted to try ECT! Do you think if I just hang in there, I'll eventually get off of it? My Dr. is no help, and they didn't seem overly concerned at the dose and length of time I'd been on it at the hospital. But like you said, I really think the long term use of the klonopin is what brought on the depression. What dose were you on? Sorry this got so long, but it's good to talk to someone who was on it and got off of it. If you can, please reply, okay? Did you have headaches when you went off the klonopin? Thanks!

Last edited by sondra52; 05-30-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 AM   #4
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

I feel sorry that you have not received the care you deserve. Your story is hurting my heart and gut. Things will get better. They did for me with some hard work and dedication.

I would cut back a bit slower than what you have been presribed. The slower the better in this case.

You will feel like you did when you first started getting panic because this medication does not treat it just gets you through. If I didn't get the depression I most likely still be on it.

How long were you on the Lexapro? I did take that med and it took 6 weeks to feel a little difference.

You should try to find another doctor. There are so many kind doctors out there that are experienced and want to help. Ask your local hospital, emergency room, anywhere if they know of any doctors that treat these types of issues.

I had what you have and it will get better with the right treatment and some TLC.

Have you ever tried The Linden Method?

Last edited by j2006; 05-31-2007 at 03:41 AM.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
    itburns2004
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

In 1994 I came off Klonopin. Noone at that time noted it was addictive-idiots! I had been on it a year and a bit for anxiety. I can almost hug this company because it scared me straight after I did finally get off this pill. I was pregnant and the Dr.(quack) who gave it tome told me to lowered it and stop at the end off the weak. WOWOWOW I was a mess for the next month or so. I got real sick for about three weeks, I did end up going to the hospital for three days, the happy news is there is a light at the end of the mess and now I think people wean off this really slowly. You need to realize when you come off these meds your intiale reason that you went on it, is there and if it was not handled then you are back were you started. A Doctor told me something in the hospital that for whatever reason hit home and has stayed with me all these years. He said can you really believe or put your faith into one little pill, you got to believe that you really are the one who calmed yourself down, at some point you need to put your faith in yourself. When panic is at its peak, yes people can need medicine, but weaning off is VERY hard-so be very patient with yourself!! On an alternative note (please read with an open mind) Vitamin B complex, a lot of water and low refined sugar diet does make a difference. There are many books about the yeast connection and anxiety and panic. A long time ago I thought it was silly and honestly too hard for me to even deal with this idea, I know better now!! They have alternative doctors just like real mds and they are so worth your time and they are a lot more patient! There is a book Nutrtional tests for your health by cass ingram-this is a REALLY great book. Obviously, you need to deal with the medicine issue first, but then try the book-I wish everyone could read this book on this site, they would be floored by it.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
    sondra52
    (female)

sondra52 HB User

Today I really feel defeated, and angry. First of all, I was on Lexapro for about 9 mos., and a really low dose, as usually antidepressants make me very hostile, and they tell me some people don't tolerate them well. I've been on so many medications, and the City I live in is pop. approximately 180,000, so it isn't huge, but I have seen so many psychiatrists, and have had 0 luck! And now I'm caught in the health care nightmare---I live on less that $14,000/annual disability income, and have no health coverage until 12/08. So I can't afford $180/visit for a psychiatrist, and I can't go to the free health clinic because I'm not homeless (yet), and there is a 2 yr waiting list at the other place for low income people. Today I feel like I just can't take it anymore. After 30 yrs of the ups and downs of the medications, and now trying to get off this stuff, I'm almost ready to admit defeat, and just keep taking it. After 20 yrs. of being on the klonopin, it's probably done some damage (who'd know, I can't afford to go to the Dr.), so I feel like I may as well stay on it. I'm afraid to go to a Dr. anyway, because I've alledgedly gone to the best here, and they're the ones who have me in this mess. What irks me so badly is that I spent $7,000 self-pay in July '06 to try to get some relief from the depression/panic, and some answers on the meds, and they basically did nothing (other than take what little money I had left!). I walked out of there on 1/2 mg more Klonopin, plus Lexapro, and the same mental condition. I constantly feel like I'm having an "out of body" experience. I have no idea what it would feel like to be semi-normal anymore. I feel bad taking disability, but I'm in no condition to work, that's for sure. I did for 30 yrs. with this stupid disease, but finally it got so bad I couldn't. I appreciate you listening to my whining. I'm usually so mentally strong, but I feel like I have no control over my mind anymore. I'm just so depressed!

Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

Is there a reason why you want to stop Klonopin right now? If you and your doctor think you need to take it then you should take it. don't feel bad about taking it. People with other health issues take medication for their entire life.

I had a problem with SSRI's. The new ones that is. i do better with the older meds. I finally found one that i really liked, prozac. But other health issues i had - i had to stop taking it.

What Klonopin dose are you on? When did you drop your dose?

You have been on Klonopin for a lot of years - so you should expect this to take about a year to come off.

Have you had any therapy in the past? Do you read books regarding panic and anxiety. There are great books out there. I finally got past most of this by using the Linden Method. It is wonderful.

Keep talking to us on the board - we all help each other out. We are here for you!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
    sondra52
    (female)

sondra52 HB User

I guess the main reason is that I've heard so much about how bad the long term effects of it are, so that really scared me. Also, when that depression started so severely 4 yrs ago (I've never dealt with that, just the agorophobia), and I heard one of the side effects of long term Klonopin use was depression, I figured that I should try to get off of it. I've tried so many different drugs, bio-feedback, read lots of self-help books and books dealing with agorophobia/panic attacks, seen tons of psychiatrists, psychologists, tried accupuncture, pray and pray, and I just don't know what to think anymore. For many years, the Klonopin worked. I was an insurance underwriter, and would drive to Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, etc., by myself, no less, and it didn't bother me (well, a little bit, but I could do it). But I get such a kick out of the doctors when they ask me if it's working? Obviously not, or I wouldn't have been in the psychiatric ward, and I wouldn't be homebound, depressed, etc. My Dr. is a general practitioner, and so laid back, half the time I don't think he really is too concerned about anything. Maybe for now I'll just up it back up to the dose I was on, and when I have Medicare in Dec. '08, I'll pursue it with a vengeance. Right now I really don't have the money to be doing any major medical things. Thanks for your kind, sympathetic ear. It's so nice, isn't it, to talk to someone who actually knows what this disease is like! You're a saint. I'll keep you posted (get it, "posted"). I will check out what helped you, and thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll get lucky and this will just go away like it's done in the past. I love those times, but they seem to not last as long anymore, and then it seems to come back worse. Oh well, it could always be worse, right? Thanks again for listening to my ramblings and fears!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
    sondra52
    (female)

sondra52 HB User

I didn't answer one of your questions. I was on 4 mg, and over the past 4 mos I've cut it 1/2 mg a month, so I'm down to 2 mg daily. Maybe that was too much too soon, do you think? I usually don't respond well to antidepressants. I think I've tried them all. I was on Prozac for a month, and I know it works for an awful lot of people, and I was like I was possessed by the devil. I was so angry, and just couldn't control it! I threw a pen across the office at one of my fellow coworkers just because she talked to me, broke down, and got the heck off that. Luckily I'd worked with her for years, so everyone knew it was the drug, not me. They still talk about that when I see my ex-coworkers from there.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:19 AM   #10
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

I think you dropped too fast. I would cut back 1/2 mg every 2 or 3 months. 4mg for 2 months, 3.5 for 2 months etc. Just make sure whatever you do your doctor is in agreement.

Have you tried celexa? That is what got me out of my depression. It took about 5 weeks to work and it really worked.

It was the depression that really scared me. Not that I would ever do anything to harm myself but I did get these brief feelings of suicide. It was awful.

I'm not on any medication right now - I do carry my Klonopin with me in case..... But I havn't really had to take any since last September. I think once.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #11
    patricia jean
    (female)

patricia jean HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sondra52 View Post
    I have had agorophobia/panic attacks/depression for almost 30 years, and my current prescribed addiction is Klonopin (Clonazapem). I was put on that 20 years ago to get me off of Xanax, and am on 4 mg daily. I am wondering if anyone else has been on clonazapem, or knows anyone who has been, and how withdrawal went? I think I've been on every antidepressant on the market, and none of them have been successful. I'm seriously considering ECT, but that's a different story. I had gone inpatient July '06, as it's gotten so bad I haven't worked since then. I asked the psychiatrists, pharmocologists, etc., if part of my problem could be that I probably shouldn't have been on this med so long, but never got a straight answer. They just added Lexapro to it, which made me quit smoking, which is good, but hasn't helped with the mental problems. I've gone off the Lexapro, and am now trying to wean myself from the clonazapem, 1/2 mg monthly. I'm down to 2 mg daily, and feel like I'm losing my mind. Headaches, nausea, anger, anxiety (worse than usual). Just wondered if anyone else has gone off long term use of it, and if there's hope I'll get off of it, or be a clonazapem "lifer". Thanks for any encouragement or suggestions---I'm really losing all my faith in the "professionals".

Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
    patricia jean
    (female)

patricia jean HB User

Hello... I just got back from the E.R. becasue I thought I ws having a heart attack'''...Turns out they think I had a panic attack...which was the worst of the worst...I was taking Citalopram for years and years...but "BAM"...it just stopped working... Going to see the Doc tomorrow for yet another drug to try....Which will be about 12 differnt ones in 20 years...Good luck...

Closed Thread