It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Do no harm, yea right. Anxiety and high blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
    clear
    (male)

clear HB User
    Do no harm, yea right. Anxiety and high blood pressure

I recently sprained my ankle. I had to go to an urgent care facility on the weekend. My blood pressure was 205 / 110. I told the nurse it was going to be high and I didn't want to know about it. I have a severe phobia of going to the doctor / hospital. So, she says, oh my, your blood pressure is 205 / 110. They take me into the xray room. I am on the table in a severe panic attack. I just want to leave. They are getting me in position to take an xray. A nurse knocks on the door and says he has to take this stat. Don't know what it was, but I was to put it in my mouth and let it dissolve. The very rude xray technican wheeled me out. I asked, "how long will this take?" She said you are not leaving here. So the "doctor" comes in and says I am only leaving there in an ambulance to go to the er because I am not going to lose my license. You are not leaving in this condition. I still have a swollen ankle and in a lot of pain. I told him I have white coat hypertension and he said "i am not wearing a white coat". He brings in some paper and says sign this, so I don't lose my license since you refuse to go to the er. All I got about my ankle was it was an avulsion fracture and stage 3 sprain. I told him all i needed to do was get out of there and that would be my blood pressure medication. (I am seeing a doctor about my high blood pressure and I am on medication) I know that is super high. So my question is does anyone experience this spike in blood pressure when having a panic attack? I drove home, sat on the couch for about 15 minutes and took my blood pressure with a home monitor that I know is correct (i test it on me and friends all the time) It was 125/74.

I have this experience all the time when going to the doctor. I tell them, my bp is going to be high, then they send me into a panic attack. It never fails, I get my bp and they start telling me how bad it is. I go into a panic attack and it goes crazy. I monitor at home so I know I am ok. And I am being treated for it.

Does anyone have this Blood Pressure phobia that sends them into a panic attack because of what the nurse / doctor says? I am more afraid of getting a blood pressure reading than a shot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
    cebo
    (female)

cebo HB User
    Re: Do no harm, yea right. Anxiety and high blood pressure

Hi Clear,
    My blood pressure can go to 210/137 and that is without having a panic attack. I am too scared to take my bp when I have one. I was told that having a heart attack can feel the same as a panic attrack so now each time I have one I keep thinking is this a heart attack or just a panic attack which makes my anxiety even worse .

My doctor knows that when she take it, it will be higher than when I am at home, like you I hate having it taken as it also goes high if I just get the slightest bit excited.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
    blaze-27
    (female)

blaze-27 HB User
    Re: Do no harm, yea right. Anxiety and high blood pressure

Clear

Yeah, it happens to me everytime I go to the doctor, even the eye doctor! But now that I am getting older, it happens other times too. I am trying to learn how to take my bp at home, but I am too anxious to sit and wait 15 minutes before taking it. Always, I think of it when I am anxious or angry about something and then I take it. They want me on toprol every day. I do not like pills. But lately I have had PVC's for the last 4 days and they won't go away. I do not know what is causing this anxiety to return. Could be a myriad of things. I want to stop it all.

There was a time when I never had "white coat syndrome" . Now I am feeling old, useless, anxious and a failure. I guess that is my answer. I need to be needed again. In a big way. My husband and daughter love me and need me. But they worry about me and do not know how to help. I have taught my daughter anxiety now and she has heart palpitations, etc. I wonder if one can learn the "white coat syndrome" too. She is going to her pediatrician today, we'll see.

Good luck and remember, the docs/medical professionals are only human too. They have bad days, get naked, and have to wash their hands a million times a day. It's in our chemistry, our make-up, how we are hardwired. Or so I believe.

Last edited by msmod; 10-25-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Closed Thread